Computer question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

Computer question

#1 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:38 pm

What's the best way to clear a hard drive of all information on a system that's about to be given away?

manufacturer - Packard Bell
operating system - WinDoh!s 95
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Bob Juch

Re: Computer question

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:26 pm

Rexer25 wrote:What's the best way to clear a hard drive of all information on a system that's about to be given away?

A very large degassing coil!

Just formatting it won't delete anything. You can buy a utility that will repeatedly overwrite everything with patterns of bits, but that's not even guaranteed to do the trick as the disk might have a built-in cache which will foul it up.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

Re: Computer question

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:41 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:What's the best way to clear a hard drive of all information on a system that's about to be given away?

A very large degassing coil!

Just formatting it won't delete anything. You can buy a utility that will repeatedly overwrite everything with patterns of bits, but that's not even guaranteed to do the trick as the disk might have a built-in cache which will foul it up.
Other than to point out the funny typo up there, Rexer, all I can do is pretty much back up what Bob has said. Especialy if you're going to leave the "Operating system" (sic) on there. You can format it, then defrag it, but anyone with much knowledge of data recovery will be able to go get most, if not all, of the info that was on there before.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

dimmzy

#4 Post by dimmzy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:02 am

You can format it, then defrag it, but anyone with much knowledge of data recovery will be able to go get most, if not all, of the info that was on there before.
Then why do I keep losing so many of my Word documents just seconds before I hit "save"? :wink:

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:31 am

dimmzy wrote:
You can format it, then defrag it, but anyone with much knowledge of data recovery will be able to go get most, if not all, of the info that was on there before.
Then why do I keep losing so many of my Word documents just seconds before I hit "save"? :wink:
Because it never made it to the hard drive. Turn on Autosave if you're serious.

Years ago I had a girlfriend who had spent most of her workday entering numbers into an Excel spreadsheet. When she went to save it, the system crashed. She was actually upset with me because I couldn't tell her how to recover it.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.