ABC News names Kusch "Person of the Week"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kusch

ABC News names Kusch "Person of the Week"

#1 Post by kusch » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:43 am

Kind of a tag to yesterday's debate, is my subject a lie or misstatement?

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4157223

Put me in the category of not getting too excited about the National Geographic article but it sure rankled some around here. You know it is a small state when I personally know two of the people interviewed and know the golfers they showed (about 2 seconds worth) playing Bully Pulpit golf course.

nitrah55

#2 Post by nitrah55 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:56 am

Maybe National Geographic should go back to running pictures of half-naked women from primitive tribes.

Or, as a PR move, run pictures of half-naked women from North Dakota.
I am about 25% sure of this.

MarleysGh0st

Re: ABC News names Kusch "Person of the Week"

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:58 am

kusch wrote:Kind of a tag to yesterday's debate, is my subject a lie or misstatement?
A misstatement. ABC selected North Dakota as Person of the Week last week! :P

I saw that National Geographic article (about abandoned small towns in the prairie) and don't understand why y'all are making such a fuss about it. As the NG said, it's not like they were saying that was the condition of the entire state!

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:25 am

Congratulations, Kusch. I don't pretend to know if North Dakota is "a great state," but I do know that every North Dakotan I've ever met is a pretty darn great person, including you and your wife.

I've been working on a theory that extreme cold strengthens human beings, the way that extreme heat tempers steel.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:06 am

I am so proud of you. :)

First Time Magazine in 2006 and now this. Congratulations.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:08 am

Well, we already have "The Fireball" as Time Magazine's 2006 "Person of the Year" and now Kusch is officially ABC's Person of the Week......wunnerful, wunnerful......crank up the bubble machine...and where's that Champagne Lady?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:12 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Image
I can't believe that I lost to Putin last month.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#8 Post by cindy.wellman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:51 pm

Kusch,

With all the coldness and snow in the state, what are the guidelines for school closures due to weather conditions?

kusch

#9 Post by kusch » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:27 pm

cindy.wellman wrote:Kusch,

With all the coldness and snow in the state, what are the guidelines for school closures due to weather conditions?
I really do not know what the guidelines are, but there are very few school closure days. There are more in the "rural" areas as opposed to the "big cities". :lol: Normally when we get snow it is 1-3 inches, sometimes more but not often. If it is more it is usually in March/April. Cold is cold, but that will not close a school. Of course my memory may be wrong but for the total of 14 years my girls attended school I believe the number of days school was closed because of weather would be single digits. Since we moved to Minot in 1983 the bank has been closed 3 days because of weather. Since I live only "blocks" away, I walked to the bank on two of those days to answer the phone to tell people we were not open. :D

ne1410s

#10 Post by ne1410s » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:34 pm

I really do not know what the guidelines are,
Cousin Kenny, who died last year at age 92, had lived in Fairbanks, AK for 50 years. He said the schools usually closed when the temp hit 40 below. Usually.

Forty below does tend to weed out the riff-raff...
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#11 Post by cindy.wellman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:20 pm

kusch wrote:
cindy.wellman wrote:Kusch,

I really do not know what the guidelines are, but there are very few school closure days. There are more in the "rural" areas as opposed to the "big cities". :lol: Normally when we get snow it is 1-3 inches, sometimes more but not often. If it is more it is usually in March/April. Cold is cold, but that will not close a school. Of course my memory may be wrong but for the total of 14 years my girls attended school I believe the number of days school was closed because of weather would be single digits. Since we moved to Minot in 1983 the bank has been closed 3 days because of weather. Since I live only "blocks" away, I walked to the bank on two of those days to answer the phone to tell people we were not open. :D

Idahoans must have thin blood, because Sam says the guidelines here are that it *only* has to be -20 for school to close. Needless to say, school was closed on Tuesday. She also added (just now) that if there is a wind chill factored in, the temperature (with adj for wind chill) has to be -30.

LOL at the riff-raff comment.