Wedding plans

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
gsabc

Wedding plans

#1 Post by gsabc » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:50 am

BD's wedding date is set, or will be once we sign the revised contract the country club is sending. Minor revision from some confusion on both our parts, so no biggie. August 10th. Now for all the other minor stuff. Like the marriage license, the chaplain (military wedding), the florist, the food choices, the bar choices, the limo, et cetera, et cetera and so on.

I am considering starting up a blog about it - the process of planning a wedding mainly, but also, on the slower days, present and past tales about the happy couple and the other family members (two- and four-footed). I'll check to see if my ISP has an blogging site available, but if not, which ones do you folks find easy to use and maintain?
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#2 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:02 pm

I would read your blog.

I would love to hear what the experience is like for the father of the bride. Especially from the father of the bride who seems to be a real part of the planning process.

Bob Juch

Re: Wedding plans

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:07 pm

gsabc wrote:BD's wedding date is set, or will be once we sign the revised contract the country club is sending. Minor revision from some confusion on both our parts, so no biggie. August 10th. Now for all the other minor stuff. Like the marriage license, the chaplain (military wedding), the florist, the food choices, the bar choices, the limo, et cetera, et cetera and so on.

I am considering starting up a blog about it - the process of planning a wedding mainly, but also, on the slower days, present and past tales about the happy couple and the other family members (two- and four-footed). I'll check to see if my ISP has an blogging site available, but if not, which ones do you folks find easy to use and maintain?
I use Blogspot.com.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:18 pm

gsabc wrote:I am considering starting up a blog about it - the process of planning a wedding mainly, but also, on the slower days, present and past tales about the happy couple and the other family members (two- and four-footed). I'll check to see if my ISP has an blogging site available, but if not, which ones do you folks find easy to use and maintain?
What's wrong with right here? This is our blog.

Or are you planning to share with other family members and afraid that we'd scare them away? :wink:

marrymeflyfree

#5 Post by marrymeflyfree » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:47 pm

I'd read it! We are just starting to consider what we want in a wedding here...am totally lost between wanting something special but not uber-massive-consumerish-frilly either. The only place I had in mind is now out of the question, as they require you to rent out the whole place for weddings - at a minimum cost of $85,000 a night plus tax and an 18% surcharge. One could buy a decent small home for the same amount in same neighborhood! It is really interesting to read about what other families are doing.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#6 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:00 pm

If you need any advice about wedding photographers, feel free to send me a message.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

fuzzywuzzy

#7 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:12 pm

gsabc wrote:BD's wedding date is set, or will be once we sign the revised contract the country club is sending. Minor revision from some confusion on both our parts, so no biggie. August 10th. Now for all the other minor stuff. Like the marriage license, the chaplain (military wedding), the florist, the food choices, the bar choices, the limo, et cetera, et cetera and so on.

Why not here? There are alot of resources from all the BBs who post & lurk! 8)

Where is she considering to have the reception?

Hey, we are here to support you thru it all gsabc. I planned my wedding in 6 weeks in another state. However, if I had it to do all over...I would go some place exotic with a few close family members and have a fantastic party! 8) Oh, yeah!

That's my idea of a Wedding celebration...

fuzzy
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#8 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:37 pm

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Hey, we are here to support you thru it all gsabc. I planned my wedding in 6 weeks in another state. However, if I had it to do all over...I would go some place exotic with a few close family members and have a fantastic party! 8) Oh, yeah!

That's my idea of a Wedding celebration...

fuzzy
I would do the same.

We had about 140 at our wedding / reception, which was a brunch. We got married in an old Spanish house called "The Hacienda." http://www.the-hacienda.com/ The location was a all inclusive type of place, which was nice to planning purposes. Since Jeff and I paid for most of the wedding, it was very affordable.

What I didn't like was the drama of the Moms, mine and Jeff.

Jeff and I wanted a ceremony as short as possible with no mention of religion. Jeff also doesn't like dancing, so we had a string quartet. My monster-in-law told me that people were going to dance anyway, and I had to tell her that if they want to rock out to a string quarted doing Hava Nagila, then they should, but I was trying to be respectful of my husband's wishes. My mother had her own issues, she was upset that I had my Dad walk me down the aisle and she showed her displeasure by slapping me on my wedding day and wearing a white dress to my wedding.

I hope that I am not similarly bitchy to my girls. Actually, I plan on offering them money, then letting them do what they want. If they want my help, I will help them. If they don't want my help, then I will leave them alone.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:20 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: My mother had her own issues, she was upset that I had my Dad walk me down the aisle and she showed her displeasure by slapping me on my wedding day and wearing a white dress to my wedding.
Wow! If she was holding to the traditional symbology of wearing white, that must mean you were a virgin birth! :wink:

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:29 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: My mother had her own issues, she was upset that I had my Dad walk me down the aisle and she showed her displeasure by slapping me on my wedding day and wearing a white dress to my wedding.
Wow! If she was holding to the traditional symbology of wearing white, that must mean you were a virgin birth! :wink:
I can't ever imagine my parents having sex. :)

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:26 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
I can't ever imagine my parents having sex. :)
Here's the description of an extra birthday card I sent to BD last year (GW didn't know about it, but I couldn't resist it.):

Outside: Happy Proof-That-Your-Parents-Had-Sex Day!
Inside: Ewwwwww!

BD said she and her friends had that reaction BEFORE opening the card.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

fuzzywuzzy

#12 Post by fuzzywuzzy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:42 am

gsabc wrote:
Here's the description of an extra birthday card I sent to BD last year (GW didn't know about it, but I couldn't resist it.):

Outside: Happy Proof-That-Your-Parents-Had-Sex Day!
Inside: Ewwwwww!

BD said she and her friends had that reaction BEFORE opening the card.
Ah, yes... reminds me of the first episode that I saw of "Everybody Loves Raymond" when Marie finally admits to Ray & Debra that she likes sex, and that she and Frank have an active sex life! ROTFLMAO

One of my Dad's fave true stories.... is the following...

When my brother and I were youguns, we would bounce on my bed. It had the best spring action going! It would really cause you to bounce really high, and almost off the bed and onto the floor. So, when my Dad would hear us upstairs laughing and making the bed squeak, he would yell up to us, "No bouncing on the bed"

One afternoon, my brother and I were napping and so my parents decided to have a little afternoon delight... :roll: Well, the next thing they hear is a little voice, "No bouncing on the bed!" :)

fuzzy 8)
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
— Mark Twain

"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else."
- Judy Garland