Computer Strangeness

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
littlebeast13
Dumbass

Computer Strangeness

#1 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:37 am

When I log on and open up IE, it takes about 2-3 minutes for it to load... and it's not that it loads slowly... it just sits for all that time with a white screen and then finally my home page comes up. The same thing happens anytime I try to open a new window, or click on a link that opens up a new window....

Once the page finally loads, it works perfectly fine. No lag, no slowness, no nothing. The delay only happens when the window is first opened.

Any computer gurus know what might be going on?

lb13

mrkelley23

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:45 am

My usual approach in these cases is to loudly curse Bill Gates, then begin trying all the generic fixes I know.

See if there's a Windoze update you might be missing.

Dump cache.

Reboot.

Delete Unnecessary Temp files.

Reboot again.

Run Spyware Checker and virus scan.

Reboot again.

There are people here who will be more helpful, I"m sure.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:49 am

Get a black computer. When I changed from black to white, all of my problems went away.

Bob Juch

Re: Computer Strangeness

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:05 am

littlebeast13 wrote:When I log on and open up IE, it takes about 2-3 minutes for it to load... and it's not that it loads slowly... it just sits for all that time with a white screen and then finally my home page comes up. The same thing happens anytime I try to open a new window, or click on a link that opens up a new window....

Once the page finally loads, it works perfectly fine. No lag, no slowness, no nothing. The delay only happens when the window is first opened.

lb13
I suspect it might be your virus/spyware protection software. What do you use?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:11 am

Bob Juch wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:When I log on and open up IE, it takes about 2-3 minutes for it to load... and it's not that it loads slowly... it just sits for all that time with a white screen and then finally my home page comes up. The same thing happens anytime I try to open a new window, or click on a link that opens up a new window....

lb13
Norton, but I've had some version of that for several years without any problems like this....

lb13

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:13 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

lb13
Norton, but I've had some version of that for several years without any problems like this....

lb13
How about any IE toolbars?

Have you run a non-Norton spyware scanner?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Sir_Galahad

#7 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:14 am

peacock2121 wrote:Get a black computer. When I changed from black to white, all of my problems went away.
LOL. That's great, Pea! Although, did you mean change from white to black perhaps?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 am

Bob Juch wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: I suspect it might be your virus/spyware protection software. What do you use?

lb13
How about any IE toolbars?

Have you run a non-Norton spyware scanner?

Nope. And I haven't added a thing lately...

Since it started the evening before last, I thought it might be storm related since my service is through my cable company (and the cable was off part of that night), but I think it's a computer issue....

lb13

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:36 am

I'd have to run a process monitor to be able to tell you more.

Sir_Galahad

#10 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:41 am

Are you using IE6 or IE7? Which version of Windows?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#11 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:48 am

When my computer becomes slow, I do two things --

1. Empty the internet cache through "control panel", and

2. Run AdAware to get rid of sneaky tracking cookies.

This helps more often than it doesn't. I always try the easy fixes first.

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 am

silvercamaro wrote:When my computer becomes slow, I do two things --

Neither of those would make your computer run faster and actually would make things slow down as more data would have to be transferred from the Net!

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#13 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:55 am

Bob Juch wrote:

Neither of those would make your computer run faster and actually would make things slow down as more data would have to be transferred from the Net!
I don't doubt your expertise. It still helps more often than it doesn't.

fantine33

#14 Post by fantine33 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:56 am

IE has taken a long time to load ever since I caved to the increasing demands and upgraded to IE 7. I only use it if I can't do something in Opera, though.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#15 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:02 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:Are you using IE6 or IE7? Which version of Windows?
7, and I think Windows XP (I had to look up the former too, so that shows you how much I know about computer stuff....)

lb13

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#16 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:05 am

If it were just a problem of slowness, I'd assume something was clogging the works. But after the long delay in a window loading for the first time, it works just as fast as it usually does (I have been off & on 2 different windows all morning that I first opened about 4 hours ago, and have not had a single slowness issue since I opened them for the first time). I don't know why just the initial loading of a new window would take so long without the normal performance being affected....

lb13

fantine33

#17 Post by fantine33 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:11 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

If it were just a problem of slowness, I'd assume something was clogging the works. But after the long delay in a window loading for the first time, it works just as fast as it usually does (I have been off & on 2 different windows all morning that I first opened about 4 hours ago, and have not had a single slowness issue since I opened them for the first time). I don't know why just the initial loading of a new window would take so long without the normal performance being affected....

lb13
You know, it might have something to do with 7 and XP. I have the same thing, initial loading takes several minutes, after that it's okay. That's on my laptop with XP, but it doesn't take nearly as long on my new one with Vista, although I just assumed that was because it had more oomph (which probably plays a role in it as well).

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#18 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:17 am

fantine33 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
You know, it might have something to do with 7 and XP. I have the same thing, initial loading takes several minutes, after that it's okay. That's on my laptop with XP, but it doesn't take nearly as long on my new one with Vista, although I just assumed that was because it had more oomph (which probably plays a role in it as well).

The only problem is I've been using IE7 for about a year now (maybe longer... can't remember when it came out, but I was about 2 or 3 months behind in letting Microcrap install it).

My mom has a laptop with IE7 and XP, and it's slow as all getout.... though it was pretty much just as slow when it had 6....

lb13

gsabc

#19 Post by gsabc » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:19 am

Has your home page changed its graphics recently? That includes any funky animated ads and banners. It sounds like your computer is having trouble processing the initial download. Once everything is in the IE cache, it would be faster.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

mrkelley23

#20 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:23 am

If you have "automatic updates" turned on, you may have just recently upgraded to IE7 without even knowing it. Your saying you had to check which version it was makes me a little suspicious of that, although IE7 looks enough different from 6 that it probably would have bothered you.

The initial loading slowdown is what makes me think it is a cache issue. Have you checked your "Virtual memory" status through the control panel? If Windoze is running low on VM, it might cause limited arts of the cache to be available for loading web pages the first time.

The reason it appears to function normally after the first load is that the first time, the image of the page is loaded into the cache. After that, the computer takes a shortcut by refreshing the "snapshot" it took earlier from its cache, then just adds whatever changes have taken place since the last load. Much quicker that way.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#21 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 am

I bet he still hasn't cursed Bill Gates yet.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

ne1410s

#22 Post by ne1410s » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:32 am

bet he still hasn't cursed Bill Gates yet.
Sheesh! Don't get the cult riled up. :lol:
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

Bob Juch

#23 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:35 am

gsabc wrote:Has your home page changed its graphics recently? That includes any funky animated ads and banners. It sounds like your computer is having trouble processing the initial download. Once everything is in the IE cache, it would be faster.
Set your home page to blank and see if that's still a problem.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#24 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:39 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:If you have "automatic updates" turned on, you may have just recently upgraded to IE7 without even knowing it. Your saying you had to check which version it was makes me a little suspicious of that, although IE7 looks enough different from 6 that it probably would have bothered you.
Nope, I've had the very different looking IE7 now for about a year.

mrkelley23 wrote:The initial loading slowdown is what makes me think it is a cache issue. Have you checked your "Virtual memory" status through the control panel? If Windoze is running low on VM, it might cause limited arts of the cache to be available for loading web pages the first time.

The reason it appears to function normally after the first load is that the first time, the image of the page is loaded into the cache. After that, the computer takes a shortcut by refreshing the "snapshot" it took earlier from its cache, then just adds whatever changes have taken place since the last load. Much quicker that way.
But it has nothing to do with visiting a page for the first time.... it only happens when a window opens for the first time. Once the window loads, it operates normally and at normal speed no matter where I go on the internet....

This only sucks when I first log on, and when click a link that opens up a new window (Or I want to do something else without leaving where I am and want to open a new window to do it, which I do a lot)....

lb13

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#25 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:42 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
gsabc wrote:Has your home page changed its graphics recently? That includes any funky animated ads and banners. It sounds like your computer is having trouble processing the initial download. Once everything is in the IE cache, it would be faster.
Set your home page to blank and see if that's still a problem.

I don't think it has anything to do with the home page because anything that first pops up in a new window will cause the same delay.

lb13