I washed Emma's cell phone

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

I washed Emma's cell phone

#1 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:44 pm

I washed Emma's cell phone :(

It was in the pocket of her bathrobe on the bathroom floor.

I took the phone apart to dry it. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

Re: I washed Emma's cell phone

#2 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:45 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I washed Emma's cell phone :(

Too late now...should have used Barf.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#3 Post by kayrharris » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:48 pm

I've been told to use a hair dryer to dry it out quickly. I got mine slightly wet a few weeks ago and took it apart and dried it, but the battery wouldn't charge. They sent me a new battery, and it still won't work. :oops: I now have a new phone I'm still trying to learn how to use. I've accidentally called my sister 7 times now. She now knows to ignore it if I don't leave a message. Payton (age 16) showed me how to lock the dumb thing so I won't do that anymore. You'd think the directions would be more clear on something like that.

Good luck!
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#4 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:49 pm

Seriously, if Emma's like Annie, just tell her about it, tell her you'll do what you can to make the new one like her old one, and wait for the shrug, the "OK" and the hug.

If Emma's like Molly, run to the nearest outlet where you can buy the exact same phone, put the old sim card in the new phone, charge it and pray to FSM that she'll never notice it. Or be prepare for a 10 minute crying spree because "you always look out for (insert other sister's name here)'s stuff, but you throw my stuff out.".
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:54 pm

Rexer25 wrote:Seriously, if Emma's like Annie, just tell her about it, tell her you'll do what you can to make the new one like her old one, and wait for the shrug, the "OK" and the hug.

If Emma's like Molly, run to the nearest outlet where you can buy the exact same phone, put the old sim card in the new phone, charge it and pray to FSM that she'll never notice it. Or be prepare for a 10 minute crying spree because "you always look out for (insert other sister's name here)'s stuff, but you throw my stuff out.".
We have Verizon, so I don't think that there are sim cards in the phones.
She will loose hundreds of pictures of cat butts if her information can't be saved.

I am going to tell her what I did when she gets home from school. (Of course she shouldn't leave her laundry on the bathroom floor, that's another issue.)

I ordered a new battery online. Hopefully that will fix it.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:57 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:Seriously, if Emma's like Annie, just tell her about it, tell her you'll do what you can to make the new one like her old one, and wait for the shrug, the "OK" and the hug.

We have Verizon, so I don't think that there are sim cards in the phones.
She will loose hundreds of pictures of cat butts if her information can't be saved.

I am going to tell her what I did when she gets home from school. (Of course she shouldn't leave her laundry on the bathroom floor, that's another issue.)

I ordered a new battery online. Hopefully that will fix it.
Good luck with that - I inadvertently went swimming with my cell phone and it was beyond rescue even though we did the hair dryer thing.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:03 pm

I've seen a couple of places online that suggest using silica gel or rice or putting the phone on the cable box to dry out.

christie1111
11:11

#8 Post by christie1111 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:08 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I've seen a couple of places online that suggest using silica gel or rice or putting the phone on the cable box to dry out.
I know you have kitty litter, it is quite hyrgoscopic.

Rice would take too long.

Don't get the litter in the cell phone or other parts of cat butts will be involved.

:lol:
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#9 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:12 pm

christie1111 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I've seen a couple of places online that suggest using silica gel or rice or putting the phone on the cable box to dry out.
I know you have kitty litter, it is quite hyrgoscopic.

Rice would take too long.

Don't get the litter in the cell phone or other parts of cat butts will be involved.

:lol:
I thought about using kitty litter, but I wasn't sure if it would work.

I have the phone in a baggie with some litter. Maybe it will do the trick.

fantine33

#10 Post by fantine33 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:15 pm

placentiasoccermom wrote:I am going to tell her what I did when she gets home from school. (Of course she shouldn't leave her laundry on the bathroom floor, that's another issue.)
I don't get this. It seems like you are both of the mind that you need to do something to make it up to them or move heaven and earth so they won't be mad (Rexer) or that you're at least the one at fault (PSM)?

When the cell phone is in a bathrobe on the floor, it's on them.

To me it's along the lines of "I'm so sorry that I didn't take time out from doing your laundry for you to stop and check every pocket of your nightwear and ended up putting the cell phone I paid for into the wash."

On the practical side, my cell phone fell out of my shirt pocket into the sink. I took apart all I could (battery out, cover off) and left it to air dry. After a couple days, it started working again. It isn't a fancy picture phone or anything though, so I don't know if the screen might have a permanent splotch or two on it.

There's something that turns colour in the components when it gets wet so they know what's happened and that voids the warranty.

marrymeflyfree

#11 Post by marrymeflyfree » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:06 pm

A friend of mine dropped his in a pool, and tried to take it back to T-Mobile as defective, hoping they would just comp him a new one.

Didn't work. There was some thingamabob inside that changed colors after immersion. He was busted.

ne1410s

#12 Post by ne1410s » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:55 pm

There's a decal, or somesuch, underneath the battery, that turns red when it gets wet. At least on LG phones.

I'm with fannie on this one: phone shoulda never been there.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

a1mamacat

#13 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:12 pm

Yes, I have one.

Emma, you left your cell phone in the wrong place and it got washed with your laundry.

You will need to save up and purchase a new one.

End of story.

Sorry, but I don't think you are doing her any favours by either covering for her mistake, or taking the blame for the problem. She made the mistake.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Appa23

#14 Post by Appa23 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:16 pm

a1mamacat wrote:

Yes, I have one.

Emma, you left your cell phone in the wrong place and it got washed with your laundry.

End of story.

Sorry, but I don't think you are doing her any favours by either covering for her mistake, or taking the blame for the problem. She made the mistake.
Yeah, Saucy!

I am trying to imagine why someone would have their cellphone in their bathrobe, but my daughter is not a teen yet, so she hasn't found the need to text someone while brushing her teeth or drying her hair.

Shade

#15 Post by Shade » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Water is murder for electronics, I remember I jumped into the pool with my favorite digital watch on, I let it dry for a week but it didn't do any good.

If it's one of those phones that come with the plan you could easily get a new one cheap.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#16 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Appa23 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote:

Yes, I have one.

End of story.

Yeah, Saucy!

I am trying to imagine why someone would have their cellphone in their bathrobe, but my daughter is not a teen yet, so she hasn't found the need to text someone while brushing her teeth or drying her hair.
Her sister couldn't find her cell phone. Emma was helping her by calling Maddie so that Maddie could hear the phone.

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Tell Emma if she doesn't like what happened she can wash her own clothes from now on.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#18 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:33 pm

Emma admits blame, it's not an issue at all.

a1mamacat

#19 Post by a1mamacat » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Appa23 wrote:
a1mamacat wrote: Yes, I have one.

End of story.

Yeah, Saucy!

Her sister couldn't find her cell phone. Emma was helping her by calling Maddie so that Maddie could hear the phone.

Hmm well that is a bit different, but still needs some effort on her part. Perhaps either split the cost of a new one, or have her work it off by doing the laundry for a week for the family. (Perhaps Maddie could help??? LOL)
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

MarleysGh0st

#20 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:29 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Emma admits blame, it's not an issue at all.
What a let-down to a long discussion! :P

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#21 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:31 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Emma admits blame, it's not an issue at all.
What a let-down to a long discussion! :P
Sorry, she is a good kid.

I tried to take some of the blame and she wouldn't let me. She knows that her cell phone is supposed to be in her backpack. As I tell the kids, the phones are for my convenience, not theirs.

eyégor
???????

#22 Post by eyégor » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:19 am

Daughter #3 washed a cell a few months back. She still hasn't come up with the green to buy the replacement she wants, and is now waiting for the incentive prices kick in, which is soon.

I graciously haven't made her pay the charges on the currently useless line.

Jeemie

#23 Post by Jeemie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:59 am

I don't know about washing machines, but I dropped my cell phone in the toilet (yes, I know, EWWW! It dropped in BEFORE I used the toilet, BTW), and after a day of drying out (just like what you did- opened it all up and let it air dry), it worked as good as new.

I haven't read through the entire thread yet- has the phone dried out, and have you tried it yet?
1979 City of Champions 2009

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#24 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:11 am

Jeemie wrote:I don't know about washing machines, but I dropped my cell phone in the toilet (yes, I know, EWWW! It dropped in BEFORE I used the toilet, BTW), and after a day of drying out (just like what you did- opened it all up and let it air dry), it worked as good as new.

I haven't read through the entire thread yet- has the phone dried out, and have you tried it yet?
The phone turns on when plugged into the charger, but I don't think that the battery is working because the phone won't charge. I ordered a battery online, hopefully, a new battery will solve the problem.

ladysoleil

#25 Post by ladysoleil » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:22 am

The phone turns on when plugged into the charger, but I don't think that the battery is working because the phone won't charge. I ordered a battery online, hopefully, a new battery will solve the problem.
Too late, but when you drop something electronic into water, don't turn it on or plug it in until it's completely dry. I was able to save my PlayStation when my roof leaked. I called Sony and they said put it in a warm, dry place for a week and *don't turn it on*. Apparently if there's any water left, it shorts out and kills the device.

Hopefully the battery will fix the problem, otherwise I'd try ebay. You can probably get a replacement pretty cheaply since people tend to dump their phones when they upgrade.