Fess up... TV guilty pleasure?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fuzzywuzzy

Fess up... TV guilty pleasure?

#1 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:26 am

Since, I missed my TV guilty pleasure, I was just wondering, what you all like to watch, but, generally will not admit to it...we are not here to judge!

Me first...

Nip/Tuck

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:30 am

"Hell Date" on BET

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#3 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:31 am

MXC on Spike
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

5LD

#4 Post by 5LD » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:36 am

I don't watch tv with any regularity so the shows I watch have to be the ones that play several times so I get a chance to catch up with them.....

So, the only two shows I watch are Project Runway and Rock of Love. I consider them both guilty pleasures.

I used to try to watch House and American Idol but it's hard for me to catch them. I also used to watch Greys Anatomy and Desperate Houswives but I am boycotting ABC so those are off limits.

ksbirchtree

#5 Post by ksbirchtree » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:37 am

American Idol.... but I try to do something constructive while it's on, so I don't feel quite so guilty. :wink: Cut out quilt blocks last night.. start sewing them together tonight.

The other Quilting Christy
Live simply.... eat, sleep, quilt!

kusch

#6 Post by kusch » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:50 am

I still watch MTV's Real World. They just finished Sydney Australia last week and the reunion show is tonight. As usual, some interesting personalities.

fuzzywuzzy

#7 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:02 am

ksbirchtree wrote:American Idol.... but I try to do something constructive while it's on, so I don't feel quite so guilty. :wink: Cut out quilt blocks last night.. start sewing them together tonight.

Way to go Jayhawks! I got fwh his championship Jayhawk gear, and he wears his hat everyday!

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

ladysoleil

Re: Fess up... TV guilty pleasure?

#8 Post by ladysoleil » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:16 am

fuzzywuzzy wrote:Since, I missed my TV guilty pleasure, I was just wondering, what you all like to watch, but, generally will not admit to it...we are not here to judge!

Me first...

Nip/Tuck

fuzzy 8)
I've been watching Celebrity Rehab. I know it's supposed to be serious and it's not nice to laugh at the crazy, but there's some trainwreck behavior that I can't look away from.

nitrah55

#9 Post by nitrah55 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:17 am

It's not so much a guilty pleasure as an eccentric one: What's My Line?

I TiVo the GSN airing and watch it as I eat breakfast. Today, they aired their first color episode from 1966 - but it was in black and white. Mark Goodson made a deal with CBS to keep the kinescopes, which were b/w. The color videotapes of the show were erased a long time ago.

It's civilized TV, with a chance to see people much younger than they are now (today's mystery guest was Warren Beatty).

When they finish the run in a month or two, I'm thinking of starting up with I've Got a Secret.
I am about 25% sure of this.

mrkelley23

#10 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:33 am

I think of Survivor and AI as my guilty pleasures. The really trashy stuff is just too painful for me to watch.

Strangely, I can deal with AI better in the early rounds than I can some of the later ones. To hear the judges fawning over someone like Carrie Underwood, who was never on pitch that I can recall, is downright painful to me. Plus, the ones who are truly awful are usually so awful that it doesn't give me that fingernail-on-the-chalkboard feeling I get with the people who are 0.125 Hz off key.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#11 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:40 am

My guilty pleasure is reading romance novels.

Nobody has to drive kids around, or clean up cat shit, or worry about what is for dinner. There is staff who handles it.

christie1111
11:11

#12 Post by christie1111 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:41 am

ksbirchtree wrote:American Idol.... but I try to do something constructive while it's on, so I don't feel quite so guilty. :wink: Cut out quilt blocks last night.. start sewing them together tonight.

That is the way to do it! If you are making headway on a project, no guilt is required! What is the pattern/fabric?

I was machine quilting a baby quilt while watching the start of AI last night.

It will be the next avatar. I need it to be done so I can move on to the next project. Something springy probably!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:49 am

I'm not sure I have a "guilty pleasure" unless it's "Beauty and the Geek". I'm also addicted to reruns of M*A*S*H and Star Trek when I can catch them.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bixby17

#14 Post by Bixby17 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:00 am

The Girls Next Door is really good to watch when making muffins.

Actually, just about anything on E! is good to watch when making muffins.

mmmm muffins.

I think I will make some tonight.

mikehardware

#15 Post by mikehardware » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:20 am

Rasslin'

Yeah, it's scripted, but it's still fascinating in a weird sort of way.

I was at one live show, where Kamala (The Ugandan Giant) was whipping up on some poor guy. His manager was distracting the referee while illegal mayhem was being administered. Some drunk guy in the audience had enough, climbed over the barrier and onto the back of the manager! The two guys in the ring paused while security quickly dragged the guy out. They were looking like, "Hey, there's a real fight out there!"

Appa23

#16 Post by Appa23 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:04 pm

This weeek, I found my newest guilty TV pleasure: Scott Baio is 46 and Pregnant. (A follow-on to last season's " Scott Baio is 45 and Single".)

The intentional humor is funny, and the unintentional humor is off-the-charts.

Plus, I love a show where Baio hangs out with Jason Hervey from "Wonder Years", and Hervey is the most grounded of his friends.

Tocqueville3

#17 Post by Tocqueville3 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:50 pm

Bixby17 wrote:The Girls Next Door is really good to watch when making muffins.

mmmm muffins.

Yes. Muffins are good. Cupcakes are better, tho. Everything is better with frosting.

