Gotta love family

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Tocqueville3

Re: Gotta love family

#26 Post by Tocqueville3 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:40 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Tocqueville3 wrote:
fuzzywuzzy wrote:That is NOT what I meant...what I meant, was from people who preach one thing, and practice another. They are NOT slackers, however, when you burn a bridge, and you try to walk over the bridge like there is nothing wrong...ah, someone is gonna get hurt! They believe they are right! And have not made ammends. That's what I mean...

We called them Christmas Eve to wish them all a Merry Christmas, they were home, but, would NOT pick-up the phone! The whole family was there including my in-laws. They eventually took the phone off the hook! What do you call that kind of treatment?

I call that kind of treatment bad. I don't know how they justify their reasoning but they seem to have a problem.

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted what you meant but I think if the shoe were on the other foot and I was on the bored saying that part of my family were being rude to my husband and they were big old bleeding heart liberals you might get offended, too.
I think we are in between a rock and a hard place when it comes to religion and ideology. No pun intended.

Most of my family are democrats, and would not take offense. I am used to being labeled such living in a Red State. However, I am a moderate, and think a mix of the right and the left = a good mix.

I hope tocq that you know that I was not making a blanket statement about Christians. Or the Christian right. Just our family who are NOT good representatives of their beliefs.

fuzzy
Okay. I'm glad you weren't making a blanket statement. The thing is, there are rarely Christians who are good representations of what it means to be a good Christian. Back to the falling short thing.

You might teach your husband's family a thing or two about humility if you reached out to them. They may dump all over you and judging from what you said about these people they probably will but if you make a strong attempt to mend things with them they just might realize they are being horses asses.

peacock2121

#27 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:46 pm

kusch wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:Pea, you are right, some people live down to your expectations of them. Not sure what kind of point I am trying to make, but this statement by you bugged me. Not a bad bug, just a bug.

Did you not tell ear to think positive instead of negative about his conference call thingie? Same thing here, don't have a negative thought about someone ahead of time.

Some people are more and less compasionate, some are more and less generous and again some are more and less selfish than others. I don't think the more or less has anything to do with anything else other than more and less. My opinion

I am missing the connection between what I said and what bugs you about what I said and what you said.

I always value your input, I would love to understand.

Can you say what you said differently so I might understand.
I "hear" you being very "giddy" when you hear of a Christian falling short.

I am looking to see what is true for me about this. Giddy is not true - not even close. I think I am less forgiving of not Christians who fall short, but of people who make a point of preaching a certain way of living ones life and then are 'caught' doing the exact opposite of what they preach. I think I do do that.

Why do I not "hear" that same "giddiness" when a non-Christian falls short?

Doesn't have anything to do with Chistian or non-Christian to me - Has to do with preachers or non-preachers.

I have the same less forgivingness about people I work with who 'preach' integrity, work for a company who bases all of their programs on integrity and then find out they have been stealing money from the company.

I believe that you have a preconcieved idea of what a Christian and/or right-winger should be.

Not what they should be - I do think I know who they say they are, what they say they stand for and what they say they value.

Like I said, people live down to your expectation of them.

This is where you lose me. I think the people we are talking about would be living up to my expectations when they live this kind of life - so I can't get this point.

I do expect people to live the life they preach and when they don't, to acknowledge it (before being caught) and repromise to live that kind of life.

fuzzywuzzy

Re: Gotta love family

#28 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:56 pm

Tocqueville3 wrote:
Okay. I'm glad you weren't making a blanket statement. The thing is, there are rarely Christians who are good representations of what it means to be a good Christian. Back to the falling short thing.

You might teach your husband's family a thing or two about humility if you reached out to them. They may dump all over you and judging from what you said about these people they probably will but if you make a strong attempt to mend things with them they just might realize they are being horses asses.
You are right about being a light to them...However, I have tried, in the past and gotten no where real fast. I need to rethink this...

They are fwh's family, mine by marriage. I wish that I could be the moderator of the situation. Cause, I think that I have alot of insight to the aforementioned family issues. I would not take sides, and would be honest with all parties. Eureka...this could be a new reality show!

I have had more than my share of dysfunction in my own family. I have forgiven, asked to be forgiven, and have moved on. Life is too short! I am very grateful for the family that I do have in my life. Very grateful, and very blessed.

tocq... thank you for sharing your thoughts about families.

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

fuzzywuzzy

Good update

#29 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:01 pm

My sister in-law is with my MIL now in CA. So, she is taking the strain off her daughter. Yeah!

My FIL, is doing well. :)

fwh is making reservations to visit them by the end of next week. However, realizing (like we all have or will) that his Mom & Dad may need to be moved into an assisted living place in the near future. :(

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland