Wedding Blog - Big Day minus 189

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Wedding Blog - Big Day minus 189

#1 Post by gsabc » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:05 pm

Quickie before The Game. Just got back from seeing the, or rather a, DJ. My head hurts. Husband/SO team that you can hire as a team, or one of their affiliated DJ's as a single. She taking notes, very perceptive on whether their suggestions are working or not. He is Robin Williams, off doing his thing regardless of reaction.

Some good suggestions on songs to play at certain times. We got a copy of the notes so if we do the single DJ or go with someone else entirely, we'll have some idea of where to go with the music.

Off to listen to the radio pre-game and play-by-play. One good thing about having the Patriots in the game is that I won't have to listen to the Fox announcers.

GO PATS!!!
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:24 am

Ditch this pair, now!

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:27 am

peacock2121 wrote:Ditch this pair, now!
Why, if I may ask? My minimal description doesn't seem to warrant the reaction.

The hurting head was as much from lack of lunch, a longer than expected discussion, and some breathing problems that probably stemmed from cleaning under the bed on Saturday. Dust bunnies? Heck, we had dust grizzlies.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:48 am

gsabc wrote:
The way he was in the interview will be the way he is as a DJ and more than likely the way any of his littleDJs would be. He won't give you the kind of music you want at your party. He will give you the type of music and the 'show' he thinks you should want.

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:50 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
gsabc wrote:
The way he was in the interview will be the way he is as a DJ and more than likely the way any of his littleDJs would be. He won't give you the kind of music you want at your party. He will give you the type of music and the 'show' he thinks you should want.
I've given the wrong impression, then. What he was doing was giving his sales pitch, and basically showing us what he could do, not what he would do. While the SO took the notes and asked most of the questions, he was looking up examples of music for the various sections of the wedding and reception, playing them, giving us his "patter", and so on. It wasn't so much doing his own thing and ignoring our wishes. More like auditioning for us, letting us know what his gigs are like so we could choose what parts we want.

He and his company have been around for over 20 years, so they must be doing something right. We do want to check out one of his solo DJ's, though, and maybe someone else entirely. We don't even know if his rates are reasonable. Nothing to compare it to, so far.

Appa23

#6 Post by Appa23 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:10 pm

gsabc wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
gsabc wrote: Why, if I may ask? My minimal description doesn't seem to warrant the reaction.
I've given the wrong impression, then. What he was doing was giving his sales pitch, and basically showing us what he could do, not what he would do. While the SO took the notes and asked most of the questions, he was looking up examples of music for the various sections of the wedding and reception, playing them, giving us his "patter", and so on. It wasn't so much doing his own thing and ignoring our wishes. More like auditioning for us, letting us know what his gigs are like so we could choose what parts we want.

He and his company have been around for over 20 years, so they must be doing something right. We do want to check out one of his solo DJ's, though, and maybe someone else entirely. We don't even know if his rates are reasonable. Nothing to compare it to, so far.
Was BD also there? Since it is her wedding, she (and FSIL) will be the ones deciding what the DJ should and should not do.

With weddings of people right out of college, there often are songs that are important for the group dynamic. (My wife and her sorority sisters had theme songs to which they had choreographed dances. My frat included "Rock Lobster" and "End of the World" at every event.)

Of course, our DJ completely forgot to have the Best Man & Maid of Honor toasts.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#7 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:17 pm

My impression of dj's is that they are usually given a list of requested songs and types of songs the bride and groom would like to hear. They should also tell the dj what they don't want to have played i.e. the macarena, chicken dance etc.
Generally someone from the wedding party, either the best man or maid/matron of honor has the task of making sure that the photographer/dj etc adhere to the wedding couple's wishes. They have copies of whatever lists the couple has given the videographer/photographer/dj etc. Of course this is not necessarily a member of the wedding party but someone responsible.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.