Joe Lieberman

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ne1410s

Joe Lieberman

#1 Post by ne1410s » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:57 pm

Was asked what he would say if John McCain asked him to be VEEP:

"I'd tell him, 'Thanks, John, I've been there. I've done that. You can find much better.'"

Shouldn't this rare example of good sense automatically disqualify Joe from public office? I'm just sayin'... :P
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

Buffacuse

#2 Post by Buffacuse » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:38 pm

His book, "In Praise of Public Life," should be mandatory reading for every high school senior in the country. When more people believe that politics is in fact public service, this will be a much better country.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:20 am

Buffacuse wrote:His book, "In Praise of Public Life," should be mandatory reading for every high school senior in the country. When more people believe that politics is in fact public service, this will be a much better country.
I'd like it if the folks on this Bored would believe it and quit making snarky and scatological assessments about us politicians.

TheCalvinator24

#4 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:15 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
Buffacuse wrote:His book, "In Praise of Public Life," should be mandatory reading for every high school senior in the country. When more people believe that politics is in fact public service, this will be a much better country.
I'd like it if the folks on this Bored would believe it and quit making snarky and scatological assessments about us politicians.
I do like it when Sprots and I agree.

:D
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:57 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
I know what you mean. I feel the same way when folks use a broad brush to paint "the media," without considering that some news organizations are trying very hard to be balanced. Kay probably feels along the same lines when any of us makes generalized mean comments about the insurance industry. Etc.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:23 am

For Joe Lieberman, politics is in fact service of Joe Lieberman. All politiicans have egos but his is approximately the size of the national debt, and keeps growing like the debt too.

Buffacuse

#7 Post by Buffacuse » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:37 am

I think SSS is still miffed over the whole primary thing...how dare Lieberman exercise his constitutional right to seek office.

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:01 am

By 'people' do you mean the people who are in politics or people who are judging and evaluating those who are in politics?

peacock2121

#9 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:03 am

SportsFan68 wrote:
One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch.

How do you make sure you are not put in that bunch?

The bad bunch, I mean.

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:04 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

LOL - me too

It has never been fun for me to watch when you two don't agree.

Made me start to wonder why.

As, I really like it when either of you disagree with others.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:28 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

I was thinking about Cal when I wrote that. As far as I know, besides the two of us there's been only one other Bored denizen who's been willing to put the time, energy, money, reputation, etc. etc. on the line and actually run for public office, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't come around anymore.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:37 am

peacock2121 wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote: I do like it when Sprots and I agree.

LOL - me too

It has never been fun for me to watch when you two don't agree.

Made me start to wonder why.

As, I really like it when either of you disagree with others.
I think it's because of Area 3. Cal and I agree/disagree in three ways.

Area 1: We agree -- mostly. For example, we agree that a school vouchering system is a bad idea. We have different reasons for thinking that.

Area 2: We disagree and have an amicable discussion about it and actually resolve something -- for example, workplace smoking.

Area 3: We disagree in unpleasant fashion. For example, I picked a fight with Cal over something Oldernow said and thought we were having a fun, enjoyable, give-and-take argument. Cal thought I was picking on him most horribly.

P.S. I'll probably vanish in an eyeblink here directly. I can access the Bored from work maybe twice a week.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#13 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:47 am

peacock2121 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch.

How do you make sure you are not put in that bunch?

The bad bunch, I mean.
I believe that the the problem is that the excesses are so horrific (Tom Delay, for example) that people feel perfectly justified in making sweeping generalizations. Somebody posted a poem, or I guess it was a song, the other day skewering all campaigners indiscriminately with the same knife. That's not the way it is, but the song is so catchy and the knife it wields is so sharp.

Cal and I aren't in that basket. I would simply like it if the Bored would recognize that and stop with the generalizations that paint all of us with the same brush.