Wedding blog - Big Day minus 212 and counting

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Wedding blog - Big Day minus 212 and counting

#1 Post by gsabc » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 am

Decision #1 (well, #2, if you count the one about the groom) was easy. BD had been looking at wedding dresses since before the proposal. The choices had already been winnowed down to a few by the time FSIL transferred to Ft. Irwin. So now that the wedding was a go, it was relatively simple to decide on The One.

Our original thought had been that GW would make the dress herself. She'd made her own, after all, and her sewing skills are superb. The ability is there, but the time, alas, was not. Not so much due the relative nearness of the ceremony, but because of all the other life events that tend to intrude.

Two other factors came into the decision to buy instead of make. First, some quick-and-dirty calculations showed that we wouldn't be saving much money on the deal when you took the value of GW's time into account. There's this business concept called "opportunity cost", which means if you spend your money on one thing, you can't spend it on another. Exchange the word "money" with "time", and you see our reasoning. Better GW should be frantic about some other aspect of the wedding as it nears, than being frantic about the dress, too. Or worse, having to let me try to deal with that other aspect.

Second factor? We own a black dog. Black dog. White dress. Not a pretty picture.

Anyway, the dress was chosen. Now we had to find a nearby bridal shop that sold it so BD could actually try it on. I had no idea there were so MANY in the area! CFotB (Clueless Father of the Bride) tried to help by looking up the category of "Wedding Gowns" in the Yellow Pages. It told me "See Costumes - Masquerade and Theatrical". Hmmm. A comment on marriage, perhaps? I had more luck under "Bridalwear", but the dress designer's website proved much more useful in finding the local shops that carried it.

-----------------------------

Addenda:
- I'll leave off the "and counting" after today, as intuitively obvious. The only issue would be if it should somehow, Ghu forbid, become "and holding".
- Feel free to comment or ask questions. My replies may appear directly, or may become the subject of a later entry.
- Don't worry, I'll put up a photo of the dress at a later time.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

Re: Wedding blog - Big Day minus 212 and counting

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:08 am

gsabc wrote:Our original thought had been that GW would make the dress herself. She'd made her own, after all, and her sewing skills are superb. The ability is there, but the time, alas, was not. Not so much due the relative nearness of the ceremony, but because of all the other life events that tend to intrude.
elwing made her own wedding gown, as well as her mother's dress and helped with the bridesmaids' dresses.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:15 am

I bought a beautiful Jessica McClintock wedding dress and had it preserved. I wore my wedding dress to a few costume parties, but neither of the girls want to wear my dress.

Both of the girls already enjoy looking at wedding dress web sites.
Maddie wants something with an Empire cut, while Emma plans on wearing pants, though I suspect that she will change her mind.

I can't wait to see the dress.

GW should buy her shoes about a month before the big day and wear them around the house to stretch them out and make sure they are comfortable.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:04 am

My most favorite memory of the planning of Pealette's wedding was shopping for the gown. When she put 'the one' on, we both knew. I cried and she cried.

I wish for tears in your future.