time to shift tactics

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

time to shift tactics

#1 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:41 am

After five times successfully passing the J! test but not getting the call and after last week's interrupted test, I've decided to shift tactics. I've decided to take the first step in getting on "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?" by filling out the application and sending it in. I figure I have nothing to lose by doing so. I don't think they will be any more eager to call me than J! has been over the years, but, hey, you never know.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: time to shift tactics

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:11 am

earendel wrote:I've decided to take the first step in getting on "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?" by filling out the application and sending it in.
Good luck with that.

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:49 am

Godd for you! Nothing ventured...

I am going to:

a. get a camcorder that works

b. make a video

c. and send it to DoND.

I think I want my 'group of helpers' to be some of my 'BAM friends, so ya'll be ready to travel, okay?

BTW - I heard some odd/interesting DoND info recently involving a certain extremely high profile young female entertainer and a similarly monikered young woman from my home state... You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it, I think..

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jsuchard

#4 Post by jsuchard » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:25 am

Well... Good luck, Earendel.

But from my experience, you probably still have a better chance at J!, since they have no specific anti-MAWG policies. As random as the J! tryouts have become, it is still more of a merit-rewarding proposition than other shows that are simply looking for contestants with personality. I tried out for "5th Grader" and got the distinct impression that they would never pick me.

...but you certainly can't get picked unless you try. So, again, good luck!
* Either Arglebargle IV or someone else.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:05 pm

jsuchard wrote:Well... Good luck, Earendel.

But from my experience, you probably still have a better chance at J!, since they have no specific anti-MAWG policies. As random as the J! tryouts have become, it is still more of a merit-rewarding proposition than other shows that are simply looking for contestants with personality. I tried out for "5th Grader" and got the distinct impression that they would never pick me.

I'll try again for J! when the opportunity presents itself - next year when the test comes around or if the Brain Bus comes close - but to fill the time I might as well try for another unobtainable goal.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:10 pm

earendel wrote:
jsuchard wrote:Well... Good luck, Earendel.

I'll try again for J! when the opportunity presents itself - next year when the test comes around or if the Brain Bus comes close - but to fill the time I might as well try for another unobtainable goal.
Good plan.

The minute you walk in the door for 5th Grader, they will know that you are too smart to be on their show.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:14 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: The minute you walk in the door for 5th Grader, they will know that you are too smart to be on their show.
So he should start by walking into the door? :P

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#8 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:18 pm

ear,

If "5th grader" doesn't work out, there always "Moment of Truth"

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#9 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:20 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: The minute you walk in the door for 5th Grader, they will know that you are too smart to be on their show.
So he should start by walking into the door? :P
Yes.

The key to getting on the show is having a brain that doesn't function. :)

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:30 pm

Rexer25 wrote:If "5th grader" doesn't work out, there always "Moment of Truth"
Has anybody watched that program?

I've stayed far, far away!

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#11 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:33 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:

I haven't, but my wife DVRs it. I tried to tell her it's evil, but she says she wants to see it once and judge the program on its merits.

Which is a sensible, mature judgment, but I like being able to make a hasty decision based on advanced publicity without any reasoned analysis. After all, it is an election year.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Peter5858

#12 Post by Peter5858 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:35 pm

earendel wrote:After five times successfully passing the J! test but not getting the call and after last week's interrupted test, I've decided to shift tactics. I've decided to take the first step in getting on "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?" by filling out the application and sending it in. I figure I have nothing to lose by doing so. I don't think they will be any more eager to call me than J! has been over the years, but, hey, you never know.
Dude, where's your pride?
But if that makes you happy, good luck.

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Peter5858 wrote:
earendel wrote:After five times successfully passing the J! test but not getting the call and after last week's interrupted test, I've decided to shift tactics. I've decided to take the first step in getting on "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?" by filling out the application and sending it in. I figure I have nothing to lose by doing so. I don't think they will be any more eager to call me than J! has been over the years, but, hey, you never know.
I'm not giving up on J!, but the schedule is such that it'll probably be another year before I can try again, so I might as well do something in the interim to fill the time.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:53 pm

Peter5858 wrote: Dude, where's your pride?
Hey, I'd be happy to go on 5th Grader, trade barbs with Foxworthy, trade high fives with the class (Nathan is a true BB, at heart) and collect an easy $500K.

