RIP Sir Edmund Hillary

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
JBillyGirl

RIP Sir Edmund Hillary

#1 Post by JBillyGirl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:36 pm

The first man to climb Mount Everest (along with Tenzing Norgay, of course) died today at the age of 88.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

Depending on where he's buried, I may be able to pay my respects in New Zealand next month. Quite a guy.

Ritterskoop

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:11 pm

My goodness. I thought he'd been gone for years.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:13 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:My goodness. I thought he'd been gone for years.
Me too, Skoop.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:57 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:My goodness. I thought he'd been gone for years.
Someone's going to have to do a rapid edit on their DOA quiz.

VAdame

#5 Post by VAdame » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:08 pm

Hillary was a perennial in my GP entries, but last year I kicked him out at the last minute & replaced him with Louis Farrakhan (who is still, AFAIK, very much alive.)

ne1410s

#6 Post by ne1410s » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Edmund Hillary was one of my childhood heroes . I was only seven when he summited Everest so it must have been a big deal in order for me to remember the hoohaa that was raised at the time. (Diagram THAT sentence!)

I think Princess Elizabeth was crowned queen soon after his (and Norgay's) triumph. But I might be disremembering. Great times for a country/empire that was still reeling from WWII.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:11 pm

I knew he was still alive; I googled him every so often, and not much changed between googles. I started that when I read The Conquest of Everest by Sir John Hunt. Sir Hillary wrote the last chapter.

He's one of those people I was happy to be alive at the same time as on the same planet. It was always a pleasure to see film clips.

What a guy! I can't say I'll miss him -- I'll still think of him the same way I always did.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#8 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:13 pm

ne1410s wrote:Edmund Hillary was one of my childhood heroes . I was only seven when he summited Everest so it must have been a big deal in order for me to remember the hoohaa that was raised at the time. (Diagram THAT sentence!)

I think Princess Elizabeth was crowned queen soon after his (and Norgay's) triumph. But I might be disremembering. Great times for a country/empire that was still reeling from WWII.
It was something like four days, or maybe I'm misremembering. One of her first official acts was to knight him.