Favorite Books for Second Grade Boys

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bixby17

Favorite Books for Second Grade Boys

#1 Post by Bixby17 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:34 am

My son is a good reader.

It's just that he wants to read mostly non-fiction. He hasn't brought home a single fiction book this year from the library.

And he finds most fiction not interesting, or intimidatingly too long.

The only series of fiction books he really likes now is Captain Underpants. I know why he likes them, and we have had discussions when reading them about what is naughty and not appropriate with them. And he says he understands. But he loves them all probably because they are gross and actually pretty entertaining.

I'm trying to get him more interested in fiction books because that is the sort of books they work on in reading at school, and he has difficulties retelling stories sometimes. Part of it is that he has problems gathering his thoughts, but part of it is that he tends not to remember stuff if it isn't interesting to him. So we are working on story retelling at home.

In any event, what books or series of books do you recommend to a 2nd grader who:

1. Wants to read something interesting.
2. Isn't so long that he is intimidated.

Thanks for any help you can give with this. :)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:49 am

I have been volunteering in school libraries for 10 years.

I am judging your son's reading level by the the fact that he can read the Captain Underpants books. (Emma also loved them.)

My suggestions would be the Series of Unfortunate Events series by Lemony Snicket and the Spiderwick Chronicles by DiTerlizzi and Black. I don't love the infantile language in the Junie B. Jones books, but they are funny and will keep him interested in reading.

Beverly Cleary has also written several books that would be suitable for him including Henry Huggins, Henry and Beezus and Henry and Ribsy. Another good book would also be Thomas Rockwell's How To Eat Friend Worms.

Appa23

Re: Favorite Books for Second Grade Boys

#3 Post by Appa23 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:28 am

Bixby17 wrote:My son is a good reader.

It's just that he wants to read mostly non-fiction. He hasn't brought home a single fiction book this year from the library.

And he finds most fiction not interesting, or intimidatingly too long.

The only series of fiction books he really likes now is Captain Underpants. I know why he likes them, and we have had discussions when reading them about what is naughty and not appropriate with them. And he says he understands. But he loves them all probably because they are gross and actually pretty entertaining.

I'm trying to get him more interested in fiction books because that is the sort of books they work on in reading at school, and he has difficulties retelling stories sometimes. Part of it is that he has problems gathering his thoughts, but part of it is that he tends not to remember stuff if it isn't interesting to him. So we are working on story retelling at home.

In any event, what books or series of books do you recommend to a 2nd grader who:

1. Wants to read something interesting.
2. Isn't so long that he is intimidated.

Thanks for any help you can give with this. :)

I had asked a similar question around Christmas time, and I can not remember what books were suggested. :?

I think that there are some definite similarities between our boys. Like most boys, I think, if given the opportunity, they will want to read about insects, snakes, tornadoes, dolphins, and a wide variety of non-fiction "natural" things.

As I may have posted here, The Boy gets to check two books from the school library every Monday. He takes one home, and he is to keep the other book at school for when they have "DEAR" time (Drop Everything and Read). He always was just selelcting non-fiction books, so we added one rule to the school's rules. Every week, he had to pick one chapter (fiction) book. He will read from that book (or another of his fiction books) for at least 30 minutes before bed. When he finishes the book, he is "quizzed" about the book, so we can make sure that he read for content comprehension and ndid ot just "rush" through the book. (It is one of the biggest things that we miss about his old school. There, the kids could go to the library more than once a week. However, they had to pass a computerized test on each book checked out prior to getting to check another book out. The books are color-sorted by reading levels.)

I like PSM's list of books. We were intrigued by the Spiderwiclk Chronicles movie commercial. I may suggest to our son that he check a book out from the school library to see if he likes it. Since he loves Harry Potter books, Lemony Snicket also may be a good idea for him. (He has resisted the "Captain Underpants" books, but I think that it only is because he has not read the book that he got for Christmas. Once he tries it, I am sure that he will like it.)

Since you say that Jackson does not like long books, he may want to look at The Magic Tree House series, as they are not too long. My son also has liked the Encyclopedia Brown series. (Since there is some logic and "thinking" involved, I think that Jackson also might like them.) He also likes the Junie B. Jones books, The "Superfudge" books also are a fun read.

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:36 am

Our friends have a 9 YO grandson.

He's a smart little boy -- he can figure out shooting percentages and ERAs in his head -- but not much of a reader. Fiction OR non-fiction.

Part of his homework, in fact, was to read 15 extra minutes per night because the teacher felt he wasn't reading enough.

Like appa's son, he'd get quizzed on what he was reading, just to make sure he WAS reading.

Nothing worked. His parents bought some recommended books. His grandparents on both sides did, too.

Finally, he had a breakthrough. For his birthday in December, we gave him "Tales of the 76ers," written by the witty & erudite former GM Pat Williams (now of Orlando).

He couldn't put the book down. Now, he wants to read everything. Doesn't matter what -- fiction, non-fiction, cereal boxes. "What's riboflavin, dad?"

So, I will take the fiction lists here and we'll but him some more books.

Thanks.

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:26 pm

What is his real reading level? Second grade, or higher?

I was a bit precocious in that regard, but I remember reading and enjoying the Doctor Doolittle books around that age.

Wish my oldest sister were still around to ask. She was a children's librarian, and from what I've heard, a darned good one.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ladysoleil

#6 Post by ladysoleil » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:45 pm

:) Well, since I deal with this stuff all day, hopefully these will help.

Do you know his actual reading level?

The <i>Flat Stanley</i> books are pretty good but they're "easy" so he may think they are babyish.

I second the <i>"Magic Tree House" </i>series, especially if he already really likes non-fiction.

The Time Warp Trio books are funny and about time travel, so a little history sneaks in there.

The "Franny K. Stein" books aren't as gross as Captain Underpants but are about as goofy.

The Goosebumps series is a little trashy, but they tend to hook younger boys since they can be a little scary and gross.

I'm drawing a blank on titles, but Andrew Clements is great, though may be advanced depending on the book.

If he's a more advanced reader, the Artemis Fowl series is great.

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:09 pm

ladysoleil wrote::) Well, since I deal with this stuff all day, hopefully these will help.

Do you know his actual reading level?

The <i>Flat Stanley</i> books are pretty good but they're "easy" so he may think they are babyish.

I second the <i>"Magic Tree House" </i>series, especially if he already really likes non-fiction.

The Time Warp Trio books are funny and about time travel, so a little history sneaks in there.

The "Franny K. Stein" books aren't as gross as Captain Underpants but are about as goofy.

The Goosebumps series is a little trashy, but they tend to hook younger boys since they can be a little scary and gross.

I'm drawing a blank on titles, but Andrew Clements is great, though may be advanced depending on the book.

If he's a more advanced reader, the Artemis Fowl series is great.
Some of these books sound very interesting. As of the second quarter report, my son seems to be reading in the 4th-5th grade range (they assign letter levels, and he is nearing the end of the alphabet). However, while there may not be as much of a question about "can he read the words", I need to be concerned about content of the books. We slowed him on the Harry Potter books because we did not want to delve into some of the darker themes (and deaths) at this age.

Truth be told, his favorite series of books to read is anything related to Pokemon.

ladysoleil

#8 Post by ladysoleil » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:28 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Some of these books sound very interesting. As of the second quarter report, my son seems to be reading in the 4th-5th grade range (they assign letter levels, and he is nearing the end of the alphabet). However, while there may not be as much of a question about "can he read the words", I need to be concerned about content of the books. We slowed him on the Harry Potter books because we did not want to delve into some of the darker themes (and deaths) at this age.

Truth be told, his favorite series of books to read is anything related to Pokemon.
Content vs. reading ability always gets tricky in the stages where they're reading on the higher levels, because you eventually smack into the issue of age-appropriateness. Great example, I think the Ember series is well-written and the reading level would be right for your son, but post-apocalyptic future societies aren't easy to explain and would probably just worry him in the long run. Extra ditto on Harry Potter.

If you're having conflicts about Harry, you probably want to skim through the Artemis Fowl books before choosing them, they can get a bit heavy in places.

I hear a fair amount of grumbling about the Pokemon-type books, but honestly, they're high interest, engaging and kids will actually read them. It's great to have noble aspirations about literary taste for 7 year olds, but if they won't touch the book, it doesn't matter.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:38 pm

ladysoleil wrote:
I am pleased to report that, as a result of my Millionaire appearance, I got my photo taken with Flat Stanley for a local third-grade class. I was honored.

Appa23

#10 Post by Appa23 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:43 pm

ladysoleil wrote:
Appa23 wrote:

I hear a fair amount of grumbling about the Pokemon-type books, but honestly, they're high interest, engaging and kids will actually read them. It's great to have noble aspirations about literary taste for 7 year olds, but if they won't touch the book, it doesn't matter.
Not such grumbling here. Looking back, I think that they were the catalyst for his reading growth. We never pushed reading on him, and he was not one of those kids that entered Kindergarten reading. However, the phonics instruction clicked with him, and he grasped blending and "rules" fairly fast. He then started reading his Pokemon manuals and books whenever he could.

Additionally, he learned how to read and spell multi-syllabic words from those Pokemon manuals. He would note similar roots for words, like certain Pokemon as compared to real animals.

lilyvonschtupp26

#11 Post by lilyvonschtupp26 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:50 pm

I second the Time Warp Trio Series. They are clever, not too long, and most kids find them addicting. His books, Math Curse and the Frog Prince Continued, are really funny. Also, he might light the Box Car Children series. They are short mysteries.

You've also got options with the Encyclopedia Brown and Young Cam Jansen books. Sidekicks by Dan Danko is a superhero series but from the sidekick perspective. Also, if he's into sports there are also all the Matt Christopher books. My favorite is Nate the great.

have fun reading.

Appa23

#12 Post by Appa23 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:58 pm

I forgot about Nate the Great.

I liked Scholastic book orders much better when my wife was teaching, and we could get books for free or a reduced price.

Bixby17

#13 Post by Bixby17 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:18 pm

Thanks all.

Jackson's ability to read individual words is ahead of his grade level but his ability to retell the stories is lagging. He also gets intimidated by long blocks of text.

I forgot about Encyclopedia Brown. I loved those books.

Need to try some Beverly Cleary because I try to get Jackson to act as book buddy to his younger sister and read to her. I loved those books.

When he gets older, I'll get him the Great Brain books. Those are such well written stories. I read and re-read them for years.