But getting past those APs would make my quixotic WWTBAM quest look like a walk in the park. :roll:

Appa23

#15 Post by Appa23 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:01 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:

Is it the lie detector show? If so, then I watched the first episode.

I actually enjoyed it.

There were moments of "this is what is wrong with our society."

Ex-football player admitted that he is putting off having kids with his wife (who appeared to be a blonde Russian mail-order bride) because he is not sure if the marriage will last.

Wife had opportunity to block the question and not hear the answer, and she didn't.

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:10 pm

Appa23 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

I actually enjoyed it.

Ex-football player admitted that he is putting off having kids with his wife (who appeared to be a blonde Russian mail-order bride) because he is not sure if the marriage will last.

Wife had opportunity to block the question and not hear the answer, and she didn't.
That's the show. So what would happen to his winnings if she had blocked the answer? (Seems like not having kids in an unstable marriage is the wise decision to make.)

mellytu74

#17 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:13 pm

Oooh! Oooh!

Ear's going to be on TV!!

Because I KNOW you are going to make it!

:D

Appa23

#18 Post by Appa23 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:15 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Has anybody watched that program?

I actually enjoyed it.

That's the show. So what would happen to his winnings if she had blocked the answer? (Seems like not having kids in an unstable marriage is the wise decision to make.)
As I understood the rules, your companion has this big button in from of him/her. They can push it after a question of they do not want the person to answer. They can do it maybe two times. No penalty. They just ask another question.

Better decision for the couple would be not to get married until they were sure that this is the person whom you wanted to spend the rest of your life. (Call me old-fashioned, . . . but still married.)

Tocqueville3

#19 Post by Tocqueville3 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:16 pm

This is a brilliant idea, ear! Except for the fact that you are waaaaaaaaay smarter than a fifth grader.

I think I might try out for the show too. The Bell's Palsy is making me sound like a loon so I am a shoe in.

And the patch over my eye is making me look like a loon. I am so there.

Appa23

#20 Post by Appa23 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:31 pm

Tocqueville3 wrote:This is a brilliant idea, ear! Except for the fact that you are waaaaaaaaay smarter than a fifth grader.

I think I might try out for the show too. The Bell's Palsy is making me sound like a loon so I am a shoe in.

Way off the subject -- Toque, how old is Olivia(?) now? She looks so tiny in that car seat photo.

Tocqueville3

#21 Post by Tocqueville3 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:38 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Tocqueville3 wrote:This is a brilliant idea, ear! Except for the fact that you are waaaaaaaaay smarter than a fifth grader.

Way off the subject -- Toque, how old is Olivia(?) now? She looks so tiny in that car seat photo.
Olivia will be eight months old tomorrow. That pic was taken when she was six months old.

She's napping right now and Samantha is watching Between the Lions.

Ahhhhhhh....sweet bliss!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#22 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:44 pm

Hmmmm, sounds like you should be on a Canadian game show......or Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grade Pirate?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ladysoleil

#23 Post by ladysoleil » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:56 pm

Peter5858 wrote:
Pride is awesome, but most merchants don't accept pride as legal tender. ;)

Appa23

#24 Post by Appa23 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:25 pm

Tocqueville3 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:

Olivia will be eight months old tomorrow. That pic was taken when she was six months old.

She's napping right now and Samantha is watching Between the Lions.

Ahhhhhhh....sweet bliss!
Our baby turned 11 months on Sunday. :) (Almost time to let her face forwards)

Plans already made for an Elmo blow-out with the family in a few weeks. BW found 5-6 Elmo's on EBay for a couple bucks each, plus shipping.

Thankfully, at this point in time, Princess Peanut does not have any issue with celebrating her birthday with her sister's birthday (at least having a shared family celebration).

Kazoo65

re: time to shift tactics

#25 Post by Kazoo65 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:49 pm

After my dismal performance on last week's J test (I think I got 33 right-even though after I took the test, I got the "due to the many people taking the test, we have only a limited amount of audition slots to fill" message)-I'm really not too optimistic that I'll get a spot. I signed up for Chicago and Cleveland. I think Chicago may be more competitive (it's a bigger city) than Cleveland would be. We'll see.

In the meantime, I'm gonna bug my TV station and send them the annual "when are you having a J! audition again?" e-mail.

As for trying to get on 5th Grader, even though I'd do well on that show, I don't think they'd pick me. Being a 5 time J! reject probably wouldn't impress them.
I'm just a game show nerd.