Decisions, Decisions

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Sir_Galahad

Decisions, Decisions

#1 Post by Sir_Galahad » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:03 am

If you watched the Republican Debate last night, I am curious as to your reaction it. It really did not change my mind about any of the candidates but it did reinforce the way I felt about their positions.

I thought Thompson and Romney did the best and I was happy to see Thompson come alive. I thought his skewering of The Huckster was right on and I was waiting to see how The Huckster was going to try to wangle out what Thompson said. IMHO, he didn't.

I still think Romney is the most polished and presidential-looking and I would be completely comfortable with him as the nominee. I had no problem with anything he talked about.

My position on McCain has not changed. I think he is cut from the same mold as Hillary in that he will say whatever he thinks you want to hear. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him - which isn't very far.

I still like Rudy and do not believe he maintained a sanctuary city. I understand his position on that accusation and would be comfortable with him as the nominee.

And what can you say about Ron Paul? While I like his stance as a constitutionalist I do not like his position as an isolatist. I think he is about as far right as you can go and that's too far for my tastes.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

TheCalvinator24

#2 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:45 am

After watching the debates, I have come to the point where I can understand how each of the candidates has some appeal.

EXCEPT Romney. To me, Romney is smarmy and as phony as a three dollar bill.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

earendel

Re: Decisions, Decisions

#3 Post by earendel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:48 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:If you watched the Republican Debate last night, I am curious as to your reaction it. It really did not change my mind about any of the candidates but it did reinforce the way I felt about their positions.

I thought Thompson and Romney did the best and I was happy to see Thompson come alive. I thought his skewering of The Huckster was right on and I was waiting to see how The Huckster was going to try to wangle out what Thompson said. IMHO, he didn't.

I still think Romney is the most polished and presidential-looking and I would be completely comfortable with him as the nominee. I had no problem with anything he talked about.

My position on McCain has not changed. I think he is cut from the same mold as Hillary in that he will say whatever he thinks you want to hear. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him - which isn't very far.

I still like Rudy and do not believe he maintained a sanctuary city. I understand his position on that accusation and would be comfortable with him as the nominee.

And what can you say about Ron Paul? While I like his stance as a constitutionalist I do not like his position as an isolatist. I think he is about as far right as you can go and that's too far for my tastes.
Not surprisingly I didn't watch the debate, not being particularly concerned with whom the Republicans nominate. But I am curious to know why they would consider Huckabee - hasn't the country seen enough of small-state governors getting elected (see Carter, Jimmy and Clinton, William) and not doing well in the job?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

marrymeflyfree

#4 Post by marrymeflyfree » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:51 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:

Ditto that!

Sir_Galahad

#5 Post by Sir_Galahad » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:01 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:After watching the debates, I have come to the point where I can understand how each of the candidates has some appeal.

I think you're right in the smarmy respect. And, I also believe he is having a difficult time showing some personality and having folks believe that what he says, he does. I also believe some of what Huckabee says in that [paraphrasing here] many people would rather vote for someone they work with rather than someone that they used to work for. I still feel, though, that he is close to being the most conservative candidate of this bunch.

I am baffled by McCain's appeal, though.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:10 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:EXCEPT Romney. To me, Romney is smarmy and as phony as a three dollar bill.
I think you're right in the smarmy respect. And, I also believe he is having a difficult time showing some personality and having folks believe that what he says, he does. I also believe some of what Huckabee says in that [paraphrasing here] many people would rather vote for someone they work with rather than someone that they used to work for. I still feel, though, that he is close to being the most conservative candidate of this bunch.
I don't understand - didn't Mitt get all teary-eyed on several occasions? If it worked for Hillary, why not for him?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

TheCalvinator24

#7 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:56 pm

Sir_Galahad wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:After watching the debates, I have come to the point where I can understand how each of the candidates has some appeal.

I am baffled by McCain's appeal, though.
Romney's only the most conservative if you believe his 11th hour conversions on all the social issues that are supposed to matter to Conservatives (but it seems most "Conservatives" are willing to sacrifice the social leg of the stool, but woe be unto you if you challenge "conservative" hegemony on the economic leg of the stool).

I am willing to concede that Fred Thompson is the most Conservative viable candidate. Hunter probably edges him, but he's not viable. Paul can't even claim to be more conservative because he's completely wrong on security/foreign policy. I did feel a little bad for Paul when the crowd actually laughed at him. He deserved it, but it was still painful to see.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:15 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote: I did feel a little bad for Paul when the crowd actually laughed at him. He deserved it, but it was still painful to see.
On the way to Quiz Bowl today, I saw an Elect Paul sign. It looked like it was made out of cardboard and glittery silver spraypaint.

VAdame

#9 Post by VAdame » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:13 am

I heard an interesting McCain story tonight from a friend whose cousin was on the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal during the Vietnam War.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... cle&id=860

An accidental rocket launch (due to a faulty radio signal) hit a plane across the deck that was preparing to take off. It led to the 2nd-worst ship fire in US Navy history -- 134 killed & many more injured. And the carrier had to be taken in for repairs -- it was eventually repaired but never went back to Vietnam. Now, most of the crew were pretty happy about this -- they didn't particularly want to be in Vietnam! Except for one pilot. He was promised combat, & combat he would have. So he went to the captain & demanded a transfer to another vessel (the above article refers to it as "volunteering for duty on the USS Oriskany." The captain said, "Fine" & arranged his transfer. The pilot flew 4 combat missions before being shot down & held as a POW.

And, according to my friend who was telling it -- "John McCain was an idiot then & he's an idiot now!"