RIP Johnny Podres

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

RIP Johnny Podres

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:59 am

Brooklyn Dodger pitcher and hero, who helped the Dodgers win their only World Series (in Brooklyn) by beating the Yankees twice in the 1955 World Series, including a 2-0 shutout in the seventh game at Yankee Stadium. Podres was only 23 at the time and wound up pitching 15 years in the majors with three different teams, winning 148 games. He also became a pitching coach after his retirement. The Yankeepitcher he beat in that seventh game, Tommy Byrne, died in December.

Age 75.

macrae1234

#2 Post by macrae1234 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:42 am

The World Series Most Valuable Player Award was originally given by the editors of Sport Magazine and started in 1955. The award is now voted on during the final game of the World Series by a committee of reporters and officials in attendance. It is announced at the game and soon thereafter Chevy presents the winner with a new Corvette. Johnny Podres was the first winner
We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:00 am

macrae1234 wrote:The World Series Most Valuable Player Award was originally given by the editors of Sport Magazine and started in 1955. The award is now voted on during the final game of the World Series by a committee of reporters and officials in attendance. It is announced at the game and soon thereafter Chevy presents the winner with a new Corvette. Johnny Podres was the first winner
It was red.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

macrae1234

#4 Post by macrae1234 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:16 am

Not dodger blue!!!!

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by etaoin22 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:00 pm

Podres was a part of the remarkable non-championship Detroit Tigers who participated in the last genuine down-to-the-final-weekend pennant race in major league baseball, in 1967.

(races for divisions and wild cards are NOT the same)

I remember listening to this game from WJR in Detroit, audible in the late evening and night in Ottawa, on June 30, 1967 before going to Parliament Hill to celebrate Canada's 100'th birthday.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-sco ... 6706300DET

Podres also pitched for the Padres.

macrae1234

#6 Post by macrae1234 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:27 pm

Etaoin said
I remember listening to this game from WJR in Detroit, audible in the late evening and night in Ottawa, on June 30, 1967 before going to Parliament Hill to celebrate Canada's 100'th birthday
and a few hours later in Ladysmith, British Columbia, 90 km northwest of Victoria, British Columbia, Carol, a waitress, and Barry , a furnace repairman had a baby girl
Spoiler
Pamela Anderson

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by etaoin22 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:06 pm

Another four things about the '67 Tigers.

(i) New manager Mayo Smith was at least not averse to making tough lineup choices, putting in Ray Oyler at shortstop, even though Oyler was somewhere below Mendoza in hitting talent, and pitching the young'uns in a starting rotation of Wilson, McLain, Lolich and Sparma. Earl Wilson was not young, but he was a big big fan favorite.

Wickersham and Podres were out, as far as regular rotation.

(ii) Despite what seemed to be the best roster, the team never completely gelled, leaving room for Dick Williams' Bosox to win on the final weekend. Looking at the day-to-day record on Baseball Almanac , I see ridiculous losing streaks, balancing the good times.

(iii) The absence of Denny McLain down the stretch, having something to do with something done to him by ne'er-do-wells, was also important

(iv) However, the most crucial shortcoming of this team? Well, take a look at this list:

Fred Gladding
Larry Sherry
Orlando Pena
Bill Monbouquette
Johnny Klippstein
Johnny Podres
Dave Wickersham
Pat Dobson
Hank Aguirre
Mike Marshall
John Hiller
Fred Lasher

and be surprised to note that the team's biggest failing -- despite all these pitchers in the bullpen at one time or other -- was relief pitching..