I am not making this up

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
nitrah55

I am not making this up

#1 Post by nitrah55 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:55 am

My first nominee for quote of the year: "He's outside."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/nyreg ... f=nyregion
I am about 25% sure of this.

MarleysGh0st

Re: I am not making this up

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:01 am

Their sidewalk procession had already attracted the stares of passers-by who were startled by the sight of the body flopping from side to side as the two men tried to prop it up, the police said. The late Mr. Cintron was dressed in a faded black T-shirt and blue-and-white sneakers. His pants were pulled up part of the way, and his midsection was covered by a jacket, the police said. While the two men were inside the check-cashing office, a small crowd had gathered around the chair. A detective, Travis Rapp, eating a late lunch at a nearby Empanada Mama saw the crowd and notified the Midtown North station house.
I thought New Yorkers never paid attention to anything unusual! :P

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:02 am

nitrah55 wrote:My first nominee for quote of the year: "He's outside."

I wonder if they ever watched "Weekend at Bernie's"?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ladysoleil

#4 Post by ladysoleil » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:34 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
A detective, Travis Rapp, eating a late lunch at a nearby Empanada Mama saw the crowd and notified the Midtown North station house.
I did. I was surprised that Detective Rapp actually got a table for lunch at Empanada Mama. It's *really* tiny. Then I saw that it was a "late" lunch and it made sense. ;)

wintergreen48

#5 Post by wintergreen48 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:59 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Their sidewalk procession had already attracted the stares of passers-by who were startled by the sight of the body flopping from side to side as the two men tried to prop it up, the police said. The late Mr. Cintron was dressed in a faded black T-shirt and blue-and-white sneakers. His pants were pulled up part of the way, and his midsection was covered by a jacket, the police said. While the two men were inside the check-cashing office, a small crowd had gathered around the chair. A detective, Travis Rapp, eating a late lunch at a nearby Empanada Mama saw the crowd and notified the Midtown North station house.

In New York, wheeling a dead guy around while you try to steal his money is probably not unusual...

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:32 pm

This quote from this week's Time magazine is a good one, too:
'We did the essay, and that's what we did to win ... We did whatever we could to win.'

PRISCILLA CEBALLOS, who in order to win Hannah Montana concert tickets helped her 6-year-old daughter compose a fake essay about the girl's father dying in Iraq. The tickets were revoked.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 74,00.html

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:43 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
'We did the essay, and that's what we did to win ... We did whatever we could to win.'

PRISCILLA CEBALLOS, who in order to win Hannah Montana concert tickets helped her 6-year-old daughter compose a fake essay about the girl's father dying in Iraq. The tickets were revoked.
I think that the girl still won a trip to NYC before they found out about the lie.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:45 pm

I posted that to Groxx.com yesterday, before the NYT got hold of it.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#9 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:04 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

I think that the girl still won a trip to NYC before they found out about the lie.
They found out about the lie before the trip, so the girl didn't go.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

KillerTomato

#10 Post by KillerTomato » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:56 pm

This is slightly politically incorrect (although clean), but absolutely true:

The guy who runs my pub trivia (Bob) was driving yesterday when he was stopped at a red light behind someone in a Kia. When the light turned green, Bob - slightly losing focus - inched forward in anticipation of the Kia moving...but the Kia didn't, so Bob bumped him a little (at about 2 mph...). No one was hurt, of course, but when the driver of the Kia got out, it turned out he was only about 3 1/2 feet tall.

The Kia owner walked up to Bob (who was now out of his car, all 6' 3'', 300 pounds of him) and said testily, "I'm not HAPPY!" and Bob's reply was...

really...

"So, which one are you, then?"

After the 5 minute tirade of the Kia owner, Bob figured he was probably Grumpy.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:53 pm

KillerTomato wrote:This is slightly politically incorrect (although clean), but absolutely true:

The guy who runs my pub trivia (Bob) was driving yesterday when he was stopped at a red light behind someone in a Kia. When the light turned green, Bob - slightly losing focus - inched forward in anticipation of the Kia moving...but the Kia didn't, so Bob bumped him a little (at about 2 mph...). No one was hurt, of course, but when the driver of the Kia got out, it turned out he was only about 3 1/2 feet tall.

The Kia owner walked up to Bob (who was now out of his car, all 6' 3'', 300 pounds of him) and said testily, "I'm not HAPPY!" and Bob's reply was...

really...

"So, which one are you, then?"

After the 5 minute tirade of the Kia owner, Bob figured he was probably Grumpy.
Rec! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson