Goose is in

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Goose is in

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:14 pm

Goose Gossage was elected to the Hall of Fame today. Jim Rice fell short again. Next year will be his last opportunity to get in through the regular process. Tim Raines was the only player in his first year of eligibility to remain on the ballot. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:24 pm

And next year, the great Rickey Henderson will be eligible for the first time. He should almost certainly get inducted on his first go-round.

I said at this time last year that both Gossage and Rice would finally get inducted in 2008. If Rice doesn't get in next year, something's very wrong.

fantine33

Re: Goose is in

#3 Post by fantine33 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:27 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Goose Gossage was elected to the Hall of Fame today. Jim Rice fell short again. Next year will be his last opportunity to get in through the regular process. Tim Raines was the only player in his first year of eligibility to remain on the ballot. --Bob
Oh, yay. It'll be wall to wall Gossage around here from now until...when is the ceremony?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:And next year, the great Rickey Henderson will be eligible for the first time. He should almost certainly get inducted on his first go-round.

I said at this time last year that both Gossage and Rice would finally get inducted in 2008. If Rice doesn't get in next year, something's very wrong.
I don't think so. By that I mean, Rice very well may make it in, but I don't think anything's wrong if he doesn't. His peak compared to his contemporaries wasn't that high (especially when you adjust for his home field), and his career (or at least its productive portion) was rather short for a potential Hall of Famer.

I think Rice belongs in the Hall of the Very, Very Good. The real travesty is that Blyleven's not in. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson