Another idiom soon to be gone

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Another idiom soon to be gone

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:34 am

"Fingernails on the chalkboard."

Even if it sticks around, the background of it will be maningless for my sons and their generation.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:36 am

Our district is doing a lo of remodeling and they always get rid of the chalkboards.

They say that they are protecting the teachers form the chalk dust.

earendel

Re: Another idiom soon to be gone

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:52 am

mrkelley23 wrote:"Fingernails on the chalkboard."

Even if it sticks around, the background of it will be maningless for my sons and their generation.
Dryerase markers on a whiteboard can sometimes produce a sound akin to the FOTC (I shudder even to abbreviate it) but it's not nearly as harsh. I read somewhere once that the reason why we have such an aversion to that sound is due to our ancestors - something dangerous made that noise.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:58 am

Emma's teacher says that the green Expo markers used on white boards "Smell like death."

Most of the kids gave him green Expo markers for his birthday.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#5 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:27 am

You keep saying stuff like that and you sound just like a broken record.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Catfish

#6 Post by Catfish » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:35 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:

Last week's Time has an article about the resurgence of vinyl LPs. Just before the issue arrived, my 14-year-old, who is doing a report on Jimi Hendrix, asked where our vinyl was. I have a feeling the turntables will soon be coming up out of the basement.
Catfish

a1mamacat

#7 Post by a1mamacat » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:50 am

Catfish wrote:

Last week's Time has an article about the resurgence of vinyl LPs. Just before the issue arrived, my 14-year-old, who is doing a report on Jimi Hendrix, asked where our vinyl was. I have a feeling the turntables will soon be coming up out of the basement.
well at least he dint ask you WHAT your vinyl was....
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:27 pm

What I would like is one-a-those turntables that reads your LP tracks with a laser, so as not to scrape off any (more) of the vinyl. People will probably say even that doesn't sound as warm as the Real Thing. I would like to hear it though.

This is not some kind of turning of LPs into (ugh) digital, its just tracing what's encoded in the grooves without bruising them.

Signed

Analog Girl In A Digital World

(was gonna be my album title if I ever had one)

ghostjmf

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:31 pm

I could, so I guess I will, go on & on about this; why-o-why is everyone so keyed up about "7 million pixels!", as in yesterday's BAM-Q, in their photographs, but they're happy to see how much infomation they can jettison from their digitized music. Then they complain that it sounds like an old tinny transistor. If they remember what an old tinny transistor sounds like, that is.

Catfish

#10 Post by Catfish » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:38 pm

a1mamacat wrote:well at least he dint ask you WHAT your vinyl was....
LOL! True enough! He's so used to having old codgers for parents, he's turned into one himself.
Catfish

andrewjackson

#11 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:41 pm

I had chalkboards in my classroom in Michigan. They were still there when I visited last fall.

One time for Homecoming Spirit week we had a day where the students were supposed to dress like teachers and the teachers like students. I had three different kids come to school wearing pants with chalk dust all over them. Everyone knew which teacher they were supposed to be.
No matter where you go, there you are.

wbtravis007

#12 Post by wbtravis007 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:48 pm

Rec! Good one.

By the way, does anybody know why it is that we all react that way to fingernails on a blackboard?

Also, here's something strange: my oldest daughter gets that same feeling over the paper wrappers that fit around straws. No one would ever consider her to be a weird person, but I've got to say that that seems pretty weird to me.

fantine33

#13 Post by fantine33 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:24 pm

Should I feel really old or really stupid that I didn't even realize what you meant until I read the third post down. I had no idea they used whiteboards! I'm going to have to ask the kids about that this weekend.

And is it weird that I want to go down to the school and salvage one of the blackboards and have it installed in my house? When we did board races in school it was always a big deal if you got the piece of chalk in the holder.
Catfish wrote:Last week's Time has an article about the resurgence of vinyl LPs. Just before the issue arrived, my 14-year-old, who is doing a report on Jimi Hendrix, asked where our vinyl was. I have a feeling the turntables will soon be coming up out of the basement.
The fact that children are doing school reports on Jimi Hendrix cracks me up. Also, my turntables never were in the basement. Then again, my stereo still has an 8 track in it. I'm either very cheap, my needs are few or I just don't care. Ha!

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:49 am

wbtravis007 wrote:

Rec! Good one.

By the way, does anybody know why it is that we all react that way to fingernails on a blackboard?
As I posted yesterday, it's said to be a throwback to our ancestors - some dangerous animal made that sound and our ancestors had to be attuned to it in order to know when to flee.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

#15 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:42 pm

earendel wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote: You keep saying stuff like that and you sound just like a broken record.
Rec! Good one.

As I posted yesterday, it's said to be a throwback to our ancestors - some dangerous animal made that sound and our ancestors had to be attuned to it in order to know when to flee.
According to Little Known Facts About Well-Known Stuff by David Hoffman (a Christmas gift) The sound of fingernails on a chalkboard is similar in frequency to some jungle primates and has been hardwired to us as a danger signal.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#16 Post by cindy.wellman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:50 pm

wbtravis007 wrote:

Rec!
I've been meaning to ask this for awhile now... What does "Rec!" mean?

#17 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:53 pm

cindy.wellman wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote: You keep saying stuff like that and you sound just like a broken record.
Rec!
On the old ABC bored you could click Rec to "Recommend" a post, We even had Rec Fairies to inflate the count.
Suitguy is not bitter.

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#18 Post by cindy.wellman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:54 pm

cindy.wellman wrote:
wbtravis007 wrote: Rec!
On the old ABC bored you could click Rec to "Recommend" a post, We even had Rec Fairies to inflate the count.
OH! I remember that button! Cool, thanks for the explanation.

Jeemie

#19 Post by Jeemie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:39 am

ghostjmf wrote:I could, so I guess I will, go on & on about this; why-o-why is everyone so keyed up about "7 million pixels!", as in yesterday's BAM-Q, in their photographs, but they're happy to see how much infomation they can jettison from their digitized music. Then they complain that it sounds like an old tinny transistor. If they remember what an old tinny transistor sounds like, that is.
Because most people are more "visual" then "audio".
1979 City of Champions 2009