Substitute transcriptionist needed Thursdays

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Substitute transcriptionist needed Thursdays

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:54 am

We do have new shows airing again this week, right?

I'll need a substitute transcriptionist for this Thursday, when I'm going down to NJ, and next Thursday, too. And then we'll have to see what happens.

earendel

Re: Substitute transcriptionist needed Thursdays

#2 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:19 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:We do have new shows airing again this week, right?

I'll need a substitute transcriptionist for this Thursday, when I'm going down to NJ, and next Thursday, too. And then we'll have to see what happens.
I'm still looking for someone to take Wednesdays since I'm doing Fridays. And what does "we'll have to see what happens" mean?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:32 am

earendel wrote:And what does "we'll have to see what happens" mean?
Did you see my contribution to the Bored's run of bad news, Christmas week?

MarleysDad has liver cancer. He's having surgery on Friday and I'm guessing he'll be in the hospital a week. Then we'll have to see how quickly he recovers at home (and if the tumor is isolated or if chemo/radiation may be necessary).

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:38 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:And what does "we'll have to see what happens" mean?
Did you see my contribution to the Bored's run of bad news, Christmas week?
No, I didn't.
MarleysGh0st wrote:MarleysDad has liver cancer. He's having surgery on Friday and I'm guessing he'll be in the hospital a week. Then we'll have to see how quickly he recovers at home (and if the tumor is isolated or if chemo/radiation may be necessary).
I'm so sorry to hear that. I'd take the Thursdays that you need, but it's hard enough to do two days a week, much less three.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:43 am

earendel wrote:I'm so sorry to hear that. I'd take the Thursdays that you need, but it's hard enough to do two days a week, much less three.
Thanks, ear.

You're already doing more than your share. We should keep the reminders going.

So, we need a substitute for the next two Thursdays and we still need a permanent replacement for Wednesdays. Any volunteers?

Ritterskoop

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:36 pm

I will do the next two Thursdays, after I get home from work. I'm sorry I can't help much on the W-F problem, but I get home so late, it's a hardship for roomie, who does the heavy lifting of dealing with the tape while I type.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks, Skoop!

gsabc

#8 Post by gsabc » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:51 pm

Much as I would like the excuse to tape and watch the shows again, GW would kill me if I took on something like this right now. Wedding plans have begun in earnest. Even Boston auditions may have to take second place anytime before mid-August. :shock:
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:55 pm

gsabc wrote:Much as I would like the excuse to tape and watch the shows again, GW would kill me if I took on something like this right now. Wedding plans have begun in earnest. Even Boston auditions may have to take second place anytime before mid-August. :shock:
Wedding plans for BD? Since when has the father of the bride been kept busy with wedding plans?

As if you care about coordinating the invitations with the flowers with the bridesmaid dresses with the cake with the table centerpieces...

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#10 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:59 pm

gsabc wrote:
Wedding plans have begun in earnest. Even Boston auditions may have to take second place anytime before mid-August. :shock:
If auditions are announced in Boston, you should insist upon going. After all, how the heck are you supposed to pay for this wedding otherwise?

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:01 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
gsabc wrote:
Wedding plans have begun in earnest. Even Boston auditions may have to take second place anytime before mid-August. :shock:
If auditions are announced in Boston, you should insist upon going. After all, how the heck are you supposed to pay for this wedding otherwise?
That's right! Weddings are such a reliable audition hook, it just might work once for the father of the bride instead of for the young couple.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#12 Post by kayrharris » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:18 pm

I'm having pangs of guilt here. I'm off on Wednesdays and I do have a DVR. The show comes on here at 8AM central time. You'd just have to guide me as to what time you want it posted.

I'm just not sure if I could do a very good job with transcribing, but I can try. If I screw it up royally, I suppose ya'll can fire me.

Maybe someone can email me tips on the best way to do it without pulling my hair out the first few trys. :D
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:32 pm

kayrharris wrote:I'm having pangs of guilt here. I'm off on Wednesdays and I do have a DVR. The show comes on here at 8AM central time. You'd just have to guide me as to what time you want it posted.

I'm just not sure if I could do a very good job with transcribing, but I can try. If I screw it up royally, I suppose ya'll can fire me.

Maybe someone can email me tips on the best way to do it without pulling my hair out the first few trys. :D
Oooooh, sounds like a volunteer for Wednesdays!

First, as for when to post the transcripts, most of us do it in the evening, but if you get done earlier and don't want to wait, that's not a problem. Anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled can just avoid opening the thread.

Do you have your computer in the same room as your TV & DVR? I find it's easiest to write the transcript into a text file first, then to copy and paste from that when posting the transcript messages. (Some people have had timeout problems on the Bored, if they try typing it all in directly to a post.)

I have a file I use as a template for the transcripts, which I can e-mail to you when I get home. Copying the Q&A is easy, using the pause button on your DVR. Deciding what to enter for the banter is harder--do you enter verbatim dialog, paraphrase it or skip it entirely?--but transcriptionists also have full discretion when it comes to those decisions.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#14 Post by kayrharris » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:35 pm

I think you have my email address. I will await your advice and see what I can do to help you out. Add in any pointers you think I'll need.
It won't hurt my feelings at all.

I do have a laptop, so having the computer in the same room is not a problem.
Benjamin Franklin

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:39 pm

Excellent!

Yes, I do have your address. I'll e-mail that file (and the password for the shared account) this evening.

Can you start this Wednesday? I'm sure ear will be glad to be relieved of his double duty.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#16 Post by kayrharris » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:43 pm

Yes, I will start this Wednesday.
Benjamin Franklin

gsabc

#17 Post by gsabc » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:44 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Wedding plans for BD? Since when has the father of the bride been kept busy with wedding plans?

As if you care about coordinating the invitations with the flowers with the bridesmaid dresses with the cake with the table centerpieces...
As usual, Dad gets the technical crap. Arranging for hotel rooms, transportation, sign language interpreter, general logistics ... you get the idea. My main task, though, will be to keep GW calm throughout, and to keep BD calm as the date finally nears. Living with these two women for the next eight months will be ... interesting. And I already played the "pay for the wedding" card, adding in the part about Chris being a soldier. Didn't help.

As far as I'm concerned, just stuff me into a tux, show me where to sign and tell me how much.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

earendel

#18 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:53 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Excellent!

Yes, I do have your address. I'll e-mail that file (and the password for the shared account) this evening.

Can you start this Wednesday? I'm sure ear will be glad to be relieved of his double duty.
HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!

earendel

#19 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:54 pm

kayrharris wrote:Yes, I will start this Wednesday.
And again I say, HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!

christie1111
11:11

#20 Post by christie1111 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:59 pm

gsabc wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:Wedding plans for BD? Since when has the father of the bride been kept busy with wedding plans?

As usual, Dad gets the technical crap. Arranging for hotel rooms, transportation, sign language interpreter, general logistics ... you get the idea. My main task, though, will be to keep GW calm throughout, and to keep BD calm as the date finally nears. Living with these two women for the next eight months will be ... interesting. And I already played the "pay for the wedding" card, adding in the part about Chris being a soldier. Didn't help.

As far as I'm concerned, just stuff me into a tux, show me where to sign and tell me how much.
I am listening to 'A Spot of Bother' where there is a wedding happening while the father has a nervous breakdown. Maybe not the best book for you at this time!

:lol:
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

MarleysGh0st

#21 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:20 am

Did you get my e-mail last night, Kay? The attachment get through okay?

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#22 Post by kayrharris » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:28 am

Yes, I did. Thank you. It will be very helpful. Maybe I won't screw it up royally.
Benjamin Franklin