Wedding blog - Big Day minus 205

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Wedding blog - Big Day minus 205

#1 Post by gsabc » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:27 pm

My assignments for this deal are important, to be sure, but I occasionally wonder if I'm being humored. "Yes, dear, you can have some input into the wedding. Here's the list. Go play while we make the real decisions."

One of my tasks is to arrange for the ASL interpreter for HS and his date, who are deaf. We did the same years ago for one of his cousin's Bar Mitzvahs, but the poor woman (men are very rare in the profession) was mostly ignored by him. His maturity level has gone up since then, thank Ghu, so we think attention will be paid this time. Meanwhile, more expense, albeit well-spent; the state agency says the going rate is anywhere from $70 to $120 per hour, not to mention any other expenses, plus the extra food plate.

The "food tasting" will be in three weeks. The three of us, and every other bride-to-be who has chosen this place for their wedding and their family members, will be at the country club to check out the foods and presumably decide on what we want. I hope this isn't like parents weekend in college, when the quality of the cafeteria food increases by an order of magnitude. The available menu looks fairly standard, with, of course, the elegance that costs you an extra $20 a head.

Crudités - for those who won't eat just carrot sticks and celery stalks. Everything sounds better in French. Hey, which would you rather eat, escargot or snails? The cheese platter - Brie with figs is extra. The French again. Antipasto and sushi displays - yet more foreign food names (AKA salami and bait, respectively). Where are the miniature pigs-in-a-blanket? Can't even find them under the "Butler Passed Hors d'Oeuvres" (this phrase brought up a seriously disgusting image that may prevent me from even trying one). They do have miniature cheeseburgers (Hear, kitteh, kitteh, kitteh! U can has moar than wun.), though with a "tangy tomato dipping sauce" instead of plain old "ketchup". That makes them worth $2.70 each, if I'm interpreting the menu correctly. And that's one of the least expensive choices.

I will go on about the menu at a later time. There's just too much worth a comment to stop here.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Appa23

Re: Wedding blog - Big Day minus 205

#2 Post by Appa23 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:50 pm

gsabc wrote:My assignments for this deal are important, to be sure, but I occasionally wonder if I'm being humored. "Yes, dear, you can have some input into the wedding. Here's the list. Go play while we make the real decisions."

One of my tasks is to arrange for the ASL interpreter for HS and his date, who are deaf. We did the same years ago for one of his cousin's Bar Mitzvahs, but the poor woman (men are very rare in the profession) was mostly ignored by him. His maturity level has gone up since then, thank Ghu, so we think attention will be paid this time. Meanwhile, more expense, albeit well-spent; the state agency says the going rate is anywhere from $70 to $120 per hour, not to mention any other expenses, plus the extra food plate.
What are you having? Maybe my wife would do it if you feed us (of course, you would have the airfare cost, so maybe go with the local gal. :) )

christie1111
11:11

#3 Post by christie1111 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:30 pm

The british versionof pig-in-the-blanket are sausage rolls.

I make a faux version with puff pastry and breakfast sausages and 'brown sauce' which are quite good.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#4 Post by Rexer25 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:54 pm

christie1111 wrote:The british versionof pig-in-the-blanket are sausage rolls.

I make a faux version with puff pastry and breakfast sausages and 'brown sauce' which are quite good.
My wife always called them toad-in-a-hole. It's really not quite the same, but what she calls sausage rolls does not have any bread.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

christie1111
11:11

#5 Post by christie1111 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:36 pm

Rexer25 wrote:

My wife always called them toad-in-a-hole. It's really not quite the same, but what she calls sausage rolls does not have any bread.
Our version of Toad-in-the-Hole has a egg custard around the sausages. Sort of like Yorkshire pudding with sausages cooked in it.

Do you have to keep brown sauce and ketchup in your house?
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Jeemie

#6 Post by Jeemie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:39 pm

gsabc wrote:My assignments for this deal are important, to be sure, but I occasionally wonder if I'm being humored. "Yes, dear, you can have some input into the wedding. Here's the list. Go play while we make the real decisions."
This is the absolute BEST part about being a guy in these situations.

It should make you happy.
1979 City of Champions 2009

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Jeemie wrote:
This is the absolute BEST part about being a guy in these situations.

It should make you happy.
Unless I screw up an assignment. The beatings will commence shortly thereafter.

Jeemie

#8 Post by Jeemie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:04 pm

gsabc wrote:Unless I screw up an assignment. The beatings will commence shortly thereafter.
Nah!

They're WAITING for you to screw up an assignment.

That way, they can take over everything and not feel guilty about it.

Then you'll TRULY be golden!
1979 City of Champions 2009

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#9 Post by Rexer25 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:10 pm

christie1111 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:

Our version of Toad-in-the-Hole has a egg custard around the sausages. Sort of like Yorkshire pudding with sausages cooked in it.

Do you have to keep brown sauce and ketchup in your house?
She tried to explain the difference to me one time, but since I don't know cooking, it's hard to communicate.

We used to scramble to find brown sauce, but it's not as big a deal for her anymore. She doesn't ask for it as much. She uses Tobasco more often.

We have kids, therefore we have ketchup.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

gsabc

#10 Post by gsabc » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Rexer25 wrote:We have kids, therefore we have ketchup.
Not necessarily true. While HS put ketchup on just about everything, BD has never eaten it. I mean never. Her roomies would even offer her money to taste it, and she refused.

fuzzywuzzy

#11 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:56 pm

gsabc wrote: One of my tasks is to arrange for the ASL interpreter for HS and his date, who are deaf. We did the same years ago for one of his cousin's Bar Mitzvahs, but the poor woman (men are very rare in the profession) was mostly ignored by him. His maturity level has gone up since then, thank Ghu, so we think attention will be paid this time. Meanwhile, more expense, albeit well-spent; the state agency says the going rate is anywhere from $70 to $120 per hour, not to mention any other expenses, plus the extra food plate.
It is a well-spent expense for HS! BTW gsabc, meant to tell you, my sis in-law got new hearing aids. They are great, however $6,100.00, and insurance will NOT pay for them. WHAT? Yeah, like its something that she can do without (like a boob job)! I just do not get it!

I think the people at some medical insurance companies are the real boobs! :P

I am curious, what does BD put on her french fries? Or a hamburger?

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#12 Post by kayrharris » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:13 pm

I don't eat ketchup either. I like mustard on my hamburgers and I'll take my fries straight up...although I'm avoiding them altogether at the moment.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:21 pm

gsabc wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:We have kids, therefore we have ketchup.
Not necessarily true. While HS put ketchup on just about everything, BD has never eaten it. I mean never. Her roomies would even offer her money to taste it, and she refused.
I can't stand it either. My sister loves it but hates raw tomatos.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

gsabc

#14 Post by gsabc » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:34 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote: I am curious, what does BD put on her french fries? Or a hamburger?

fuzzy 8)
Nuttin'. She is a purist. No mustard on hot dogs, no ketchup on hamburgers, only salt on fries. Plain baked or grilled chicken, no barbecue sauce. Salt on her steaks at most. And so on.

peacock2121

#15 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:04 am

This is the stuff I wanted to hear about!

Look to see if you really want to be jeemie in the matter or someone else. If you want to be jeemie in the matter, then just keep on giving whatever effort you need to give to get fired and call it a day.

If you don't want to be jeemie in the matter - talk to GW and BD - tell them what you want. Tell them what you think you would be good at and what would make you feel useful.

Keep in mind what you want to say the morning after the wedding. Do you want to say "Damn, I am glad that is over." or something else?