Joe Gibbs resigns

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
traininvain

Joe Gibbs resigns

#1 Post by traininvain » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:27 am

Gibbs went 31-36, including 1-2 in the playoffs, after emerging from NFL retirement and his NASCAR career to sign a five-year, $27.5 million contract in 2004. He had always maintained that he intended to fulfill the contract, but the 67-year-old coach wavered from that stance Monday when asked if he would return for the final year of his deal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7648730?MSNHPHMA
Enjoy every sandwich

Greyhound Dude

#2 Post by Greyhound Dude » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:39 am

Ahh, who cares. The 'Skins were playing way over their heads and that emotional wave came crashing down on the Seattle coast.

Also, kind of strange he resigns just before the start of NASCAR season. Hmmmmm?????? Think he catches the redeye to Daytona to watch the boys (Stewart, Hamlin & Busch) testing?

trevor_macfee

#3 Post by trevor_macfee » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:46 am

Well, I am just sad. As a life-long Redskin fan, I am grateful for all Coach Joe has meant to the franchise - especially his 3 Super Bowl wins (with 3 different quarterbacks). When he returned 4 years ago, I joked that there was only one "second coming" I'd be more excited about.

I admit that there were times during Gibbs 2.0 that I wondered if the game hadn't passed him by, but the way his faith and his genuineness shepherded the team through the Sean Taylor tragedy this year showed that he was the right man in the right place. It wasn't just about the 4-game winning streak to get into the playoffs, it was the example - the mentoring - that he provided to 50-some young men.

I'll miss him.