The next gus hunt

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
NellyLunatic1980

The next gus hunt

#1 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:26 am

... should be under way within the next two weeks. We're about 1,600 posts away from that milestone. Good luck to everybody! :)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

Re: The next gus hunt

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:31 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:... should be under way within the next two weeks. We're about 1,600 posts away from that milestone. Good luck to everybody! :)
Marley hit 28,000 recently. Does this count as a gus?

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:43 am

I haven't looked recently, but we were averaging about 400 posts/day on weekdays, and something less than that on weekends, depending on the status of various bored games, including FNGD.

That means we should hit it no later than middle of next week.

Unless we've gotten less gabby recently -- always a possibility.

There are one-third fewer Bored Games this month, after all.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:48 am

400 posts per weekday? Wow, that's much higher than I thought. I figured around half to two-thirds of that number.

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:400 posts per weekday? Wow, that's much higher than I thought. I figured around half to two-thirds of that number.
Since this board opened in early Oct. 2007, we have averaged over 300 posts per day. At the time of the gus hunt for 20000, I observed for a couple of weeks, and calculated right at 400 per weekday, and about 250 per weekend, although that was much less consistent than the weekdays.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Jeemie

#6 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:55 pm

I don't know why it is, but every time I go back to the main page, I keep reading this thread's title as "the next GAS hunt".

Search for the next great Mexican restaurant?
1979 City of Champions 2009

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:03 pm

Jeemie wrote:I don't know why it is, but every time I go back to the main page, I keep reading this thread's title as "the next GAS hunt".

Search for the next great Mexican restaurant?
Could also be a search for regular unleaded that is under $3.00/gallon...

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:07 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:400 posts per weekday? Wow, that's much higher than I thought. I figured around half to two-thirds of that number.
Since this board opened in early Oct. 2007, we have averaged over 300 posts per day. At the time of the gus hunt for 20000, I observed for a couple of weeks, and calculated right at 400 per weekday, and about 250 per weekend, although that was much less consistent than the weekdays.

I think we've been running in a bit of a rut since Christmas. Things picked up after New Years, but I don't think we're quite at the posting levels of December yet.

Of course, it'd be nice if this Bored gave a day by day breakdown, or made it easy enough to figure out like the old Bored...

lb13

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:11 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:I think we've been running in a bit of a rut since Christmas. Things picked up after New Years, but I don't think we're quite at the posting levels of December yet.

Of course, it'd be nice if this Bored gave a day by day breakdown, or made it easy enough to figure out like the old Bored...

lb13
How hard can it be? There's an option under the Memberlist to display total posts. It shouldn't be too hard to take a snapshot each day and just subtract the totals. Of course it wouldn't be exact unless you managed to take that snapshot the exact same time each day, but it would be close enough, I would think.

Added: Well, maybe not. I thought it displayed a post total also, but it doesn't, so it would require adding the column every day. I'm surprised the administrator console doesn't have some way of tracking post totals.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:15 pm

earendel wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:I think we've been running in a bit of a rut since Christmas. Things picked up after New Years, but I don't think we're quite at the posting levels of December yet.

lb13
How hard can it be? There's an option under the Memberlist to display total posts. It shouldn't be too hard to take a snapshot each day and just subtract the totals. Of course it wouldn't be exact unless you managed to take that snapshot the exact same time each day, but it would be close enough, I would think.

Added: Well, maybe not. I thought it displayed a post total also, but it doesn't, so it would require adding the column every day. I'm surprised the administrator console doesn't have some way of tracking post totals.

Two problems:

1. When I did the Daily Post Total log for the old Boreds, I got the totals from midnight to midnight Bored Time. Since there is only one day each week when I'm not at work or asleep at midnight Bored Time, that wouldn't be feasible.

2. The total on the front page only counts visible posts. Posts that are deleted are not shown, but they have always been accounted for in the logs.

The only method I'd come up with was going through post numbers until I found the last post of each day, but that would take forever... longer than it took to count posts on the TUB.

I'm surprised this Bored doesn't offer a feature like the Timeline feature the old Go Boreds had....

lb13

NellyLunatic1980

#11 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:37 am

Annie's return could not have been more perfectly timed. We're now less than 1,000 posts away from the $30,000 gus--er, I mean the 30,000-post gus.

I've also noticed that I'm coming up on a personal gus: 500 posts. :)