Getting on a Game Show!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Shade

Getting on a Game Show!

#1 Post by Shade » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:27 pm

The first time I ever hear of a new game show is on TV commercials, but by then they already have a full supply of contestants. Is there some type of newsletter you can subscribe to always be up to date about what new game shows are coming out and how to audition.

Also, is it completely unheard of for producers to hold an audition from a distance. I live in NY and it is not convenient in any way for me to get to "Los Angeles or the Southern California area" which is where A LOT of game shows tape (FF, DOND, 1vs100, GSN game shows,etc...). If not can, anyone recommend and airline that will fly me there for less than 50 dollars :P

Ritterskoop

Re: Getting on a Game Show!

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:34 pm

Shade wrote:The first time I ever hear of a new game show is on TV commercials, but by then they already have a full supply of contestants. Is there some type of newsletter you can subscribe to always be up to date about what new game shows are coming out and how to audition.

Also, is it completely unheard of for producers to hold an audition from a distance. I live in NY and it is not convenient in any way for me to get to "Los Angeles or the Southern California area" which is where A LOT of game shows tape (FF, DOND, 1vs100, GSN game shows,etc...). If not can, anyone recommend and airline that will fly me there for less than 50 dollars :P
craigslist

and there are some shows produced in NYC instead of LA; I believe the GSN shows are produced there, and primetime Password will be shot in NYC also

also, if you visit here fairly often, you'll see threads about such shows
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Catfish

#3 Post by Catfish » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:38 pm

Shade wrote:Also, is it completely unheard of for producers to hold an audition from a distance. I live in NY
The Crosswords folks took a field trip to Chicago to find 50 contestants. They paid for the flights and hotel rooms of the 50 who were chosen to go to LA. So, no, it's not completely unheard of. Jeopardy! also holds off-site auditions but does not pay for travel to LA. WWTBAM used to hold off-site auditions but paid for travel only in the early days.

Edited to fix a typo.
Catfish

Shade

#4 Post by Shade » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:43 pm

I would imagine that 1 vs. 100 would have trouble finding contestants and might let someone go on the show without meeting them personally. Because that would be nice, if I could send in an application and picture and then they tell me they want me on the show. As opposed to sending in an application and picture and then they tell me they want to interview me in person but I never get on the show so I waste a trip.

I hate how, I believe it is, Deal or No Deal that want you to send a short 3 minute video tape. I don't have a camera!

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:49 pm

Catfish wrote:
Shade wrote: Jeopardy! also holds off-site auditions but does not pay for travel to LA.
The good news is that if you get on the show, you earn $1000 or $200 even if you don't win, so that covers travel expenses for most folks.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:41 pm

Shade wrote:I would imagine that 1 vs. 100 would have trouble finding contestants and might let someone go on the show without meeting them personally. Because that would be nice, if I could send in an application and picture and then they tell me they want me on the show. As opposed to sending in an application and picture and then they tell me they want to interview me in person but I never get on the show so I waste a trip.

I hate how, I believe it is, Deal or No Deal that want you to send a short 3 minute video tape. I don't have a camera!
"1 vs. 100" had no trouble finding contestants!

They're done taping for the season anyway.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Catfish

#7 Post by Catfish » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:08 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Catfish wrote:
Shade wrote: Jeopardy! also holds off-site auditions but does not pay for travel to LA.
The good news is that if you get on the show, you earn $1000 or $200 even if you don't win, so that covers travel expenses for most folks.
Oh, yes! I almost forgot. Plus you get a cool tote bag, a nice glass picture frame, and a picture of you with Alex. Even if I had had to pay them $1000, it would have been worth it. The whole experience from audtition through taping and the aftermath was more fun than several vacations I've paid more than $1000 for.
Catfish

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:26 am

Catfish wrote:WWTBAM used to hold off-site auditions but paid for travel only in the early days.
WWTBAM still does travel, usually to about six audition sites per year. Of course, that's not a concern for Shade, who lives in NY.

WWTBAM used to have this process where contestants could selected without any audition or ever being prescreened by TPTB, live or on tape. They were unique in this experiment; since abandoning it, no other game show has shown any interest in repeating it.*

*Power of 10 had that online game from which one contestant was chosen, IIRC, but they never explained how they made that choice or what additional interviews were prerequisites.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:29 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Catfish wrote:WWTBAM used to hold off-site auditions but paid for travel only in the early days.
WWTBAM still does travel, usually to about six audition sites per year. Of course, that's not a concern for Shade, who lives in NY.

