Phishing/spamming query to Those Who Know

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
wintergreen48

Phishing/spamming query to Those Who Know

#1 Post by wintergreen48 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:43 pm

Suppose you get a phishing or spamming message (I know, I know, never happens...) I know that if you open an attachment or click on a link, you have given yourself up to the forces of darkness. But what I am wondering is: is there a risk in just opening the e-mail itself?

I don't get a lot of these things (my filters are pretty good), and the few that I get I just delete without opening/looking at them. But I was wondering if there is a risk in opening the e-mail itself? I figure that the computer savvy people here would know.

Oh, and a sort of related anecdote: I got a message that I was really uncertain about, but did eventually open it. It was from 'Jessica Manlove,' and I figured, that HAS to be a fake name, but the message did not offer to enhance my, um, endowment, nor did it mention that Hot Housewives Want You!!! or anything like that; turns out that 'Jessica Manlove' is her real name, and she is an employee of my college's alumni relations ('please send us money') office.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Re: Phishing/spamming query to Those Who Know

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:50 pm

wintergreen48 wrote: she is an employee of my college's alumni relations ('please send us money') office.
If that's not phishing, I don't know what is!

:D

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:51 pm

I've heard conflicting stories, but I tend to err on the side of caution in these cases. Snopes does not show any viruses/worms that are opened by merely opening the email, but I've also seen warnings about just that. I just can't remember how reputable the source was.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:15 pm

wintergreen48 wrote: I don't get a lot of these things (my filters are pretty good), and the few that I get I just delete without opening/looking at them. But I was wondering if there is a risk in opening the e-mail itself? I figure that the computer savvy people here would know.
In the days when e-mail was just plain text, we used to say there was absolutely no risk. Now, it depends on what kind of software you use to read your e-mail. There have been a few exploits that could work just by reading HTML-rendered e-mail or viewing an image that has been evilly crafted to take advantage of a vulnerability in the image-viewing software.

I'd say the odds are far, far less (particularly if you keep your PC update with the latest security patches) than if you open a suspicious attachment, but we can't give you 100% certainty.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:16 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
wintergreen48 wrote: I don't get a lot of these things (my filters are pretty good), and the few that I get I just delete without opening/looking at them. But I was wondering if there is a risk in opening the e-mail itself? I figure that the computer savvy people here would know.
In the days when e-mail was just plain text, we used to say there was absolutely no risk. Now, it depends on what kind of software you use to read your e-mail. There have been a few exploits that could work just by reading HTML-rendered e-mail or viewing an image that has been evilly crafted to take advantage of a vulnerability in the image-viewing software.

I'd say the odds are far, far less (particularly if you keep your PC update with the latest security patches) than if you open a suspicious attachment, but we can't give you 100% certainty.
I agree. If you have security software than scans your messages, that's better, but there's still a risk.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.