Crap!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Crap!

#1 Post by gsabc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:18 pm

Ain't gonna happen for me. Too many brain farts, too many current pop culture things where I had no idea (frickin' rappers! frickin' self-help authors!). Probably the same score I had last year. Rats. :cry:
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

christie1111
11:11

#2 Post by christie1111 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:20 pm

Exactly!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

goongas

#3 Post by goongas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:21 pm

The only ones I seemed to know where the pop culture ones...One of the harder Jeopardy! tests I ever took. I started off badly and never recovered.

Kazoo65

#4 Post by Kazoo65 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:33 pm

I THINK I passed it-am not sure.

Way too many current events questions. I'm glad I pay attention to the news.

You gotta be FAST to type in those answers!
I'm just a game show nerd.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: Crap!

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:53 pm

gsabc wrote:Ain't gonna happen for me. Too many brain farts, too many current pop culture things where I had no idea (frickin' rappers! frickin' self-help authors!). Probably the same score I had last year. Rats. :cry:
I'm sorry :(

VAdame

#6 Post by VAdame » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:58 pm

Leah & I decided to switch nights since she didn't have to work. So she got first crack at it!

She knows pop culture & art, but has no idea if she passed or not. I forgot how !@#$% fast that thing goes!

When it was over, I suggested she look up stuff she missed or where she wasn't sure of her answers. She told me she could barely remember the ones she missed! I know the feeling.

I guess I'll see the Central Time Zoners tomorrow :?

KillerTomato

#7 Post by KillerTomato » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:29 pm

So sorry for everyone who got no love from J! tonight. I was pulling for each and every one of you, really.

I'd LOVE to see some q's from the test, though...as someone who is ineligible, that's one thing I miss. I can never ever ever take another J! test. :(

So if you'd like to dish some out and have my email address, send 'em along. And if you don't have my email, leave me a PM with your email here, and I'll send it to you.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:30 pm

KillerTomato wrote:So sorry for everyone who got no love from J! tonight. I was pulling for each and every one of you, really.

I'd LOVE to see some q's from the test, though...as someone who is ineligible, that's one thing I miss. I can never ever ever take another J! test. :(

So if you'd like to dish some out and have my email address, send 'em along. And if you don't have my email, leave me a PM with your email here, and I'll send it to you.
I am taking the test on Thursday. I will try to have Emma take pictures while I am taking the test, since Jeff won't be home.

goongas

#9 Post by goongas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Someone on the J! board posted the test. I got 26 right...Far too few... If I had more time and not felt rushed I would have gotten 4 to 5 more right. I misread a couple of them.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#10 Post by kayrharris » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:43 pm

KillerTomato wrote:So sorry for everyone who got no love from J! tonight. I was pulling for each and every one of you, really.

Check out the J! Board, Mike. The whole test is usually over there. I haven't had time to look at it yet, but I feel sure someone has it already.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

fantine33

#11 Post by fantine33 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:11 pm

KillerTomato wrote:I'd LOVE to see some q's from the test, though...as someone who is ineligible, that's one thing I miss. I can never ever ever take another J! test. :(
Caro! Come sit next to me on the Group W bench! AKA the "Marley Hates Us" Club.

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:19 am

Here are the questions from the Tuesday test, compliments of the J! board:

Unofficial transcript"

1. This Bravo series is hosted by Heidi Klum.
Project Runway

2. North Dakota's capital was named for this man.
(Otto von) Bismarck

3. His "Nude Descending a Staircase" caused a scandal at the 1913 Armory Show.
Marcel Duchamp

4. His "Innocents Abroad" started as a series of travel letters about his trip to Europe.
Mark Twain

5. Marie-Louise, this man's second wife, married him by proxy in 1810.
Napoleon Bonaparte

6. This is the longest river in Asia, and the third-longest in the world.
Yangtze

7. Helium, argon and neon are all classified as these types of gases.
noble or inert gases

8. This former minister played bass guitar on the "Tonight Show" in January 2008.
Mike Huckabee

9. This country's traditional dishes include meekrob and nasi goreng.
Thailand or Indonesia - wikipedia ascribes one to the former and the other to the latter

