Mad Men...Wins for Best Drama & Best Actor in a Drama

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fuzzywuzzy

Mad Men...Wins for Best Drama & Best Actor in a Drama

#1 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:39 am

Mad Men Wins Golden Globe for Best Drama; Hamm for Best Actor

Mad Men won the Golden Globe Sunday night for Best Television Series (Drama), beating out HBO's Big Love, FX Network's Damages, ABC's Grey's Anatomy, FOX's House, and Showtime's miniseries The Tudors in the process. Also victorious was Jon Hamm who won a Golden Globe for Best Actor (Drama).

Mad Men's series creator Matthew Weiner reflects upon the win after the jump.

It’s an amazing experience to have an idea that you can barely put into words and then push through writing it, push five years up a hill to sell it, and then see it blossom into something better than you dreamed.

None of this happens without supportive representatives, intelligent executives and gifted artists in every position on the show. We are all extremely grateful to the Hollywood Foreign Press in what was a truly notable year in television.

AMC General Manager and Executive Vice President shared the sentiment noting,

Congratulations and thanks to Matthew Weiner for creating and writing such an outstanding series, and to Jon Hamm for bringing Don Draper to life in such a compelling way. We’re incredibly proud of Mad Men and of the critical acclaim it’s received, and want to extend our thanks and congratulations to the entire team that helped make the series such a success.

This is a truly momentous event for our network and a solid affirmation of our programming strategy of creating high-quality, scripted content that stands side-by-side with our extensive library of the best films of all time.

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#2 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:26 am

I confess I've never heard of this show, and I don't even know what network it might be on. Perhaps it airs against something else that has earned my long-standing loyalty.

Or not.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:31 am

It's on AMC. After the show won, I tried to Tivo it so I could see what it's about. The next showing is on at Midnight on January 21st. I guess it's encores of Season One.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:43 am

silvercamaro wrote:I confess I've never heard of this show, and I don't even know what network it might be on. Perhaps it airs against something else that has earned my long-standing loyalty.

Or not.
It's about advertising, and it's a period piece set in the 1960s (??). It's quite realistic in terms of the period depiction (men smoking, women being seen and not heard).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:43 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:It's on AMC. After the show won, I tried to Tivo it so I could see what it's about. The next showing is on at Midnight on January 21st. I guess it's encores of Season One.
Thanks, PSM. I see now that AMC is mentioned in the press release quoted by Fuzzy. Since I don't even know what channel number is home to AMC on my cable line-up, I must assume that AMC itself is not on my radar unless I notice in the channel guide some old movie that I particularly want to see.

Okay, 1960, advertising. I might like that.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by ontellen » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:45 pm

Judy, it's a fascinating show and especially so for someone in our young age range. I remember working in offices like this. The men could smoke at their desks but not the women. Every guy out for whatever he could get and to hell with the wife and kids. Snide sexist remarks, never giving a woman credit for any idea.

It started out in 1960 with the Kennedy-Nixon election looming. It's well worth checking out.

You can download it from the net. I have the 4th last and last 2 downloaded because I missed them since it's on opposite ER. However, the first episodes were shown about 4 or 5 more times during the week.

I'm sure they'll rerun the first season before the second starts.