WWTBAM used to have this process where contestants could selected without any audition or ever being prescreened by TPTB, live or on tape. They were unique in this experiment; since abandoning it, no other game show has shown any interest in repeating it.*

*Power of 10 had that online game from which one contestant was chosen, IIRC, but they never explained how they made that choice or what additional interviews were prerequisites.
And let us not forget the online contest that BAM had to select a contestant.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:42 am

earendel wrote: And let us not forget the online contest that BAM had to select a contestant.
Ah, yes.

One contestant.

Will there ever be another, now that AOL is no longer sponsoring the IM ATA?

<sigh>

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:02 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote: And let us not forget the online contest that BAM had to select a contestant.
Ah, yes.

One contestant.

<sigh>
I doubt it. I probably convinced TPTB that was a bad idea.

That was two years ago this Saturday.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:17 am

Bob Juch wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Ah, yes.

One contestant.

<sigh>
I doubt it. I probably convinced TPTB that was a bad idea.

That was two years ago this Saturday.
Two years ago?? How time flies!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:37 am

earendel wrote: Two years ago?? How time flies!
Yep. Remember that there was no WIAW last season or this one, probably because Play It! closed down in August '06. I bet the APs miss their January field trip to Florida.

<sigh>

nitrah55

#14 Post by nitrah55 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:38 am

Share, the advice given in this thread is worthwhile. Let me add something.

I live in the NY area too, and would never, ever travel more than a half-day's distance to audition for a show (went as far as Phildelphia for WW2BaM, and to Atlantic City for J!). The odds of getting into the pool, and getting on the show are not worth the cost of a round-trip ticket to LA.

Unless you plan to visit LA, you're better off waiting for shows that audition around NY.

But, if you do get on a show that tapes in LA, remember that the costs of getting to LA for the taping (not, I believe, the audition) would be tax-deductable against the value of whatever you win. The prizes are income, you have to pay taxes on that income, but you're allowed to deduct the costs of earning that income- and the cost of the ticket to LA is such a cost.

In my case, I flew to LA, came in second, won a trip to Las Vegas. The value of the Vegas trip was added to my income, but the cost of the trip to LA was deductible. It was basically a wash.

Warning: this was 14 years ago. Check with your tax advisor to see if the rules have changed.
I am about 25% sure of this.

MarleysGh0st

#15 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:47 am

nitrah55 wrote:Check with your tax advisor to see if the rules have changed.
I love when people throw in this disclaimer.

IIRC, Shade is a college student. I doubt if he has a tax advisor.

Or much in the way of taxes. :P

Kazoo65

RE getting on a game show!

#16 Post by Kazoo65 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:45 am

I've been trying to get on a game show for years. I'd really like to get on Jeopardy!. Ever since my local TV station had a J! audition way back in 1994, I've been unsuccessfully trying to get them to have another one.

Next week, J! will be opening registration for the annual on-line tests. They will have a list of cities that in-person auditions will be held in. Usually they go to places like Chicago (I've tested there 3 times), NYC (which is probably very hard to get a slot for, because of the competition), Washington DC, and other larger cities.

I think on-line tests are the way to go. I wrote BAM last year to try to get them to do one,, because it would give them more geographic diversity-which that show REALLY needs-and it would hopefully get them smarter players who won't use up all their lifelines by the $8K question. They did NOT write me back. I wonder why.

Signed-

frustrated game show fan in Michigan
I'm just a game show nerd.

Shade

#17 Post by Shade » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:54 pm

Thanks for all the advice people, I just can't accept that it is so impossible to get on a game show because of the number of active game shows there are.

1 vs. 100 (101 -202 contestants per episode)
Deal or No Deal (At most 5 contestants in an episode)
Who Wants to Be A Millionaire (At most 4 contestants in an episode)
Crosswords (5 Contestants per episode)
Temptation (3 Contestants per episode)
Power of 10 (4 contestants per episode)
Jeopardy (3 contestants per episode)
Wheel of Fortune (3 contestants per episode)
The Price is Right (I'll guess, 8 contestants per episode)
How Much is Enough (4 contestants per episode)
Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader (at most 4 contestants per episode)
Camouflage (3 Contestants per episode)
Without Prejudice (10 contestants per episode)
Cash Cab (I'll guess 3 contestants per episode)
Chain Reaction (6 contestants per episode)
Don't Forget the Lyrics (About 4 contestants at the most)
Family Feud (10 contestants per episode)
That's the Question (3 contestants per episode)

Total: 284 per episode

And that doesn't even count reality shows where you can win money. Unfortunately it's impossible for one person to audition for all of those and some of them people could never appear on (I could never go on Crosswords for example because I'm not good at them).

