a lexicographical exploration

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

a lexicographical exploration

#1 Post by earendel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:18 am

Last night a friend and I were talking, and during the conversation she said something like, "My daughter called and while she was telling me something she started tuning up on me." I had no idea what that expression meant, so I asked, and she told me. It was an expression I'd never heard before, but later, when I asked elwing about it, she said she knew what it meant. I wondered if it was something she had learned since we came to Kentucky or if she had always known it (we grew up in Oklahoma, within a mile of each other). She didn't know the answer. That got me to wondering:

1. What is the derivation of the expression?
2. Is it a regional expression and if so, what region?

BTW, "tuning up" means to start crying.

So help me out here - have you heard this term? Was it something you grew up with, and if so, where did you grow up? I'm trying to track this down.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

christie1111
11:11

Re: a lexicographical exploration

#2 Post by christie1111 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:23 am

earendel wrote:Last night a friend and I were talking, and during the conversation she said something like, "My daughter called and while she was telling me something she started tuning up on me." I had no idea what that expression meant, so I asked, and she told me. It was an expression I'd never heard before, but later, when I asked elwing about it, she said she knew what it meant. I wondered if it was something she had learned since we came to Kentucky or if she had always known it (we grew up in Oklahoma, within a mile of each other). She didn't know the answer. That got me to wondering:

1. What is the derivation of the expression?
2. Is it a regional expression and if so, what region?

BTW, "tuning up" means to start crying.

So help me out here - have you heard this term? Was it something you grew up with, and if so, where did you grow up? I'm trying to track this down.
Never heard of it. Tearing up, yes, tuning up, no.

I will ask my 16 yo daughter1111 if she ever heard of it after school.

I've lived mostly in Newport, RI; Kauai, Hawaii; Stratford, CT
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:41 am

christie1111 wrote:Never heard of it. Tearing up, yes, tuning up, no.

I've heard "tearing up" also and my first thought was that "tuning" was a mispronunciation of "tearing", but it would take a fair amount of linguistic torture to make that change.

VAdame

#4 Post by VAdame » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:55 am

It's a Southernism:

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles ... rnese.html

I'm not 100% sure of the origin, but here's my guess: Imagine the squawking, squealing sound of someone "tuning up" a guitar or a fiddle :wink:

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:24 am

VAdame wrote:It's a Southernism:

I'm not 100% sure of the origin, but here's my guess: Imagine the squawking, squealing sound of someone "tuning up" a guitar or a fiddle :wink:
Thanks, VADame - I figured it was probably "suthren" (meaning that elwing learned it after we moved to Kentucky) and this Web site confirms it.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:29 am

earendel wrote:
I never heard the phrase. I grew up in Southern California.

I never heard the phrase kitty corner either.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#7 Post by kayrharris » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:36 am

Well, I grew up in Louisville and guess what? I knew right away what "tuning up" meant. :D
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

wintergreen48

#8 Post by wintergreen48 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:06 am

But the suthrenese dictionary is wrong: it describes 'yall' as the plural of 'you,' but actually, 'yall' is the singular of you. The dictionary was no doubt written by some damyankees.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:33 am

wintergreen48 wrote:
But the suthrenese dictionary is wrong: it describes 'yall' as the plural of 'you,' but actually, 'yall' is the singular of you. The dictionary was no doubt written by some damyankees.
I must disagree, wintergreen. In these here parts, I do hear a clear grammatical differentiation for the use of y'all. On occasion, some speakers may use "y'all" in the singular, but Suthreners (or Okies, whatever they are) are so darn polite that they would never correct the grammar (or whatever it is) of the less edjumacated ones.

There is an exception. Sometimes, of course, "y'all" might be used in the singular for emphasis, to convey the meaning that the message is intended for the listener, all of his or her brain voices and alternate schizophrenic personalities, and all buns currently in the oven, as well as future offspring yet to be conceived.

Jeemie

#10 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:33 am

wintergreen48 wrote:

The plural is "all y'all", correct?
1979 City of Champions 2009

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#11 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:41 am

Jeemie wrote:
That would be the way to provide emphasis in the plural form, without necessarily providing implications of mental illness and unchecked breeding.

:mrgreen:

VAdame

#12 Post by VAdame » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:09 am

silvercamaro wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
That would be the way to provide emphasis in the plural form, without necessarily providing implications of mental illness and unchecked breeding.

I always thought the plural of "you" was "YINZ!"

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#13 Post by kayrharris » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:06 pm

Are ya'll making fun of me? I'm just askin'......

:?
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Appa23

#14 Post by Appa23 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:08 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
earendel wrote:
I never heard the phrase. I grew up in Southern California.

I never heard the phrase kitty corner either.
Let it go.

TheConfessor

#15 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:20 pm

I also grew up in Louisville and I've never heard the term "tuning up" used with any lachrymose connotations. It was always a musical or automotive term.

