Wedding blog - Big Day minus 208

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Wedding blog - Big Day minus 208

#1 Post by gsabc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:15 pm

Did I mention this is to be a military wedding? That saves on the tux rentals, at least. But they had better not perform the sword swat on the bride's backside part, or else the relationship between the (no longer F)SIL and his MIL will be off to a very shaky start. One unintentional outcome is the patriotic theme of the bridal party's outfits. Without thinking beyond how they looked, BD chose red gowns for the bridesmaids. So the bridal party will be an array of red, white and blue, with a couple of black spots (me and HS). I suppose we could try to find tuxes to match military dress blues in color, but I think that would detract from the overall image. Focus on them, not us, if you please.

Is it considered bad luck to have problems with an engagement ring? The setting for BD's has given her a lot of trouble. Had it been a car, it would be subject to the lemon laws. She is bad with rings anyway, managing to crack or damage the bands on a couple of others she owns.

First, the engagement ring needed resizing, which IMO is where the problems started. Then the setting needed to be firmed up. Fortunately, no stones were lost, because they were from FSIL's grandmother. They were looser than you'd like, though. Then the repair from the resizing apparently wasn't done properly, and a crack appeared in the band's outer surface. I have to go and pick up the (hopefully) final fix today. The jewelers gave up and just plain made an entirely new band, resetting the stones into it. Thank goodness FSIL knew about BD's ring problems, and paid extra for a lifetime warranty on the thing. Should I point out that this is more savings? (You can never point to how much money you've saved. This is probably the only country in the world where you can go broke saving money. If you ask someone about what to do with the saved money, the obvious retort is "Show it to me.")
Last edited by gsabc on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

tanstaafl2

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:40 pm

When you say military wedding I presume you mean Army, or at least some other branch of the service than Navy.

Because Navy Dress uniforms are Navy Blue. Which is essentially black.

Unless the wedding is in the summer in which case they could be white uniforms. The Army also has dress whites although I understand they will getting phased out soon if they haven't already.

I know nothing about weddings but it does seem like red is an interesting choice for bridesmaids. Red to me suggests a lady lookin' for a party!

Aren't those dresses usually some hideous pastel shade????

Or is it just the design of the dress that is usually hideous? Whatever it is I know that bridesmaid dress are apparently traditionally hideous.

At least if you believe what you see on sitcom TV...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:10 pm

Or is it just the design of the dress that is usually hideous? Whatever it is I know that bridesmaid dress are apparently traditionally hideous.
I think you need to attend more weddings......or maybe see the new movie "27 Dresses".
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Better Homes and Gardens has a free wedding newsletter that you can sign up for:

https://secure.bhg.com/common/profile/q ... tid=359110

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:29 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:

I think you need to attend more weddings......or maybe see the new movie "27 Dresses".
I really want to see that movie. Since I was the first among my friends to get married, I was always the bride and never a bridesmaid.

My old boss had been in 14 weddings as of fourteen years ago. She said that if she ever got married, she was going to make all of the brides be her bridesmaid and wear the dresses they put her in.

She still isn't married.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Is there a rule about married women not being allowed to be bridesmaids? I suppose it may be tradition but having photographed about 300 weddings I have seen just about everything......including a dog as the ring bearer.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#7 Post by kayrharris » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:18 pm

Of course a married woman can be a bridesmaid. Doesn't matter if you're single, married, divorced, have a significant other or whatever.

That doesn't make the dresses any better. It's really a shame how much money is spent on a dress that is almost always only worn once.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:18 am

I will see if BD can point me to a photo of the bridesmaids' dresses. They look nice, which is to say they could be worn elsewhere besides a wedding. The red color seems a bit bright to me, but I have no say in the matter.

Which reminds me that I haven't posted a photo of the bride's dress, either. I'll try to remember tonight.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#9 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:27 am

I am wondering if BD has small fingers. Even though I am not a small girl, my ring size is a 4.5. I couldn't get the wedding ring I really wanted because of the curve required to be small enough to be a size 4.5.

Stones won't bend. They win against metal.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#10 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:14 am

What Pea said is true. I just had my ring reset. The stones go so far down the side of the ring, it was hard to make it small enough to fit my finger, also a 4.5.

I had to take it back twice. I just got it back yesterday and it seems to fit OK now.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin