Prayers and Good Vibes Request

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Prayers and Good Vibes Request

#1 Post by BackInTex » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:14 pm

Edgar,

A friend and my daughter's volleyball coach made some trouble for himself. Seems he's been working out and went to a 'health food' store to get some supplements. He told the person there what he was doing and what he wanted and the guy sold him some hormones or something like that.

Anyway, whatever he took, for only three weeks, seems to have destroyed his liver. He is in the hospital being treated and they are hoping his liver will resume functioning, but they have put him on a transplant list.

His daughter, and only child, is 8 and good friends with my daughter. Edgar is a stay at home dad while his wife has the corporate job. He does the cleaning and cooking. He does pool work on the side while his daughter is at school. His daughter is his life and he is his daughter's life.

Please pray that his liver will respond to treatment and he will not need a transplant. Also pray that he will wise up and quit smoking to increase his energy level rather than resort to chemicals (so called 'natural' or not).

JBillyGirl

#2 Post by JBillyGirl » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:18 pm

Prayers granted. May he recover fully and quickly.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:39 pm

Good vibe going his way.

May he soon stop smoking.

May he soon own the "health food" store. :(

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:51 pm

Yikes! What on earth did they sell him? I agree with Bob....he needs to get some good legal advice from somebody for sure.

I do hope he gets better very soon. Prayers from here as well.

nitrah55

#5 Post by nitrah55 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:25 am

Prayers from here. Wow.

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:59 am

You got it.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

ladysoleil

#7 Post by ladysoleil » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 am

Oh, my. Prayers and vibes sent.

fuzzywuzzy

#8 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:25 am

Prayers and good vibes on the way...
fuzzy
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

mrkelley23

#9 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:53 am

Horrible story, BiT. I hope things work out for the best.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

ne1410s

#10 Post by ne1410s » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:09 pm

Good wishes coming from central Illinois, BiT.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

mellytu74

#11 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:18 pm

Good vibes coming from here.

gsabc

Re: Prayers and Good Vibes Request

#12 Post by gsabc » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:45 am

BackInTex wrote:Edgar,

A friend and my daughter's volleyball coach made some trouble for himself. Seems he's been working out and went to a 'health food' store to get some supplements. He told the person there what he was doing and what he wanted and the guy sold him some hormones or something like that.

Anyway, whatever he took, for only three weeks, seems to have destroyed his liver. He is in the hospital being treated and they are hoping his liver will resume functioning, but they have put him on a transplant list.

His daughter, and only child, is 8 and good friends with my daughter. Edgar is a stay at home dad while his wife has the corporate job. He does the cleaning and cooking. He does pool work on the side while his daughter is at school. His daughter is his life and he is his daughter's life.

Please pray that his liver will respond to treatment and he will not need a transplant. Also pray that he will wise up and quit smoking to increase his energy level rather than resort to chemicals (so called 'natural' or not).
Thoughts and prayers for him, but frankly, this was stupid and avoidable, putting something into your body without knowing the potential negative effects. Even if your body already makes the hormone, there's a reason it's present only in whatever small quantities normally are there. Putting a lot more of it into you is almost always going to overload the metabolic processes that eliminate it from your body, which appears to be what happened here.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:32 pm

Here is an article about herbs and liver damage.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/200 ... ivers.html
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

jsuchard

#14 Post by jsuchard » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:41 pm

This happens to be an area of particular professional interest to me.

If I knew more about what the supplement/s contained, and the person's clinical condition (apparently dire), I could potentially make some comments regarding causality and treatment options.
* Either Arglebargle IV or someone else.

a1mamacat

#15 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:40 pm

Good wishes being sent.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

christie1111
11:11

#16 Post by christie1111 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:39 pm

Is there an update on their condition?
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:57 pm

christie1111 wrote:Is there an update on their condition?
Edgar is out of the hospital because his insurance won't pay for anymore nights. He is going to the kids' volleyball games. He looks better, from what I've heard, but his eyes are as yellow as those emoticons. They are still hoping for the liver to resume full function.

I will see if I can find out exactly what he took. I'm curious, as I know some here are. But I haven't been able to see him as I have been working 60-65 hour weeks for the last 7 weeks. This is the last crunch week...I hope.