Golden Globes awards show cancelled

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Golden Globes awards show cancelled

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:51 pm

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association has announced there will be no awards show this Sunday due to the WGA strike. Instead there will be a 6 PM news conference to be carried only by NBC.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:01 am

The writers have also come to an agreement with United Artists, which now mainly serves as Tom Cruise's production company. They are negotiating with independent production companies (like United and David Letterman) to increase the pressure on the major studios and to get some people back to work.

The next major line in the sand in these negotiations will be the Oscar telecast next month. This traditionally gets one of the highest TV ratings of the year, boring as it may be, but the damage to the studio prestige will be very high if the Oscars wind up being scrubbed because of this strike.

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:35 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The next major line in the sand in these negotiations will be the Oscar telecast next month. This traditionally gets one of the highest TV ratings of the year, boring as it may be, but the damage to the studio prestige will be very high if the Oscars wind up being scrubbed because of this strike.
Yeah, I was just about to say that the 2008 Oscars are now on deathwatch. Sounds to me like it's time for the studio suits to pull their heads out of their posteriors and get serious about dealing.