Romney Quit

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

Romney Quit

#1 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:10 pm

Romney Quit

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:21 pm

Sir_Galahad

#3 Post by Sir_Galahad » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:34 pm

Tis a sad day.

That is all.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:47 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:Tis a sad day.

That is all.
As long as he and Huckabee were in the race, the conservative vote was going to be split. IMO it should have been Huckabee who quit because his support is a mile wide and an inch deep. But BTST it may be the case that economic and religious conservatives couldn't unite behind either one.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:55 pm

That is all.
I am sorry that you are upset. I know how I have felt in the past when my candidate doesn't make it past the primaries. (Which may very well happen again.)

I was listening to NPR yesterday and they were interviewing several Republican muckity mucks from California. They don't understand the appeal of McCain and said that if he is nominated, many of the die-hard Republicans who walk the precincts and volunteer won't help out, so not only will Republicans lose the presidential elections, but it would impact local Assembly races.

Though they had pledged to support the Republican party, they would have a difficult time supporting McCain personally. They went on to say that the Democrats would probably win the election and they saw this period of time as a time for "regrouping."

DadofTwins

#6 Post by DadofTwins » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Dear Mitt,

How dumb do you have to be to spend $35 million of your own money in a quixotic quest to beat out two media darlings? I mean, come on, man. Show a little fiscal discipline.

Sincerely,

-Peter Angelos
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:13 pm

DadofTwins wrote:How dumb do you have to be to spend $35 million of your own money in a quixotic quest to beat out two media darlings? I mean, come on, man. Show a little fiscal discipline.
His net worth is around $200 million. He can afford it.

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:23 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:

That is all.
I am sorry that you are upset. I know how I have felt in the past when my candidate doesn't make it past the primaries. (Which may very well happen again.)

I was listening to NPR yesterday and they were interviewing several Republican muckity mucks from California. They don't understand the appeal of McCain and said that if he is nominated, many of the die-hard Republicans who walk the precincts and volunteer won't help out, so not only will Republicans lose the presidential elections, but it would impact local Assembly races.

Though they had pledged to support the Republican party, they would have a difficult time supporting McCain personally. They went on to say that the Democrats would probably win the election and they saw this period of time as a time for "regrouping."
Well, I always have said that if you want to know what Republicans are thinking, ask NPR. (Much like I rely on Fox News to let me know how desperate the Democrats are. <g>)

Looking at the remaining contests, Romney could see that he had few-to-no states that he could win.

Short of some major gaffe in the next few weeks, with the number of East Coast states remaining, McCain is a near-lock.

However, Huckabee should stay in the race. He has several states that he likely will win or could win. This very well could have been a race more like the Clinton-Obama race if not for some odd media slant against his campaign (like asking him during the Super Tuesday coverage why he still was running, when it was clear that he had a much better shot at challenging McCain for delegates than Mitt ever did).

It is interesting to see how Clinton and Obama are campaigning now as a foreshadowing of how they will campaign in a general election. Obama seems to make visits to all of the states, even if they are solid "Red" states. Clinton essentially has ceded all of these states to him by sending Bill or some lackey to represent her. (The importance of your state is shown by who she sends. Today, Obama is speaing at a rally at Omaha's City Auditorium. Meanwhile, Chelsea Clinton is talking to college students in Lincoln. Clearly, this is another Clinton "F U" to Nebraska.)

wbtravis007

#9 Post by wbtravis007 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:29 pm

Appa23 wrote:

That is all.

Well, I always have said that if you want to know what Republicans are thinking, ask NPR. (Much like I rely on Fox News to let me know how desperate the Democrats are. <g>)

Looking at the remaining contests, Romney could see that he had few-to-no states that he could win.

Short of some major gaffe in the next few weeks, with the number of East Coast states remaining, McCain is a near-lock.

However, Huckabee should stay in the race. He has several states that he likely will win or could win. This very well could have been a race more like the Clinton-Obama race if not for some odd media slant against his campaign (like asking him during the Super Tuesday coverage why he still was running, when it was clear that he had a much better shot at challenging McCain for delegates than Mitt ever did).

It is interesting to see how Clinton and Obama are campaigning now as a foreshadowing of how they will campaign in a general election. Obama seems to make visits to all of the states, even if they are solid "Red" states. Clinton essentially has ceded all of these states to him by sending Bill or some lackey to represent her. (The importance of your state is shown by who she sends. Today, Obama is speaing at a rally at Omaha's City Auditorium. Meanwhile, Chelsea Clinton is talking to college students in Lincoln. Clearly, this is another Clinton "F U" to Nebraska.)
Felix Unger?

Ritterskoop

#10 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Maybe I am not understanding something. Tell me which of these premises is wrong.

Nebraska votes Republican in general elections.

Clinton can be in one place at a time.

It is more effective for her to talk with people who might vote for her in November, than people who won't.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

ne1410s

#11 Post by ne1410s » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Romney:
And because I love America, in this time of war, I feel I have to now stand aside, for our party and for our country."
...in this time of war...???

What war? Where are the tax increases to pay for this "war"? Where is the draft? (When would this fiasco have been over if there HAD been a draft and we could not have outsourced this insanity to the,for the most part, lower income groups?)

Oh, I almost forgot: "Mission Accomplished"
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

Appa23

#12 Post by Appa23 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:49 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
Maybe I am not understanding something. Tell me which of these premises is wrong.

Nebraska votes Republican in general elections.

Clinton can be in one place at a time.

It is more effective for her to talk with people who might vote for her in November, than people who won't.
Well, Clinton can be in more than one place for the next three days, when the Nebraska Democratic Party caucus is. However, I can understand that Clinton is strapped for cash, and flying out to the Midwest might take some money away from her quixotic strategy of giving up all of the contests until Ohio and Texas, and then Pennsylvania, hoping that she somehow can win the nomination off of what she hopes will be victories for her. (Not that a solid month of Obama momentum will play a role in those states.)

Also, Nebraska does not always vote Republican. A democratic candidate has won the state, and we allocate electoral votes via congressional districts. Only the third district is solidly Republican. The 1st (Lincoln) and 2nd (Omaha) are closer and can tilt depending on the candidate.

It also might be viewed as a strange strategy considering that one of Clintons' biggest donors, Vinod Gupta, lives in Omaha, as does the world's third richest man (who also has given money to your campaign). Maybe coming to the state to get your money might be the polite thing to do.

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:56 pm

Appa23 wrote: (The importance of your state is shown by who she sends. Today, Obama is speaing at a rally at Omaha's City Auditorium. Meanwhile, Chelsea Clinton is talking to college students in Lincoln. Clearly, this is another Clinton "F U" to Nebraska.)
1. Are you having a little Iowa Envy, Appa? We're past the stage of the campaign where the candidates are apparently on every doorstep, ready to shovel your snow and walk your dog.

2. Would you be more or less insulted if she sent Bill instead of Chelsea? :P

Sir_Galahad

#14 Post by Sir_Galahad » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:13 pm

That is all.
It's not only that my candidate quit, it's that I have no one right now that I feel I can support. And I cannot rally behind McClain just to show solidarity. You either stand by your beliefs and principles or you don't.

I can only hope that some independent rises from the ashes whom I can support.

[ sigh ]
Last edited by Sir_Galahad on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

mellytu74

A question for conservatives

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:13 pm

I have been wondering about something for weeks now and Sir G's list the other day reminded me about my questions.

Several weeks ago, McCain said -- and the clip was run several times on both Fox and MSNBC -- that the economy wasn't his strongest point.

So, why didn't Romney, the proven businessman, do better, given these economic times?

Was it Huckabee's early comment that he (Huckabee) looks like the guy you work with but Romney looks like the guy who lays you off?

I suspect the folks who were leaning toward Romney ARE the guys who lay you off but still....

Did it boil down to Romney's inability to come across as anything but a CEO?

For example, I've seen Warren Buffet speak on TV. I think he comes across as an extremely successful businessman (surprise!) but one who can relate to everyday folk. I'm sure we've all seen or know highly successful executives who seem like everyday folk.

I'm not sure Romney could do that.

Or is this really the place where the religious conservatives and economic conservatives (and I'm not saying that they are mutally exclusive) finally part company?

I mean, I wouldn't have voted for the guy but still, I am curious.

Appa23

#16 Post by Appa23 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:23 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Appa23 wrote: (The importance of your state is shown by who she sends. Today, Obama is speaing at a rally at Omaha's City Auditorium. Meanwhile, Chelsea Clinton is talking to college students in Lincoln. Clearly, this is another Clinton "F U" to Nebraska.)
1. Are you having a little Iowa Envy, Appa? We're past the stage of the campaign where the candidates are apparently on every doorstep, ready to shovel your snow and walk your dog.

2. Would you be more or less insulted if she sent Bill instead of Chelsea? :P
Answering the second part, first -- Yes, Bill would be less insulting than sending a daughter to glad-hand (and maybe exchange beauty tips with sorority girls, plus get their numbers for Dad).

As to the first, in what might have considered to be an answer to a question posed yesterday by someone, about why Obama did so well in states like North Dakota, I merely was noting that Obama actually seems to be campaigning in every state, while Clinton is not.

Plus, there is some holdover from the fact that President Clinton did not step foot in "the greatest of the 50 states" until one month before he left office. "Saving the best for last", my foot! I mean, when you visit even North Dakota before you visit Nebraska, come on! :lol:
Last edited by Appa23 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir_Galahad

Re: A question for conservatives

#17 Post by Sir_Galahad » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:26 pm

mellytu74 wrote:I have been wondering about something for weeks now and Sir G's list the other day reminded me about my questions.

Several weeks ago, McCain said -- and the clip was run several times on both Fox and MSNBC -- that the economy wasn't his strongest point.

So, why didn't Romney, the proven businessman, do better, given these economic times?
In light of all the things that have been said and published about McClain, I cannot understand why Romney did not blow him away. I really wonder if it is his Mormonism that scared folks. I know that's what killed him in the south but I absolutely don't understand why he did not sweep NY and California. This will remain a mystery to me.

mellytu74

#18 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:27 pm

appa --

I was the person who mentioned it in my Super Tuesday observations.

And, as I said yesterday, What? They just found out who she was this week?

As far as Chelsea "picking up some beauty tips...." As far as looks go, HD, are you really that much of a gift-wrapped box of chocolates yourself?

Editing here....OK, admittedly I was cracking wise but still, as someone who had thick coke-bottle-bottomed glasses and really thick unruly curly hair as a kid, I really try not to knock someone's looks.
Last edited by mellytu74 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:27 pm

mellytu74 wrote:Was it Huckabee's early comment that he (Huckabee) looks like the guy you work with but Romney looks like the guy who lays you off?

I suspect the folks who were leaning toward Romney ARE the guys who lay you off but still....

Did it boil down to Romney's inability to come across as anything but a CEO?
I don't know the details about what companies Romney was involved in during his days as a venture capitalist, but there may be some validity to that observation, Melly.

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:In light of all the things that have been said and published about McClain, I cannot understand why Romney did not blow him away. I really wonder if it is his Mormonism that scared folks.
Hey, all those terrorists couldn't touch John McClain at the Nakatomi Plaza. and they had automatic weapons and rocket launchers and everything! :P

Appa23

#21 Post by Appa23 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:38 pm

mellytu74 wrote:For example, I've seen Warren Buffet speak on TV. I think he comes across as an extremely successful businessman (surprise!) but one who can relate to everyday folk. I'm sure we've all seen or know highly successful executives who seem like everyday folk.
You should see the parties that he throws. He puts out quite the spread. Of course, it is serve yourself. :wink:

mellytu74

#22 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:42 pm

Appa23 wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:For example, I've seen Warren Buffet speak on TV. I think he comes across as an extremely successful businessman (surprise!) but one who can relate to everyday folk. I'm sure we've all seen or know highly successful executives who seem like everyday folk.
You should see the parties that he throws. He puts out quite the spread. Of course, it is serve yourself. :wink:
ROTFLMAO!

Sir_Galahad

#23 Post by Sir_Galahad » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:09 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Sir_Galahad wrote:In light of all the things that have been said and published about McClain, I cannot understand why Romney did not blow him away. I really wonder if it is his Mormonism that scared folks.
Hey, all those terrorists couldn't touch John McClain at the Nakatomi Plaza. and they had automatic weapons and rocket launchers and everything! :P
I'm glad someone finally discovered my inference. ;)

TheCalvinator24

#24 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:56 pm

earendel wrote:

That is all.
As long as he and Huckabee were in the race, the conservative vote was going to be split. IMO it should have been Huckabee who quit because his support is a mile wide and an inch deep. But BTST it may be the case that economic and religious conservatives couldn't unite behind either one.
I doubt I agree with the point you were making, but you might have meant a mile deep and only an inch wide. Huckabee supporters are VERY loyal.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#25 Post by Rexer25 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:13 pm

here, I think, is the main reason Romney did not appeal to more voters.

From the NYTimes political blog:

..."Mr. Romney’s change over such key issues as abortion rights, stem cell research and gay rights was jarring to people who had watched him as governor in Massachusetts, and even more to Republican voters who began to see clips that illustrated his differing views, thanks to YouTube and Mr. Romney’s opponents."

His shifts in position seemed to be more opportunistic than gut-check reality. I think that if he had won the nomination, he would have drifted more toward the center in order to win the election, and that would have been too many policy changes for moderates to believe in him.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.