More Random Observations (non-political)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
PlacentiaSoccerMom

#51 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:51 pm

Rexer25 wrote:The commercial I'd most like to ban is

ANYTHING THAT MENTIONS HANNAH MONTANA, HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 1 2 3 6 9 10 34 ETC, OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH RADIO DISNEY, THE DISNEY CHANNEL.

eh-hum. Sorry. I needed to get that off my chest.

Does anyone realize how defeating it is to listen to the end of a brilliant, beautifully balanced, news report on NPR, and then switch to Radio *&^&*^& Disney to keep the little ones placid? It wouldn't be so bad if they more than 3 artists whose songs they play.

I may start a new station, Radio Fingernails On a Chalkboard, because any parent who has listened to more than 15 minutes of Radio *&^&*^& Disney would consider it a much more soothing, pleasing program.
Did you hear the latest Miley scandal? Miley apparently uses a lip-syncing body double in her show?

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#52 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:54 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote: Did you hear the latest Miley scandal? Miley apparently uses a lip-syncing body double in her show?
Well, that should take Britney off of CNN.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

moonie

#53 Post by moonie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:31 pm

just saw the video of Miley Cyrus on YouTube. Looks verrrry suspicious to me. Now I dont know whether I should show my 10 year old or not

May break her lil' heart!
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lurk i go!

TheConfessor

#54 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:40 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Did you hear the latest Miley scandal? Miley apparently uses a lip-syncing body double in her show?
I've heard that the guys in the Blue Man Group aren't really blue. And they somehow appear in more than one place at the same time.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#55 Post by Rexer25 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:43 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Did you hear the latest Miley scandal? Miley apparently uses a lip-syncing body double in her show?
I've heard that the guys in the Blue Man Group aren't really blue. And they somehow appear in more than one place at the same time.
You remember the '60's group The Birds? I heard none of them can fly.
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

earendel

#56 Post by earendel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:59 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
You remember the '60's group The Birds? I heard none of them can fly.
And I'm pretty sure that none of the singers in The Turtles had a hard shell or were reptilian.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#57 Post by etaoin22 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:59 pm

TiV wrote:

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Train train, comin round, round the bend
Train train, comin round the bend
Well it took my baby, but it never will again (no, not again)

Train train, comin down, down the line
Train train, comin down the line
Well its bringin my baby, cause shes mine all, all mine
(shes mine, all, all mine)

While we are on these lyrics, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELVIS. He'd be 73. OR maybe he is.

wintergreen48

#58 Post by wintergreen48 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:14 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
Did you hear the latest Miley scandal? Miley apparently uses a lip-syncing body double in her show?
The local fishwrap's music reviewer reviewed Miley's concert (in DC), and commented that when Miley was talking, between songs, her voice was a lot different from her voice during the songs (she apparently has a cold, and her speaking voice is hoarse, but the singing voice-- whoever the actual singer is-- is not).

wintergreen48

#59 Post by wintergreen48 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:19 pm

OK, here's another obnoxious commercial, not so much because of the commercial but the product, and the, um, obviously challenged people who buy it.

There is something out there called 'International Star Registry,' and the have big radio pitches urging you to give the gift of a star to someone-- you pay 'International Star Registry' a fee and they will name a star after the person you 'buy' this for, and the name will be entered in a 'book' that will be registered with the US Copyright Office, and the beneficiary will get a copy of something or other showing them where 'their' star is located.

The thing is, 'International Star Registry' has absolutely no official standing to do anything-- they have no more authority to 'name' stars than you or I do So that even if you have some desire to have your name perpetuated on something as a memorial to you (or as a memorial to someone else), 'International Star Registry' assigning your name to a star has absolutely no effect or meaning-- you're just paying these people for absolutely nothing. And yet, I have heard these commercials for years, so there must be some, um, seriously challenged people out there who are buying this. And I bet some of these people vote, which is scary...

MarleysGh0st

#60 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:59 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:OK, here's another obnoxious commercial, not so much because of the commercial but the product, and the, um, obviously challenged people who buy it.

There is something out there called 'International Star Registry,' and the have big radio pitches urging you to give the gift of a star to someone-- you pay 'International Star Registry' a fee and they will name a star after the person you 'buy' this for, and the name will be entered in a 'book' that will be registered with the US Copyright Office, and the beneficiary will get a copy of something or other showing them where 'their' star is located.

The thing is, 'International Star Registry' has absolutely no official standing to do anything-- they have no more authority to 'name' stars than you or I do So that even if you have some desire to have your name perpetuated on something as a memorial to you (or as a memorial to someone else), 'International Star Registry' assigning your name to a star has absolutely no effect or meaning-- you're just paying these people for absolutely nothing. And yet, I have heard these commercials for years, so there must be some, um, seriously challenged people out there who are buying this. And I bet some of these people vote, which is scary...
Are they still in business? I don't recall hearing commercials for their scam this Christmas.

BTW, your new avatar with the youngsters is adorable, wintergreen! The two older ones are in college now, while the "baby" is in high school, right? :)

jarnon

#61 Post by jarnon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Are they still in business? I don't recall hearing commercials for their scam this Christmas.
I heard their commercials recently. What a ripoff!

A local hospital is running a series of commercials that I can't stand. They all have the same format: "My [family member] had [symptoms], and went to [this hospital]. She found out she had cancer. That was two years ago. I wish she was with me today. But she's [off doing something else]." I think these ads would piss off anyone who's actually lost a relative to cancer.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#62 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:08 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:OK, here's another obnoxious commercial, not so much because of the commercial but the product, and the, um, obviously challenged people who buy it.

The International Star Registry never bothered me. I consider this as "a novelty gift," with a lovely certificate suitable for framing. I'd rather have a piece of paper that says a star bears my name than, say, a personalized keychain or a brick with my name in some campus wall. If somebody else wants to pay too much for that piece of paper (or brick) for me, that is their bidness, and I will be properly grateful without asking how much.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#63 Post by kayrharris » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:12 pm

OMG! How could I forget about the commercial that shows the girl putting a huge roach in her mouth. So disgusting! (I just saw it again).
I didn't watch Fear Factor for a reason, so why subject me to this when it makes me ill?

It is so revolting to me, I don't even know what the commercial is about....I'm thinking some kind of student loan.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Appa23

#64 Post by Appa23 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:12 pm

wintergreen48 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
The local fishwrap's music reviewer reviewed Miley's concert (in DC), and commented that when Miley was talking, between songs, her voice was a lot different from her voice during the songs (she apparently has a cold, and her speaking voice is hoarse, but the singing voice-- whoever the actual singer is-- is not).
Just in case that there are any young Hannah Montana fans who run across this Bored ( <LOL> ), there is no accusation that Miley Cyrus lip synchs or is not the actual singer of her songs.

Rather, at one concert, so that she could make the change from Hannah to Miley, there was a brief moment where a body double lip-synched to part of one of her songs.

TheConfessor

#65 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:47 am

Appa23 wrote:Just in case that there are any young Hannah Montana fans who run across this Bored ( <LOL> ), there is no accusation that Miley Cyrus lip synchs or is not the actual singer of her songs.

Rather, at one concert, so that she could make the change from Hannah to Miley, there was a brief moment where a body double lip-synched to part of one of her songs.
So the accusations are true, but it's just a matter of degree?