An Epitaph for Global Warming Hysteria

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: An Epitaph for Global Warming Hysteria

#276 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:58 pm

Before there were SUVs there was beer
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

#277 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:52 am

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07 ... n-vampire/

Britain’s New Prime Minister Drives A Stake Through The Heart Of The Green Vampire
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

#278 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:58 am

Suitguy is not bitter.

Spock

#279 Post by Spock » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:36 am

The book I chose for the California trip was Wallace Stegner's "Beyond the 100th Meridian." This is a biography of John Wesley Powell, and includes, not only a good description of the voyage down the Colorado, but his later years in Washington bureacracy when he argued that eastern US patterns of settlement would not work in the west because of the lack of moisture that defines the land west of the 100th meridian.

He tried to change settlement patterns to better fit watershed boundaries.

Good book and it highlights what was probably the main theme in Stegner's writing which is the cycles of drought that plague the west. Stegner was in his core writing years, maybe 60 years ago.

I also just read "All the Wild that Remains"-which was a dual biography of Stegner and Edward Abbey. As with many of the left-leaning environmental authors that I read, I make it a principle to check the book out of the library because I would not want to contribute to the capitalist system on their behalf-LOL.

A major theme of that book was Stegner's (I am less familiar with Abbey) view of the dryness that defines the west throughout history.

The author traveled through the west in 2012, which was a drought year, and I had to laugh at him because he kept blaming the 2012 drought on global warming. Keep in mind a major theme of his book (and Stegner, in general) is the persistent dryness of the west, but for some reason the 2012 drought was global warming related.

Jeemie

#280 Post by Jeemie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:23 pm

Spock wrote:The book I chose for the California trip was Wallace Stegner's "Beyond the 100th Meridian." This is a biography of John Wesley Powell, and includes, not only a good description of the voyage down the Colorado, but his later years in Washington bureacracy when he argued that eastern US patterns of settlement would not work in the west because of the lack of moisture that defines the land west of the 100th meridian.

Good book and it highlights what was probably the main theme in Stegner's writing which is the cycles of drought that plague the west. Stegner was in his core writing years, maybe 60 years ago.

I also just read "All the Wild that Remains"-which was a dual biography of Stegner and Edward Abbey. As with many of the left-leaning environmental authors that I read, I make it a principle to check the book out of the library because I would not want to contribute to the capitalist system on their behalf-LOL.

A major theme of that book was Stegner's (I am less familiar with Abbey) view of the dryness that defines the west throughout history.

The author traveled through the west in 2012, which was a drought year, and I had to laugh at him because he kept blaming the 2012 drought on global warming. Keep in mind a major theme of his book (and Stegner, in general) is the persistent dryness of the west, but for some reason the 2012 drought was global warming related.
This logic is of course the same logic Young Earth Creationists use.

"Some canyons can form really fast (relatively speaking). Therefore, all canyons formed really fast, and the earth is only thousands, not billions, of years old".

Just because things happened in the past doesn't mean they happened for the same reasons.

Just because weather and climate have shown cycles before that weren't human-influenced doesn't mean the climate cycle now isn't human-influenced.

Not all similar effects have similar causes.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob Juch

#281 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:00 pm

NASA: Melting Ice Sheets Is Changing How the Earth Rotates

http://www.ecowatch.com/nasa-melting-ic ... 80793.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#282 Post by Spock » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:34 pm

>>>Just because weather and climate have shown cycles before that weren't human-influenced doesn't mean the climate cycle now isn't human-influenced.

Not all similar effects have similar causes.<<<<

When THE major characteristic of the west over time is persistent lack of moisture/prolonged drought cycles etc etc, to state that the moisture cycle of the past decade is due to a new cause should require special evidence other than simply saying so and making statements like-"With global warming, we Might be facing droughts like there were in the mid-1200's (or whatever date he stated-I don't remember exactly.

#283 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:05 am

Yes the usual suspects were outraged
Suitguy is not bitter.

#284 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:53 am

http://bit.ly/2b8xF9o

Malia's asthma made climate change personal says President. I'm glad to know she is over it.
Suitguy is not bitter.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#285 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Spock wrote:The book I chose for the California trip was Wallace Stegner's "Beyond the 100th Meridian." This is a biography of John Wesley Powell, and includes, not only a good description of the voyage down the Colorado, but his later years in Washington bureacracy when he argued that eastern US patterns of settlement would not work in the west because of the lack of moisture that defines the land west of the 100th meridian.

I think you would like Apocalyptic Planet by Craig Childs.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

#286 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:49 am

Suitguy is not bitter.

#287 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:26 am

Suitguy is not bitter.

#288 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:00 am

Suitguy is not bitter.

BackInTex

#289 Post by BackInTex » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:42 pm

Antarctic Sea Ice Has Not Shrunk In 100 Years
Antarctic sea ice had barely changed from where it was 100 years ago, scientists have discovered, after pouring over the logbooks of great polar explorers such as Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton. Experts were concerned that ice at the South Pole had declined significantly since the 1950s, which they feared was driven by man-made climate change. But new analysis suggests that conditions are now virtually identical to when the Terra Nova and Endurance sailed to the continent in the early 1900s, indicating that declines are part of a natural cycle and not the result of global warming.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#290 Post by Estonut » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:51 am

BackInTex wrote:Antarctic Sea Ice Has Not Shrunk In 100 Years
Antarctic sea ice had barely changed from where it was 100 years ago, scientists have discovered, after pouring over the logbooks of great polar explorers such as Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton. Experts were concerned that ice at the South Pole had declined significantly since the 1950s, which they feared was driven by man-made climate change. But new analysis suggests that conditions are now virtually identical to when the Terra Nova and Endurance sailed to the continent in the early 1900s, indicating that declines are part of a natural cycle and not the result of global warming.
I wonder what they were pouring over the logbooks...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

#291 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Suitguy is not bitter.

Bob Juch

#292 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:02 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Image
Wow, it's so warm that penguins are vacationing there!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

#293 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:43 pm

Suitguy is not bitter.

mrkelley23

#294 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:28 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Scott Adams weighs in
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1540824160 ... ge-science

Stephen McIntyre comments
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1540824160 ... 3038731603
I"m glad that Adams admits he's not an expert, because he says so many factually wrong things that I couldn't even finish the article. Disinformation doesn't help, and often hurts. I think I understand what he's trying to say, but then he runs scientific consensus and appeals to authority together, and treats them as if they are identical. Kind of like the people who say evolution is "just a theory."
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#295 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:40 am

Note to Breitbart: Earth Is Not Cooling, Climate Change Is Real and Please Stop Using Our Video to Mislead Americans

https://weather.com/news/news/breitbart ... ate-change

#296 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:39 am

Bob Juch wrote:Note to Breitbart: Earth Is Not Cooling, Climate Change Is Real and Please Stop Using Our Video to Mislead Americans

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... te-change/
Suitguy is not bitter.

Bob Juch

#297 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:47 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Note to Breitbart: Earth Is Not Cooling, Climate Change Is Real and Please Stop Using Our Video to Mislead Americans

:lol:

elwoodblues

#298 Post by elwoodblues » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:47 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:

Breitbart? Seriously?

#299 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:50 am

elwoodblues wrote:[
Breitbart? Seriously?
YES! Breibart London and James Delingpole specifically and you expect me to take The Weather Channel seriously
Suitguy is not bitter.

#300 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:23 am

Suitguy is not bitter.