Spelling bees

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Spelling bees

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:24 pm

I am judging one next month. Has anyone done this? I know they'll give us some sort of rules and guidelines, but firsthand experience is also helpful. I competed in 7th grade but not since, so I've forgotten the rhythm, except for watching Akeelah and the Bee.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Catfish

#2 Post by Catfish » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:33 pm

I have no advice to give you, but I just wanted to say, Wow, what a totally cool assignment!
Catfish

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: Spelling bees

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:35 pm

[quote="Ritterskoop"]Has anyone done this? I know they'll give us some sort of rules and guidelines, but firsthand experience is also helpful./quote]

Don't let Dan Quayle help you.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Catfish wrote:I have no advice to give you, but I just wanted to say, Wow, what a totally cool assignment!
I volunteered. So far I'm the only one, and they asked for 2 judges and a timekeeper. The event has always been sponsored by the paper, so I hope they get more folks so we can keep doing it.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

KillerTomato

#5 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:05 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Catfish wrote:I have no advice to give you, but I just wanted to say, Wow, what a totally cool assignment!
I volunteered. So far I'm the only one, and they asked for 2 judges and a timekeeper. The event has always been sponsored by the paper, so I hope they get more folks so we can keep doing it.

Beware of the kid with the "magic foot".

And the other kid with his "unfortunate erection".

And it's spelled C-R-E-P-U-S-C-U-L-E.

(This message brought to you by The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, unfortunately closing on Broadway in just a couple of weeks.)
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:22 am

And the other kid with his "unfortunate erection".

Is Bob Dole here too?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.