top o' the mornin'®

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

top o' the mornin'®

#1 Post by earendel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:53 am

Another unseasonably warm day in store today, with rain and high winds in the forecast.

I found out yesterday that our office is hiring two new people and it's up to me to try and find computer workstations for them. Unfortunately we don't have any spare workstations any longer - since the new "more efficient organization" took effect all the spare equipment I used to squirrel away was taken and most of it declared excess and disposed of. I've tried to get in touch with our logistics people (they handle property disposal) to see if they have any additional units, but haven't heard back yet. What irks me is that the branch chiefs are acting as if it's my fault that we don't have computers for the newcomers - if they had bothered to tell me about it I could have kept a couple of workstations in reserve. So today I feel like a mushroom - kept in the dark and fed a lot of ****.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: top o' the mornin'®

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:12 am

earendel wrote:What irks me is that the branch chiefs are acting as if it's my fault that we don't have computers for the newcomers - if they had bothered to tell me about it I could have kept a couple of workstations in reserve. So today I feel like a mushroom - kept in the dark and fed a lot of ****.
Forward a copy of the relevant memos that document that it's the "highly efficient organization's" resposibility to supply those surplus computers.

earendel

Re: top o' the mornin'®

#3 Post by earendel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:38 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:What irks me is that the branch chiefs are acting as if it's my fault that we don't have computers for the newcomers - if they had bothered to tell me about it I could have kept a couple of workstations in reserve. So today I feel like a mushroom - kept in the dark and fed a lot of ****.
Forward a copy of the relevant memos that document that it's the "highly efficient organization's" resposibility to supply those surplus computers.
Unfortunately it isn't. When the MEO was gathering information, I was asked to provide a list of equipment that we currently had on hand, as well as future projections for equipment needs. At that time I was told that we would not be hiring anyone new - we would simply be filling vacancies that already existed or would soon exist as employees retired. What we're doing now is a "plus-up", where we are actually adding new people. Had I known that, I could have included them in the numbers and thus kept some equipment. But when my numbers were reported, the "plus-up" people weren't included. So the MEO decided that I needed only so many computers and took the rest. In the good old days, when things like this happened, we'd simply go out and buy a new computer or two.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."