Wedding blog - Day 209

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Wedding blog - Day 209

#1 Post by gsabc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:38 pm

Quick entry to get one in today. Problems on the home front. GW's original company went belly-up several years ago, thanks to some extremely poor decisions by the board of directors and upper management. While her part of the company was bought out and survived relatively intact, the same cannot be said of her retirement fund. Put succinctly, she got Enroned. Since then, she has been a bit paranoid about spending money and our ability to retire any time before we're both 90. We're both maxing out our 401(k)'s, and trying to save and invest beyond that.

So this wedding costs are a thorn in her side. Today, she and BD got into a shouting match over something BD wanted for the wedding (I never did figure out what; I stayed out of it entirely, making myself busy doing laundry, changing the bed, taking care of the dog, and trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible). GW is completely unwilling to incur any sort of debt for it. While I don't want to give BD a blank check, I trust her to be level-headed enough that I'm willing to give her most of what she wants. I also don't want my own shouting match with GW, which we have come close to already with the same subject matter. I think GW is remembering our wedding, done on the cheap. That ain't gonna happen here. I'll be happy with somewhere around the supposed average of $25-30K.

Right now, there seems to be a truce. BD probably won't get some extra she wanted, which hopefully won't become a bitter memory down the road. Ah well. As we keep saying, we have to give the kids something to discuss with the therapist.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:19 am

We came up with a great compromise for Pealette's wedding.

Her father told her how much he was willing to spend. If I recall, it was $15,000. Her job was to have the wedding she wanted inside of that budget.

She ended up asking me and her mother to pay for things outside of the $15,000. She and her husband to be paid for the rest.

It put an end to any agruing about what was "extra" and what was not.

Dr Dick also told her that whatever was left from the $15,000, she could have for her future.

There was nothing left.

Maybe you and GW could come up with a figure (not a range, but a figure) and tell BD - this is it - spend it as you see fit and there will be no more.