10. Jhumpa Lahiri wrote this 2003 novel about a Hindu family's transition to life in Massachusetts.
The Namesake

11. This actor-turned-director directed the 2007 film "Into the Wild."
Sean Penn

12. This play begins on a ship carrying the wedding party of Alonso's daughter Claribel.
The Tempest

13. His record-setting baseball was branded with an asterisk before being sent to the hall of fame.
Barry Bonds

14. 4-letter term for a horse with a reddish coat sprinkled with white.
Roan - category was "starts with 'r'"

15. This New Zealand capital is the southernmost capital in the world.
Wellington

16. After losing the presidential race to Lincoln, he was chosen to be secretary of state.
Seward

17. His only opera was "Fidelio."
Beethoven - this was on my test in 2006 as well.

18. In 1953 the Lenin Peace Prize went to this Chilean poet and diplomat.
Pablo Neruda

19. Mangabey, Rhesus, Proboscis
monkeys - category was "common bonds"

20. Donor of a hepatic organ.
liver giver - category was "rhyme time"

21. Christine Ebersole won a 2007 Tony for playing 2 Edies in this play based on a documentary film.
Grey Gardens

22. The third of Henry VIII's wives, she died while giving birth to his son Edward.
Jane Seymour

23. This process ocurrs in the choloroplasts, the oval-shaped, green organelles in plants.
photosynthesis

24. Collective term for the "costs" involved in transferring real estate from a seller to a buyer.
closing costs

25. 19 year-old Bilawal was chosen as a successor for this leader's party.
Benazir Bhutto

26. Born in 1800, he believed God had chosen him to leave his fellow black slaves to freedom.
Nat Turner

27. Cygnets are the young of this animal.
swans

28. From the Latin angere, "to torment," it's defined as the anticipation of danger or problems.
anxiety

29. This color of the Libyan flag is also a symbol of devotion in Islam.
green

30. It's the first book in the New Testament.
Matthew

31. This rapper received 8 2008 Grammy nominations, including album of the year for "Graduation."
Kanye West

32. He was the only bachelor president for his entire term.
James Buchanan

33. This Riviera city has a museum devoted to the works of artist Henri Matisse, who spent his last years there.
Nice

34. Usually symbolized by a letter, a changing quantity in algebra is called this.
variable

35. Raila Odinga, who claims to be Barack Obama's cousin, is the opposition leader in this country.
Kenya

36. Johann Eck debated this noted Protestant in 1519 and helped get him excommunicated in 1521.
Martin Luther

37. Mary Ann Evans wrote "Silas Marner" and many other novels using this pen name.
George Eliot

38. This Atlantic "sea" is named for the seaweed that can be seen there.
Sargasso Sea

39. It's the food of the gods.
ambrosia - category was "starts with 'a'"

40. Two lines, at right angles to each other.
perpendicular - category was "per"

41. Sara Gruen's "Water for" these animals explored the circus life during the Great Depression.
Elephants

42. Famous for his chairs, in 1946 this designer had the first one-man furniture exhibit at MoMA.
Charles Eames

43. In 2002, she became the first African American to win the Oscar for Best Actress.
Halle Berry

44. This Jane Austen novel begins, "The family of Dashwood had long been settled in Sussex."
Sense & Sensibility

45. The first presidential trip out of the US was Teddy Roosevelt's 1906 inspection of this project.
Panama Canal

46. Vinson Massif is the highest point on this continent.
Antarctica

47. He's credited with writing "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey."
Homer

48. Rhonda Byrne wrote this 2007 blockbuster which had everyone helping themselves through positive thinking.
The Secret

49. In English, this verb form usually starts with "to", as in "to go" or "to be"
infinitive

50. The original author's last story about this detective was "The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place."
Sherlock Holmes

**Edited to add the answers, also from the J! board.**
Last edited by earendel on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#13 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:25 am

Holy Crap.

That is all.

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:39 am

peacock2121 wrote:Holy Crap.

That is all.
I'd say (and from what I've read elsewhere I'm not alone) that this was a much tougher question than last year's, and harder than people expected it to be.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#15 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:43 am

earendel wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:Holy Crap.

That is all.
I'd say (and from what I've read elsewhere I'm not alone) that this was a much tougher question than last year's, and harder than people expected it to be.
My hope is that the other time zone's tests are just as surprisingly difficult. Otherwise, you all will be dealing with some sort of 'this wasn't fair' conversation.

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:04 am

fantine33 wrote: Caro! Come sit next to me on the Group W bench! AKA the "Marley Hates Us" Club.
Sheesh! I make one little pro forma comment about what I "have" to do and you never let it go.

peacock2121

#17 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:06 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
fantine33 wrote: Caro! Come sit next to me on the Group W bench! AKA the "Marley Hates Us" Club.
Sheesh! I make one little pro forma comment about what I "have" to do and you never let it go.
Dang, I missed something.

VAdame

#18 Post by VAdame » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:57 am

Thanks for the transcript. Near as Leah can figure she got 36! :D

But we're wondering how much spelling counts?

See yinz in Central Time tonight.

gsabc

#19 Post by gsabc » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:09 am

Just looked at ear's post. I got a 30. Marginally better than last year, so who knows, given the overall awfulness of the test.

Of the wrong ones, I had two wrong guesses of a 50/50 choice (had the right answer but switched at the last second), one truly serious brain fart (#8 - was thinking minister to mean "prime minister" and not "preacher"), about five NAC's, and the rest were "oh yeah, right" moments when seeing the correct answer. A couple of those, I remembered the answer afterwards on my own, anyway. The access time to the memories ain't what it used to be.

Being able to buzz in with the correct answer, or at least try to, 60% of the time wouldn't be all that bad on the show. Would be nice to have the opportunity.

VAdame

#20 Post by VAdame » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:35 am

Thanks for the transcript. Near as Leah can figure she got 36!
Ehhhh....or 35.

Still :D

trevor_macfee

#21 Post by trevor_macfee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:55 am

Well, if 9 was Thailand and 28 was Anxiety, I got a 35.

But . . . in looking up answers last night I really think 9 was Indonesia (the first food listed seems to be both Thailand and Indonesia, but the second is definitely Indonesian).

And, I am hoping that 28 is not ANGST, which more directly comes from the Latin angere according to the dictionary.

There are a couple I got in about 16 seconds - I typed in "Kanye" and ran out of time, and remembered Halle Berry just after the next question appeared.

Oh well, nothing to do but wait and see if an e-mail arrives inviting me to DC or Savannah.

goongas

#22 Post by goongas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:07 am

#8 - was thinking minister to mean "prime minister" and not "preacher")
I thought the same thing, so I answered Tony Blair. Badly worded question IMO. It wasn't even reported in the media that I heard that Huckabee had played during his appearance, unlike Bill Clinton's performance on Arsenio.[/quote]

DadofTwins

#23 Post by DadofTwins » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:09 am

This test's bias toward recent events is very out-of-character for Jeopardy tests:

Usually you'll see one or at most two "current events" questions. This test had four.

Past tests have averaged 7-9 Literature questions. This test had 11, including 5 from the last 100 years and 3 from the last decade.

Only 3 questions on Movies & TV, where they usually have 5. The oldest information was 2002 (IIRC re: Halie Berry). Nothing on classic movies or TV.

Even the pop culture questions were based on events from the last 6 months.

We'll find out whether this is going to be the new norm the next two nights. Good luck to all.
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?

gsabc

#24 Post by gsabc » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:26 am

From the J! board posts, it looks like there were still quite a few who scored 35 and up. Oh well, there's always next year. And WWTBAM. I do better at multiple choice, with the "I'll know it when I see it" memory jogger.

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:35 am

earendel wrote: 20. Donor of a hepatic organ.
liver giver - category was "rhyme time"
Who had time to notice the category and factor that into their answer? I typed in "liver" and then sat there puzzling over what else they could possibly want.

Argh!