B4 Team-The List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bixby17

B4 Team-The List

#1 Post by Bixby17 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:56 am

Week 248. Ah, a new year.

So what things are you working on this week, or if you want to be a grander thinker, this new year?

Nice to be back. Things have got a little more sane around here now that the holidays are over. Next year, I start preparing for it earlier.

I've decided I need to be more thoughtful about my food choices and quantity. And eat at the house more often.

This week is likely going to be a little difficult because JJ is sick. Fever and headache. Went to the doc and she said it was a virus but not flue. We are playing lots of board games.

earendel

Re: B4 Team-The List

#2 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:15 am

Bixby17 wrote:Week 248. Ah, a new year.

So what things are you working on this week, or if you want to be a grander thinker, this new year?
Between holiday illnesses and elwing's superb baking, I didn't fare well during the past few weeks, and so I've tried to do better. I'll also do a better job of tracking my progress using the PCLT.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#3 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:16 am

Grand scheme planning--get bone density checked. They had the risk factors for osteoporosis in the paper, and they may as well have just printed my picture. (Okay, so I'm not a smoker or drinker, but the rest is me...)

Short-term is holiday food detox. I purged my countertops of the accumulated goodies. Unfortunately, my oldest son wanted an ice cream maker for Christmas, and we've been experimenting with recipes. Egg nog ice cream is Da Bomb. But a little bit goes a long way, and you can't just grab a handful of ice cream while you're wandering through the kitchen (okay, so you can, but...yick) so it's not as bad as the bite-sized food that is my Holiday Downfall. A nibble here and a nibble there is a killer.

ladysoleil

#4 Post by ladysoleil » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:56 am

Big picture stuff, I started taking Chantix a few days ago. The good news is it seems to work, because I am so incredibly bored with smoking now that I probably will be able to quit and stay that way. I've had a couple just to see if it was working, which is stupid, I guess, but it was so disgusting that it turned me off completely, so maybe it wasn't that stupid.

The bad news is that the side effects are not playing nicely. I'm going to try to ride it out as long as I can because I think the longer I can stick with it, the better the odds are, but it's not been fun. Hopefully it'll level out, but I'm barely getting any sleep and I'm doing a great zombie impersonation right now. (braiiins....)

christie1111
11:11

#5 Post by christie1111 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:02 am

Well, so far so good.

Used the elliptical yesterday and have a plan to fit it in tonight.

I am way out of shape though.

Water, excersize and food control is the 3 pronged approach.

But when I got on the scale yesterday, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! Must have been all the walking in FL.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:09 am

Welcome back, Ms Bixby!

New year has started off well for me, with more trips to the gym, a more motivated approach, and the decision to take the leap and use some of the Christmas money I got from my parents to book sessions with a personal trainer, to try to get better organized about my workouts.

Got to work on the late night snacking. Eating is all over the place for me right now, because of several factors, but the late night stuff is the kind of thing I really ought to be able to control, but haven't yet.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:21 am

Goal for the year: Get below and maintain the magic 200-pound mark.

To reach goal:
Try to squeeze in more activity, whether on the elliptical or elsewhere. One of my staff uses some break time to walk up to our top floor (5 floors, double flight of stairs between each), then walks the length of each floor then down one flight, back and forth. I may join her.
Reduce the snacking when in the kitchen, my biggest problem. Will try to go with drinking water to fill the stomach, or gum for the chewing action. If necessary, will apply duct tape to mouth. :)

Mercifully, the Christmas goodies are mostly gone. Now to replenish the stock of healthy goodies.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

mikehardware

#8 Post by mikehardware » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:30 am

I'm getting back into walking again, and starting to cut back on the eating. The holidays were tough - too much good food.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:49 am

ladysoleil wrote:Big picture stuff, I started taking Chantix a few days ago. The good news is it seems to work, because I am so incredibly bored with smoking now that I probably will be able to quit and stay that way. I've had a couple just to see if it was working, which is stupid, I guess, but it was so disgusting that it turned me off completely, so maybe it wasn't that stupid.

The bad news is that the side effects are not playing nicely. I'm going to try to ride it out as long as I can because I think the longer I can stick with it, the better the odds are, but it's not been fun. Hopefully it'll level out, but I'm barely getting any sleep and I'm doing a great zombie impersonation right now. (braiiins....)
Good for you! Now, about the Chantix: If they haven't started already, get ready for some vivid dreams. Some people have actual nightmares. Mine tended to be interesting, along the lines of facing some big problem and finding a solution, or getting visits from wonderful (and often long-dead) beings.

I miss those dreams.

Oh, and don't take that stuff on an empty stomach. You may have figured that out already.

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:21 am

This week will be about fitting in exercise as I will be away starting Wed. morning. Also, watch myself and make sure I eat regularly, so I don't binge once I actually have a chance to eat.

ladysoleil

#11 Post by ladysoleil » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:33 am

silvercamaro wrote:
Good for you! Now, about the Chantix: If they haven't started already, get ready for some vivid dreams. Some people have actual nightmares. Mine tended to be interesting, along the lines of facing some big problem and finding a solution, or getting visits from wonderful (and often long-dead) beings.

I miss those dreams.

Oh, and don't take that stuff on an empty stomach. You may have figured that out already.
Yeah, I got the actual nightmares. On Day 1, even. Lucky me. It's not too bad, just unsettling. Very unsettling.

I don't even particularly want to take the stuff on a full stomach, so I'd shudder to think what would happen otherwise. On the bright side, I'm not at all worried about weight gain, since the "wanting to hurl" part kicked in. Supposedly it should cut it out in a few days. I am hopeful. And I'm planning to go eat something completely terrible as some form of compensation. I've got a pot of chocolate fondue on the brain, currently...

:)

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:30 pm

Mom and I have walked every day for the past four or five, and are going today and tomorrow. I am taking metformin for my blood sugar being too high, and I feel pretty good except when I eat a lot of cookies like last night at work. Soon after that, I dozed off a little bit, sitting there at the computer.

My former boss gave me info on a mini-triathlon she wants to do in October, and she wants company. I said Mom and I would do it also. It's 250 yards swimming, 9 miles of biking, and some amount of running/walking that I can't remember.

So I will swim tonight.

Tomorrow I see a behavioral health provider about reframing my one big work problem. I am fine with tasks that are clearly right or wrong, but I struggle with them rewriting some of my headlines, because the evaluation of them is so subjective. I want help on that gray area.

I finished Temple Grandin's "Thinking in Pictures," in which she describes and explains a lot of stuff about autism and Asperger syndrome. I had two immediate family members diagnosed with it a couple of years ago, and while I might not have enough traits for a diagnosis, I have a few that I can work on reframing. That's why I don't qualify for a diagnosis; I can adapt and reframe stuff. My family members can't do that, as the wiring is just that way.

It was a good read, especially when I would see something and go, "Hey, I do that." Like last night at work, when they had three TVs going, on Clemens, the football game, and the Carolina basketball game, I couldn't concentrate on the story I was working. I can't sort out multiple audio cues like that, which is a usual trait for AS. I finally just got up and went to the A section area and talked to them for a while. So if I can keep looking for ways around stuff, it will be fine.
Last edited by Ritterskoop on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#13 Post by kayrharris » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:42 pm

Ack! I haven't posted Presidental points in forever!!

The fall I took at the Auburn/Alabama football game Thanksgiving weekend injured my right knee. I kept thinking it would get better. It is now swollen worse than ever. It hasn't affected my mobility at all, but I can't cross my leg, touch it or have anything else touch up against it without sending me into orbit.

I made an appointment with my orthopedic doctor for Friday. I guess 6 weeks is long enough to give something to get better on its own.
Between my knee and losing my toenail, I'm in terrific shape. :oops:
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin