Owwee again

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

Owwee again

#1 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:59 pm

Am I just accident prone or what?

Making a nice big pot of chili for the family tonight seeings as I wasn't home to cook Sunday lunch for them. I was rinsing out the empty cans I had used. I don't have an electric can opener. I hate them, they are hard to clean, yada, yada, so I just use a regular old fashioned can opener.

One of the lids was still attached to the can. I rinsed it and then pushed the lid down into the can, at the same time trapping my finger in between the lid (with the sharp edge) and the side of the can.

The sharp edge of the can is cutting my finger, however, there is no way to remove my finger without pushing the lid the rest of the way inside the can while it continues to slice my finger.

I managed to get it out, didn't get any blood in the chili, but I guarantee you that sucker will be sore tomorrow.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Ritterskoop

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:02 pm

Yikes. I used to cut the tip of my left index finger doing page paste-up, and it takes forever to stop bleeding. All I could do was stand there with it under the running cold water. And then tight, tight Band-Aids. And then yeah, it hurts for a day or two. But not too long. Ice is your friend.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:05 pm

Ouch, I am so sorry. I don't have an electric opener either, for the same reason.

I thought about making homemade chili for my family tonight, but I don't think that I will now.

I hope that your finger heals quickly.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#4 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:09 pm

Thanks. You'll prolly be fine making it tonight because you'll be sure to be extra careful around those sharp lids. :)

I've cut my finger on the lids plenty of times, but this was different since I had to make it worse just to get my finger unjammed. I'm a klutz, obviously. :roll:
Benjamin Franklin

ladysoleil

Re: Owwee again

#5 Post by ladysoleil » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:10 pm

kayrharris wrote:Am I just accident prone or what?

Making a nice big pot of chili for the family tonight seeings as I wasn't home to cook Sunday lunch for them. I was rinsing out the empty cans I had used. I don't have an electric can opener. I hate them, they are hard to clean, yada, yada, so I just use a regular old fashioned can opener.

The sharp edge of the can is cutting my finger, however, there is no way to remove my finger without pushing the lid the rest of the way inside the can while it continues to slice my finger.

I managed to get it out, didn't get any blood in the chili, but I guarantee you that sucker will be sore tomorrow.
Ow. My first thought was to get the can opener to cut the rest of the lid off. Either the lid would then tilt into the can...or it would hack your finger more, though. I do goofy stuff like that all the time, so I sympathize.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:19 pm

I couldn't do that with one hand and I was home by myself.

It would have been nice to have had another person here to rescue me!
Benjamin Franklin

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#7 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Ouch!

Annie says "ouch," too, and that girl knows her ouchies.

Hope your finger feels better soon.

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:30 pm

Sympathy pains from here. I"m still flinching.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

fantine33

Re: Owwee again

#9 Post by fantine33 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:45 pm

kayrharris wrote:Am I just accident prone or what?

One of the lids was still attached to the can. I rinsed it and then pushed the lid down into the can, at the same time trapping my finger in between the lid (with the sharp edge) and the side of the can.

You need to get a "can unopener". They don't get dirty because there's no blade and no part of it goes in the can. I don't really know how it works exactly, but it undoes the crimping process and the lid just comes completely off with no sharp edges or anything!

Mine is a Krups Open Master (had to go and check).

The only time I don't like it is when I'm opening cranberry jelly on holidays because then I can't use the sharp lid to slice the log.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#10 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:54 pm

I will definitely check that out. It works OK...you don't have to fight it to open the cans?
Benjamin Franklin

fantine33

#11 Post by fantine33 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:58 pm

kayrharris wrote:I will definitely check that out. It works OK...you don't have to fight it to open the cans?
It's great! I bought one for my dad for Christmas maybe 5 years ago or so, when they first came out. It was expensive (I'm thinking 50 bucks) but he loved it. I got mine about 3 1/2 years ago at Linens n Things for I think about $35. I use it constantly because I just uncrimp the cat food cans instead of using those dangerous peel tab lids and it works just fine.

There's a small learning curve because you just use one hand and hook the lip over the edge of the can on the outside, not inside like a regular can opener. But it just won't take off if you do that, so you just hook it on and try again. Once it's done it keeps running but stops and you can be holding it up in the air and it doesn't fall off. The lid doesn't come off until you lift it off.

I'm looking for it and can't find it online at BB&B, LNT (my favourite haunts) or even Krups. Have they discontinued it? Noooooo!!!!!!!!11

TheConfessor

#12 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:04 pm

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#13 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:08 pm

fantine33 wrote: I'm looking for it and can't find it online at BB&B, LNT (my favourite haunts) or even Krups. Have they discontinued it? Noooooo!!!!!!!!11
The Krups on-line store says it has been permanently discontinued. You can still find it on eBay, though, for a pricy price:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

TheConfessor

#14 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:13 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit

#15 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:15 pm

As Seen On TV!

I got one of these and I really like it.

http://www.epinions.com/prices/Onetouch ... hite_29101

One Touch automatic can opener
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

fantine33

#16 Post by fantine33 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:19 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
fantine33 wrote: I'm looking for it and can't find it online at BB&B, LNT (my favourite haunts) or even Krups. Have they discontinued it? Noooooo!!!!!!!!11
The Krups on-line store says it has been permanently discontinued. You can still find it on eBay, though, for a pricy price:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=
Tell me about it! I was looking at ebay and seeing the high prices. Doesn't matter, I wouldn't sell mine at (almost) any price!
TheConfessor wrote:Here's one for 99 cents:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0204057913
Yeah, but if you look at the completed listings, you'll find that it isn't going to go for 99 cents. The lowest prices for the used ones have been 46-60 bucks.

I've been looking around and apparently they make some manual ones that don't cost too much. And those "As Seen on TV" ones I've seen at BB&B and LNT might work. But, since I have a fantastic one, I've never had the need to test them out.

fantine33

#17 Post by fantine33 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:21 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:As Seen On TV!

I got one of these and I really like it.

http://www.epinions.com/prices/Onetouch ... hite_29101

One Touch automatic can opener
Yes, that's the one! Nice to know they work if my Krups should ever (sob!) bite the dust.

marrymeflyfree

#18 Post by marrymeflyfree » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Ouch Kay! Between your finger and your toe...yeesh those are the two owiest minor injuries imo! :cry:

I have one of those hand-held openers that makes a smooth cut around the side - no sharp edges. The Naughty Norwegian hates it because it is a little funny to use until you really get used to it.

Here's the one I have if you want to give yourself an ouchie gift:

http://tinyurl.com/2c89dn

Edited to add: just saw that other recs have already been made in the same vein. :D

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#19 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:05 pm

Pampered Chef has a product as well:

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_product ... oryCode=KW

Catfish

#20 Post by Catfish » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:38 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Ouch, I am so sorry. I don't have an electric opener either, for the same reason.

I thought about making homemade chili for my family tonight, but I don't think that I will now.

I hope that your finger heals quickly.
What marvelous synchronicity.

We saw Sweeney Todd yesterday.
We have a vat of chili simmering away on the stove.
Kay's family almost found what Toby does in the movie.

The ground pork we bought while chili-ingredient shopping looked alarmingly like what came out of Mrs. L's machine.

Hope you feel better soon, Kay.
Catfish

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#21 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:57 pm

It's 99 cents but shipping is 11.95! I've never done Ebay, so I'd have to have a surrogate bidder. :?

I do like the looks of some of these. I'd have to be sure I could thoroughly clean it. The cheap one I have now can be thrown in the dishwasher with the rest of the dishes.
Benjamin Franklin

Ritterskoop

#22 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:10 pm

kayrharris wrote:

It's 99 cents but shipping is 11.95! I've never done Ebay, so I'd have to have a surrogate bidder. :?

I do like the looks of some of these. I'd have to be sure I could thoroughly clean it. The cheap one I have now can be thrown in the dishwasher with the rest of the dishes.
I'll bid on it for you, for your Christmas present I never got.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#23 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Well, thanks. That's very nice of you.

:)
Benjamin Franklin

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#24 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:53 pm

Somebody is bidding against you.

ghostjmf

#25 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:07 pm

I have cut myself in a similar way on cat-food can lids I was cleaning before I recycled them. Nowadays, I don't clean them so well before I recycle them.

I do not use electric openers in general because they rarely seem to actually remove the can lid for me. Just give the lucky can a ride around & around. I say it has to do with my being left-handed, & smart-asses tell me that an electric can-opener cannot possible be affected by handedness. But I'm doing something wrong nobody else does, that's for sure. Maybe its just that I'm me.