The Girls Next Door is a guilty pleasure. Those chicks make me feel like such a freaking rocket scientist. I especially like the parts when Holly starts talking about marrying and having kids with Hef. Yeah...right, honey. Like he's gonna give up those other two ding bats so he can procreate with you.

I always wonder just what their relationship is like. Do they have to take turns with Hef? Does he just choose which girl he wants to make it with that particular night? Do they ever fight over Hef? Is Kendra brain dead? Can Hef still really get it up? I mean come on... he's like 109 years old.

I can't imagine living like that. Those gals are like really pretty Kleenex to that old dude and yet I still continue to watch. Duh.

andrewjackson

#18 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:55 pm

Rexer25 wrote:MXC on Spike
I watch this and I don't feel guilty at all.

That's good solid entertainment.
No matter where you go, there you are.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#19 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:56 pm

Tocqueville3 wrote:
Bixby17 wrote:The Girls Next Door is really good to watch when making muffins.

mmmm muffins.

Yes. Muffins are good. Cupcakes are better, tho. Everything is better with frosting.

The Girls Next Door is a guilty pleasure. Those chicks make me feel like such a freaking rocket scientist. I especially like the parts when Holly starts talking about marrying and having kids with Hef. Yeah...right, honey. Like he's gonna give up those other two ding bats so he can procreate with you.

I always wonder just what their relationship is like. Do they have to take turns with Hef? Does he just choose which girl he wants to make it with that particular night? Do they ever fight over Hef? Is Kendra brain dead? Can Hef still really get it up? I mean come on... he's like 109 years old.

I can't imagine living like that. Those gals are like really pretty Kleenex to that old dude and yet I still continue to watch. Duh.
Knowing of my admiration for Hugh Jackman, Jeff bought tickets for us to see "The Boy from Oz" a few years ago when we in NYC.

Hugh Hefner was in the crowd, with the entourage of girls. Hugh Jackman stopped the show and asked the girls with Hugh to dance.

I wouldn't fight over Hugh Hefner. I am sure they do it for the publicity.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#20 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:13 pm

andrewjackson wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:MXC on Spike
I watch this and I don't feel guilty at all.

That's good solid entertainment.
Watching Japanese people perform stupid stunts with adolescent American voice overs...I'm surprised it's not on Masterpiece theater.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

ksbirchtree

#21 Post by ksbirchtree » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:16 pm

christie1111 wrote: What is the pattern/fabric?

I was machine quilting a baby quilt while watching the start of AI last night.

It will be the next avatar. I need it to be done so I can move on to the next project. Something springy probably!
It's a prayer quilt for a guy. Found some fabric on clearance with pheasants, so it's browns and greens.

Found out last week that my nephew (recipient of the Jayhawk quilt) and his wife are expecting their first baby in the summer. So need to start thinking about a baby quilt.

So many projects, so little time!
Live simply.... eat, sleep, quilt!

Vails

#22 Post by Vails » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:24 pm

A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila.
Oh, the shame of it. Yet ShallowVails could not turn away.

MXC is frolicking good fun.

World Poker Tour is a guilty pleasure because I have no business watching it. I have no desire to play poker.

I haven't watched quality TV in ages, unless you count Amazing Race, Mythbusters, Grossology, and Ghost Hunters as quality, which I do. Let's just say I haven't watched scripted TV in ages. I'll borrow all the boxed-set DVDs from the library in about 20 years and watch them then.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#23 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:49 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:I think of Survivor and AI as my guilty pleasures. The really trashy stuff is just too painful for me to watch.

Strangely, I can deal with AI better in the early rounds than I can some of the later ones. To hear the judges fawning over someone like Carrie Underwood, who was never on pitch that I can recall, is downright painful to me. Plus, the ones who are truly awful are usually so awful that it doesn't give me that fingernail-on-the-chalkboard feeling I get with the people who are 0.125 Hz off key.
When I read this, I had to double check to make sure I had not written it and forgot I did so. I also enjoy Survivor and AI (The next Great American Band was also a guilty pleasure). I used to watch for the train wrecks and stop once they got to the competition (as I perceived it was all Mariah Carey and N-Sync wannabes). Then, in season 4 I saw Bo Bice. Thinking "hey, cool, a rock guy passed the audition", I thought I'd continue watching until Bo was eliminated. Of course, he lasted all the way to the finals and I found myself hooked. Actually, at first I thought I had TWO rock guys to root for, until Constantine turned out to be a preening camera ho, thus giving me a "villain" to hiss at. Season 5, with Taylor, Elliott, Daughtry, and Mandisa, gave me even more to root for, with McPhee providing the "villainy", and although I didn't enjoy Season 6 so much, I'm hoping this season will be an improvement.

Mr. K, I am so glad that I am not the only one who heard Ms. Underwood's pitch problems. I remember thinking every week, "Is my hearing going? Doesn't ANYBODY notice those notes are just a bit off?" I always thought that her most-praised performance, "Alone", was successful due more to the backup singer than Carrie herself. And on her "Saturday Night Live" performance (the night Peyton Manning hosted), she STILL was not hitting those notes quite right! Sure, she sounds great on cd--those ProTools in the studio were able to make PARIS HILTON sound somewhat like a singer, of course they're gonna polish up Carrie to a super shine. Live..she STILL doesn't impress me.

At least now I know I'm not "Alone" in my opinion (har har).
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#24 Post by silvercamaro » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:01 pm

I have no guilty pleasures.

I feel no guilt whatsoever.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#25 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:07 pm

silvercamaro wrote:I have no guilty pleasures.

I feel no guilt whatsoever.
Sheesh! Where were you when I was single??? :wink:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck