Was Idol weird tonight or what?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Was Idol weird tonight or what?

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:24 pm

Spoiler
Simon especially was completely unpredictable. Saying yes to the car crash gal who sang "Piece of my Heart" (Kayla) and especially Kyle, the next governor of Oklahoma?? While saying no to a couple that I thought sounded good. I think he must've known Kayla's backstory and wanted to do something nice for her, because frankly, she didn't sound so good to me. But Kyle, who sounded ok in a high school drama club production kinda way, is the type that Simon usually chews up and spits out, and he got a yes! It looked like Randy and Paula were in a state of shock on that one.

Noone really stood out for me tonight, although there were some good voices. Alaina, who sang the Faith Hill song, is a complete carbon copy of Carrie. Been there, done that. And I wasn't crazy about the original. Katie, who does vocal impersonations, has potential, and the guy who did "Boondocks" could have some fans, but noone particularly made me say "wow!".

Well, except for that last guy, but that was a different kind of "wow!". I agree with Simon. I also have the horrible feeling that we have not heard the last of that song. Have to admit, I was laughing by the end, especially with the "Saint Simon" camera shots.

"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

mrkelley23

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:28 pm

Spoiler
It was an odd episode, indeed.

I felt better about Elena, or Alaina, or however you spell it, than I did Carrie. She was on pitch, even a cappella, and her reactions were cute. That was what I DID like about Carrie when she was on. She knew what she was and what she was going for, but didn't have to yutz it up like Kellie Pickler.

I"m just sorry I missed the little flash of Kelly's original audition. I know it's been rerun to death, but somehow I've never caught it. She's still my fave.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

fantine33

Re: Was Idol weird tonight or what?

#3 Post by fantine33 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:34 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Spoiler
Simon especially was completely unpredictable. Saying yes to the car crash gal who sang "Piece of my Heart" (Kayla) and especially Kyle, the next governor of Oklahoma?? While saying no to a couple that I thought sounded good. I think he must've known Kayla's backstory and wanted to do something nice for her, because frankly, she didn't sound so good to me. But Kyle, who sounded ok in a high school drama club production kinda way, is the type that Simon usually chews up and spits out, and he got a yes! It looked like Randy and Paula were in a state of shock on that one.
Spoiler
I've still got half an hour to go here, but I LOVED Kyle! It takes some cubes to attempt Freddie Mercury at all, let alone a cappella. He reminded me of this guy that was on Nashville Star a few years ago (I only saw a couple episodes ever so I can't get more precise than that) that had this Buddy Holly/Rockabilly thing going on. So, I guess Buddy Holly twice removed.

Then again, I liked the transvestite doing Over the Rainbow (natch).

Some tractor kid is on now. I thought he sounded good until I looked up and saw Bret Favre. Ha!

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:35 pm

I've never watched the first shows of AI. I must remember to set the DVR. At least that way I can fast forward through what I don't want to see.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:52 pm

kayrharris wrote:I've never watched the first shows of AI. I must remember to set the DVR. At least that way I can fast forward through what I don't want to see.
If you do, check out my "Idol edit" threads for Skoop as a guide for negotiating past the painful ones. She's doing the fast-forward thing.

If they keep the balance like it's been thus far, I will have no problem with the audition shows. It's been pretty even with the good, the bad, and the tone deaf. I admit being amused by the utterly clueless (not by the tender hearted ones who get shot down, just the extroverted nincompoops who seem incredulous that their "talents" are not appreciated..although I still refuse to believe they're not there just to get on tv). However, last year it seemed to be 90% train wrecks, 10% talent. So far, they've evened it out more, which is good. I WOULD like to hear everyone who was sent to Hollywood, but then the episodes would be stretched out even further before the real competition started.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

fantine33

#6 Post by fantine33 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Okay after seeing the whole thing, I must clarify that
Spoiler
The Kyle I liked was the Glee Club president, not the Kyle who was like Michael Des Barres crossed with the Green Day guy. Ha!

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:20 pm

fantine33 wrote:Okay after seeing the whole thing, I must clarify that
Spoiler
The Kyle I liked was the Glee Club president, not the Kyle who was like Michael Des Barres crossed with the Green Day guy. Ha!
Spoiler
What was that? Sorry, wasn't paying attention, I've just been sitting here singing "We Are Brothers".

Sing along with me!!

"I am your brother your best friend forever,

singing the songs the music that you like.

We are Brothers till the end of times together forever till the end of times."

ONE MORE TIME!!!!

"I am your brother your best friend forever,

singing the songs the music that you like.

We are Brothers till the end of times together forever till the end of times."

Number One on Billboard by Spring, I tell ya.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#8 Post by kayrharris » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:25 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
kayrharris wrote:I've never watched the first shows of AI. I must remember to set the DVR. At least that way I can fast forward through what I don't want to see.
If you do, check out my "Idol edit" threads for Skoop as a guide for negotiating past the painful ones. She's doing the fast-forward thing.

If they keep the balance like it's been thus far, I will have no problem with the audition shows. It's been pretty even with the good, the bad, and the tone deaf. I admit being amused by the utterly clueless (not by the tender hearted ones who get shot down, just the extroverted nincompoops who seem incredulous that their "talents" are not appreciated..although I still refuse to believe they're not there just to get on tv). However, last year it seemed to be 90% train wrecks, 10% talent. So far, they've evened it out more, which is good. I WOULD like to hear everyone who was sent to Hollywood, but then the episodes would be stretched out even further before the real competition started.

Thanks T-Bone. I will be sure to do that. It will definitely help.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

MarkBarrett

#9 Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:19 am

I did a search for "I Am Your Brother" on youtube and turned up two videos already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrsWCrlBD-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d0ajoZXQqo

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:19 am

I really don't like the warm and fuzzy Simon. He is being way too nice.

ladysoleil

#11 Post by ladysoleil » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:58 am

fantine33 wrote:Okay after seeing the whole thing, I must clarify that
Spoiler
Spoiler
That kid was creeeeeepy! When he broke into Better Than Ezra at the end, my first thought was, "No, you're worse than Ezra. Way worse.

I really think they should have let the Birdman through. He was a way better singer than William Hung and at least he was funny.

lilclyde54

#12 Post by lilclyde54 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:26 pm

Sorry missed Idol. I was watching my Rebels beat the two time defending NCAA basketball champions. I'll have to ask The Baboo.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

Sir_Galahad

#13 Post by Sir_Galahad » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Yes, this was an interesting segment. I said to Lady G that it takes guts to attempt a Freddie Mercury number and I thought the one (I don't know names yet) who tried it, did it admirably. I liked the Oklahoma governor guy and was surprised that he could sing that well at all. Whether or not that one girl that Simon claimed was best to date was best to date is open to interpretation. I thought she was good, though. Was that the same girl that did the impersonations? If not, I thought she was better. I think Renaldo bought himself a contract of some sort with that performance. I had tears rolling down my face it was that funny.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#14 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:Whether or not that one girl that Simon claimed was best to date was best to date is open to interpretation. I thought she was good, though. Was that the same girl that did the impersonations?
That was her. Kady (I thought it was Katie, but I guess it's Kady) is her name. She had a nice voice. Don't know if I'd go as far as saying she was the best of everyone we've seen so far, though. She didn't stand out THAT much to me.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#15 Post by ontellen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Renaldo was hilarious as were the judges - they just went with it and I also was crying from laughter. He couldn't be picked, of course, since he's 44. They just felt they had to show him to America and Canada and like Simon said, he's going to have a hit record with that song.