Of course, I'd never seen stuff like "suthren" and "dint" until I started reading this board. I don't get why some intelligent people prefer to appear otherwise.

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Never heard of it. I've lived in, let's see...

North Dakota
Alaska
So.Cal
Wyoming
Montana
Atlanta
Philippines

Maybe I just don't listen. Ya'll.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#17 Post by Rexer25 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:36 pm

TheConfessor wrote:I also grew up in Louisville and I've never heard the term "tuning up" used with any lachrymose connotations. It was always a musical or automotive term.

Of course, I'd never seen stuff like "suthren" and "dint" until I started reading this board. I don't get why some intelligent people prefer to appear otherwise.
Prolly cuz we's lazy, dint ya know?

Later.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Jeemie

#18 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:43 pm

VAdame wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I always thought the plural of "you" was "YINZ!"
Yinz is singular AND plural.

Although you can also say "Yinz guys" as in "Are yinz guys all goin' dahntahn after the Stillers game?"

Jeemie

#19 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:44 pm

TheConfessor wrote:I also grew up in Louisville and I've never heard the term "tuning up" used with any lachrymose connotations. It was always a musical or automotive term.

For the same reason people try and appear overly-intelligent by using words like "lachrymose"?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mrkelley23

#20 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Yinz is interesting, because it seems to be less of a suthren thing, and more of a scattered regional thing. They say "Yunz" in southern Illinois, which is just west of me, but you never hear anyone in my town say it. We say "y'all." I KNOW from places other than this Bored that Yinz is also a Pittsburgh expression, and it most likely includes much of Pennsylvania, as well.

All points south of Evansville that I am familiar with use "y'all." It's also worth pointing out that Louisville is several miles NORTH of Evansville, even though Kentucky is often considered a more southern state than Indiana.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

ne1410s

#21 Post by ne1410s » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:01 pm

For the same reason people try and appear overly-intelligent by using words like "lachrymose"?

This is just too funny... :lol:
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

TheConfessor

#22 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Jeemie wrote:For the same reason people try and appear overly-intelligent by using words like "lachrymose"?
Define "overly-intelligent." I didn't know there was such a thing. I certainly aspire to be a lot smarter in the future than I am today, which isn't all that smart. Is there an acceptably dumb word that I should have used to refer to tears on this board? If so, I guess I'm not smart enough to think of it. If we're not supposed to use the words we learned in school, why did we attend in the first place? My vocabulary is probably only average for this board, and I definitely wasn't trying to put on airs, since I think I learned "lachrymose" somewhere around the fourth grade. I was just trying to use the most apt word for Earendel's "lexicographical exploration." Sorry if you felt otherwise.

I also didn't get your logic. People try to look extra-smart for the same reason that they try to look extra-stupid? What reason is that?

Jeemie

#23 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:27 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
Jeemie wrote:For the same reason people try and appear overly-intelligent by using words like "lachrymose"?
Define "overly-intelligent." I didn't know there was such a thing. I certainly aspire to be a lot smarter in the future than I am today, which isn't all that smart. Is there an acceptably dumb word that I should have used to refer to tears on this board? If so, I guess I'm not smart enough to think of it. If we're not supposed to use the words we learned in school, why did we attend in the first place? My vocabulary is probably only average for this board, and I definitely wasn't trying to put on airs, since I think I learned "lachrymose" somewhere around the fourth grade. I was just trying to use the most apt word for Earendel's "lexicographical exploration." Sorry if you felt otherwise.

I also didn't get your logic. People try to look extra-smart for the same reason that they try to look extra-stupid? What reason is that?
Style, my man, style!

You obviously missed the smileys as well...

fantine33

#24 Post by fantine33 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:37 pm

earendel wrote:
christie1111 wrote:Never heard of it. Tearing up, yes, tuning up, no.

I've heard "tearing up" also and my first thought was that "tuning" was a mispronunciation of "tearing", but it would take a fair amount of linguistic torture to make that change.
Tuning up refers to getting prepared for your "performance". Like, 'oh crap, here we go. She's tuning up.' Like how little kids open their mouth like a guppy and take a huge breath in order to have plenty of oxygen to throw a screaming fit.

This answer is from my personal history (from my dad, he grew up in Rock Island, my grandma was from Peoria. I don't know which side of the family he got it from).

earendel

#25 Post by earendel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:41 pm

fantine33 wrote:Tuning up refers to getting prepared for your "performance". Like, 'oh crap, here we go. She's tuning up.' Like how little kids open their mouth like a guppy and take a huge breath in order to have plenty of oxygen to throw a screaming fit.

This answer is from my personal history (from my dad, he grew up in Rock Island, my grandma was from Peoria. I don't know which side of the family he got it from).
Makes sense - like an orchestra getting ready to play.