I just bought frozen meat off a truck in my driveway.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)

Mind all gone?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:03 pm

Yes, Mommy.
17%
No, Mommy.
50%
What mind?
33%

Total votes: 12

5LD

I just bought frozen meat off a truck in my driveway.

#1 Post by 5LD » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:03 pm

Am I crazy?!?

The New Yorker in me says I just lost my mind.......
The gal who didn't have to go to the grocery store thinks I got a pretty good deal if we don't die from some ick in the meat.....

What say you?

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

Re: I just bought frozen meat off a truck in my driveway.

#2 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:07 pm

5LD wrote:Am I crazy?!?

The gal who didn't have to go to the grocery store thinks I got a pretty good deal if we don't die from some ick in the meat.....

What say you?
Depends.

Was it the "I just got refused on a delivery, I can't take it back" line, or the "I found some extra in my truck after my deliveries, I'll sell it to you cheap" line?

Does it sound like a bargain because the driver said it was a bargain, or have you been to the grocery store in Columbus enough to remember what different cuts of meat go for?

It could be a legitimate good deal. Those companies will sell "extras" at a loss in hopes of getting your future business. I hope it turns out well for you.

I bet the meat is very safe. I would not have concerns about it.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

kusch

#3 Post by kusch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:10 pm

What say you?
If it was Schwans no problem, if it was this: http://cbs11tv.com/health/American.Fres ... 19409.html

big problem.

Put me in the I would not buy frozen meat from a door-to-door salesman category.

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:13 pm

I buy from Schwans, occasionally. It's not bad, but is considerably more expensive than Costco, where I buy most of my meat.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

5LD

#5 Post by 5LD » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:19 pm

Local company.
Restaurant supplier.
Beginning a door to door type delivery.
Steaks, Chicken and Seafood. Has a website. Had a large freezer in the back of a minivan with the company logo painted on the side.

10 8 oz. NYStrip Steaks
10 6 oz. Salmon Filets
10 Garden Herb marinated boneless chicken breasts

$100. (Normally valued at $155 according to his literature)

I think I am ok. Still it makes me nervous. Can't believe I did it.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:29 pm

Cook it twice as long at twice the recommended temperature.....you should be ok......and if nothing else you'll end a vegan.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:35 pm

5LD wrote:Local company.
Restaurant supplier.
Steaks, Chicken and Seafood. Has a website. Had a large freezer in the back of a minivan with the company logo painted on the side.

10 8 oz. NYStrip Steaks
10 6 oz. Salmon Filets

I have bought from a similar supplier in similar circumstances. They had Chicken Cordon Bleu and other stuffed chicien.

It was fun to try. But I only got the meat once. They still come to my door every few months and ask me if I want more.

Lately I have been buying more fresh food, which means that I go grocery shopping more often. My goal for the year was to minimize the plastic/paper bags I get from the store. Yesterday I went to Trader Joes, remembered my insulated bags, so I got no new bags.

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:35 pm

as long as said meat was not being peddled by a suspicious character with Stalin-esque hair, average-sized hands, you should be fine. He dint throw in a bottle of white Chianti, did he?

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

5LD

#9 Post by 5LD » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:06 pm

tgirl:

Why yes! He did have a large supply of white chianti.....

Said he "Knew some guys in Little Italy" and he gets great tables there.....but you have to go in the back way.....

White chianti is only for real foodies he said. WTF?!?

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:34 pm

5LD wrote:Local company.
Restaurant supplier.

10 8 oz. NYStrip Steaks
10 6 oz. Salmon Filets

You didn't say how much the chicken breasts weighs, but that's about $5.50 to $6.00 a pound for meat. It'd better be awfully good!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bixby17

#11 Post by Bixby17 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:11 am

What say you?
Sounds like a company we have here called Horizon. I sometimes get them--they sell the same stuff as Omaha Steaks but for less money.

I like having some of them in the freezer in case I can't run to the store one day.

They sell to a lot of the athletes who live in the area--guys looking for lean boneless chicken breasts that are ready to cook. Also buffalo meat that is also lean.

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:18 am

Why yes! He did have a large supply of white chianti.....

Said he "Knew some guys in Little Italy" and he gets great tables there.....but you have to go in the back way.....

White chianti is only for real foodies he said. WTF?!?

Ah, that explains why he offered no bacon for sale...

t.