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#18 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:01 pm

Shade wrote:Thanks for all the advice people, I just can't accept that it is so impossible to get on a game show because of the number of active game shows there are.

1 vs. 100 (101 -202 contestants per episode)
Deal or No Deal (At most 5 contestants in an episode)
Who Wants to Be A Millionaire (At most 4 contestants in an episode)
Crosswords (5 Contestants per episode)
Temptation (3 Contestants per episode)
Power of 10 (4 contestants per episode)
Jeopardy (3 contestants per episode)
Wheel of Fortune (3 contestants per episode)
The Price is Right (I'll guess, 8 contestants per episode)
How Much is Enough (4 contestants per episode)
Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader (at most 4 contestants per episode)
Camouflage (3 Contestants per episode)
Without Prejudice (10 contestants per episode)
Cash Cab (I'll guess 3 contestants per episode)
Chain Reaction (6 contestants per episode)
Don't Forget the Lyrics (About 4 contestants at the most)
Family Feud (10 contestants per episode)
That's the Question (3 contestants per episode)

Total: 284 per episode

And that doesn't even count reality shows where you can win money. Unfortunately it's impossible for one person to audition for all of those and some of them people could never appear on (I could never go on Crosswords for example because I'm not good at them).
In my immediate family of four, three of us have been on game shows a total of five times between us. Emma, my sixth grader, was almost on a show, but is still trying.

You can't go in to an audition with an attitude of entitlement, like they are missing something if they don't pick you. You have to market yourself and treat the audition like a job interview. You have to be engaging, but not obnoxious. You have to want to be on the show, but not be desperate.

Shade

#19 Post by Shade » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:16 pm

Well, I've never had an interview with a producer yet. But I'll be sure to keep that in mind. So far Millionaire is the only game show that I've tried to get on but I did not pass the audition test. Due to geographical restriction I haven't tried any others, and also I know that some other game shows require you to sent in a video tape of yourself, but I do not have a video camera. A lot of other game shows I can't even find how to audition.

Maybe I need an agent :P

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#20 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:22 pm

Shade wrote:Well, I've never had an interview with a producer yet. But I'll be sure to keep that in mind. So far Millionaire is the only game show that I've tried to get on but I did not pass the audition test. Due to geographical restriction I haven't tried any others, and also I know that some other game shows require you to sent in a video tape of yourself, but I do not have a video camera. A lot of other game shows I can't even find how to audition.

Maybe I need an agent :P
You need to start studying so that you can pass the audition test.

Shade

#21 Post by Shade » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:25 pm

I study by watching many, many trivia game shows especially Millionaire! I also have a few books that I review sometimes. "The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy" an Almanac and I have a Map of both the World and the US hanging in my room.

At times like this I wish I knew a couple of TV executives who could pull some strings for me :P

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:43 pm

Shade wrote:I study by watching many, many trivia game shows especially Millionaire! I also have a few books that I review sometimes. "The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy" an Almanac and I have a Map of both the World and the US hanging in my room.
If you were any good, you'd not need to refer to the maps and books! :P

Shade

#23 Post by Shade » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:48 pm

Hey! I am good! :D

coiffure is fancy word for hair, Lunanda is the capital of Angola and Port au Prince is the capital of Haiti. Millard Filmore was the 13 President of the United States. Admire my big brain! :P

Bob Juch

#24 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:55 pm

Shade wrote:Hey! I am good! :D

coiffure is fancy word for hair, Lunanda is the capital of Angola and Port au Prince is the capital of Haiti. Millard Filmore was the 13 President of the United States. Admire my big brain! :P
That might get you $1000 on BAM. :P

Shade

#25 Post by Shade » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:05 pm

As Meredith would say, "The hard part is over, you have 1000 dollars, now you can just have fun" (she actually did say something like that, no one goes on Millionaire to get 1000 dollars they want to claw there way up to at least 25,000 dollars) I recently entered myself, my mother and my brother into a contest to win 1000 dollars, my brother won. 1000 Dollars is good money but it really isn't much.

Anywho, I know some good trivia I think I could get up that money ladder pretty far. I really don't know why I didn't pass the audition test the second time I took it, I was so sure I'd pass that time. I can't wait until more tickets become available.