Today's WWTBAM (1/08/08)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheConfessor

Today's WWTBAM (1/08/08)

#1 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:14 pm

Today's show had...
Spoiler
Two separate contestants introduced, and they both completed their runs in the hot seat before the first commercial break!
That has to be a new record!

TheConfessor

#2 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:16 pm

And then...
Spoiler
another one gone before the second commercial break!
Wow!

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:21 pm

Whoa! :shock:

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:23 pm

Spoiler
All of that contributed to my eye rolling as well.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:28 pm

Spoiler
Notice all four were WEs?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

Re: Today's WWTBAM (1/08/08)

#6 Post by jarnon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:00 pm

Spoiler
It can happen to anybody. You think you know the answer, and you think you don't need a lifeline, but you're just plain wrong.

But three times in a row is uncanny.

Snaxx

#7 Post by Snaxx » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:13 pm

I've got transcribing duty today and . . .
Spoiler
This is the one time transcribing becomes a bit of a chore. One additional reason for me to root for Tuesday contestants to climb high in the stack is that it is a lot more fun to transcribe $50K, $100K, STQ, $250K than four sets of $100-1K questions.

ImageImageImageImageImage

January 8, 2008 high temperature in Central Park, NYC 64 degrees
January 8, 2008 high temperature in San Diego, CA (airport) 55 degrees

KillerTomato

#8 Post by KillerTomato » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:18 pm

TheConfessor wrote:Today's show had...
Spoiler
Two separate contestants introduced, and they both completed their runs in the hot seat before the first commercial break!
That has to be a new record!
Spoiler

Wait 'til the second or third week in February (unless they shuffle the games around for sweeps). One show will nearly make you sick to your stomach, unfortunately.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

MarkBarrett

#9 Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:52 pm

Spoiler
One benefit of having a parade of players: 29 questions

I subscribe to the USA Today, so I knew the contestant was dead in the water. It served him right though for going with the audience on a 35-30% split.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:59 pm

jarnon wrote:
Spoiler
It can happen to anybody. You think you know the answer, and you think you don't need a lifeline, but you're just plain wrong.

But three times in a row is uncanny.
I actually went back to make sure Mere was wearing the same clothes for the whole show.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#11 Post by ontellen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:18 pm

My son and I both felt that the Newspaper question was a total rip off. I get our local paper every day by monthly subscription and have no idea of the daily newstand rate.

I thought this should have been at least a $25,000. question and obviously by the audience response, they didn't have any idea either.

TheConfessor

#12 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:53 am

ontellen wrote:My son and I both felt that the Newspaper question was a total rip off. I get our local paper every day by monthly subscription and have no idea of the daily newstand rate.

I thought this should have been at least a $25,000. question and obviously by the audience response, they didn't have any idea either.
Isn't the price printed every day at the top of the front page? It seems valid to ask if you noticed the price.

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:56 am

TheConfessor wrote:
ontellen wrote:My son and I both felt that the Newspaper question was a total rip off. I get our local paper every day by monthly subscription and have no idea of the daily newstand rate.

Isn't the price printed every day at the top of the front page? It seems valid to ask if you noticed the price.
I must confess (no pun intended, Ed :lol: ) that I was amazed at watching the (figurative) carnage wrought by today's stacks of questions. As to the newspaper question, the masthead of the Courier-Journal indicates that it costs 50 cents, but if one buys a paper from one of the newspaper racks across the city, the cost is 75 cents (emblazoned across the front of the rack) - evidently because people were paying the 50 cents and taking two or three copies.

As to the USA Today, the only time I read it is if I'm traveling and the hotel has a complimentary copy (just as the contestant mentioned) and had I not know the cost would have been as confused as he - who reads the masthead after all?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

TheConfessor

#14 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:01 pm

earendel wrote:As to the USA Today, the only time I read it is if I'm traveling and the hotel has a complimentary copy (just as the contestant mentioned) and had I not know the cost would have been as confused as he - who reads the masthead after all?
Um, maybe people who are good at trivia? In Austin, the Sunday newspaper has an official price of $1.60, which is what I pay if I buy it at the 7-11, but if I buy it from the rack, it costs six quarters. I am aware of both prices. I've never heard of the C-J charging 75 cents for a 50 cent newspaper. Did they actually announce that this is their policy, to compensate for people stealing extra copies? Sounds like bad PR, and almost a tacit permission for people to grab extra copies.

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:27 pm

TheConfessor wrote:I've never heard of the C-J charging 75 cents for a 50 cent newspaper. Did they actually announce that this is their policy, to compensate for people stealing extra copies? Sounds like bad PR, and almost a tacit permission for people to grab extra copies.
No, that's my guess as to why they're doing it. If you buy it from a vendor (a convenience store, for example) it's still 50 cents. And some of the racks in town still charge only 50 cents. But many of the racks, particularly downtown, charge 75 cents. The masthead still reads "50 cents" however.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 pm

I recently discovered one can purchase the local Sunday paper (normally $1.75), for $1 at the Dollar Store.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire