RIP Bobby Fischer

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
NellyLunatic1980

RIP Bobby Fischer

#1 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:58 am

Reclusive chess champion, at age 64

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080118/ap_ ... _fischer_9

BackInTex

#2 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:19 am

He was someone who straddled the line separating genius from idiocy.

Too bad such genius has left the world without leaving behind any substatial benefit to the world.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:13 am

BackInTex wrote:He was someone who straddled the line separating genius from idiocy.

Too bad such genius has left the world without leaving behind any substantial benefit to the world.
Not all genius is beneficial. The Nazi leaders were geniuses at mass killings, for an extreme example. A more neutral form of genius might be the ability to solve a Rubik's cube in 10 seconds. Nice trick, but what's the benefit to the world? (I could use that last line to describe Paris Hilton.)

A saying that I read in junior high has stuck with me all these years:
Everyone's a genius, only in different subjects.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:38 am

After the attacks of September 11 2001, Fischer launched an outspoken denunciation of his home country during a live radio interview. "This is all wonderful news," he declared. "I applaud the act. The US and Israel have been slaughtering the Palestinians, just slaughtering them, for years. Robbing them and slaughtering them. No one gave a shit. Now it’s coming back to the US. F*** the US. I want to see the US wiped out. Death to the US." This outburst was not well received.
I love the English use of understatement.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:47 pm

Somehow, a vision of one partcular scene from Ingmar Bergman's Seventh Seal pops into my head.

tanstaafl2

#6 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:47 pm

BackInTex wrote:He was someone who straddled the line separating genius from idiocy.

Too bad such genius has left the world without leaving behind any substatial benefit to the world.
He may have started by straddling the line. He crossed it and dissappeared over the horizon of idiocy some time ago.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:31 pm

I loved the guy. I wasn't interested in the political subtleties of the Fischer-Spassky match, I just saw a fabulous rebel genius taking on a stodgy chess empire. For a long time, I saved the Sports Illustrated with his and Spassky's line drawings in it. It was sorta like this, except both were full-faced, and the artist gave Fischer this wicked/impish/devilish/whacky/bring-it-on grin.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:23 am

The movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer" was very good.

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#9 Post by etaoin22 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:59 pm

His 1972 run to the world championship was the single greatest chess accomplishment in over a century. No one could beat the daylights out of the top grandmasters in the world by a sequence of win after win after win, with either white or black, without intervening drawn games. But Fischer did. Once. And never could again.

Buffacuse

#10 Post by Buffacuse » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:28 pm

The late Dick Schapp said Fischer "didn't have a sane bone in his body."

He was right.

My question is: did his genius for chess screw him up, or are the genius and insanity somehow linked?