Owwee...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

Owwee...

#1 Post by kayrharris » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:33 pm

A few months ago, I dropped a bottle of nail polish and it landed right on the big toe of my right foot. If I had been aiming for the toe, it never would have happened.

It's been looking weird for a while now, but I've kept it polished nice and red and tried to ignore it. Apparently it has grown out enough that the entire nail has decided to come off!

Problem is only the right side was completely off and I had to pull it off the rest of the way. It is now throbbing and stinging and looks like hell. I can put up with the pain, but the looks like hell part is really going to hurt me.

What about all my cute, opened toed shoes and those nice sandals I have ? I will not be able to wear them until this thing somehow goes away, and from the looks of it, that may be a while.

Sorry for whining, but this just totally sucks.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Juch

Re: Owwee...

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:36 pm

kayrharris wrote:A few months ago, I dropped a bottle of nail polish and it landed right on the big toe of my right foot. If I had been aiming for the toe, it never would have happened.

It's been looking weird for a while now, but I've kept it polished nice and red and tried to ignore it. Apparently it has grown out enough that the entire nail has decided to come off!

Problem is only the right side was completely off and I had to pull it off the rest of the way. It is now throbbing and stinging and looks like hell. I can put up with the pain, but the looks like hell part is really going to hurt me.

What about all my cute, opened toed shoes and those nice sandals I have ? I will not be able to wear them until this thing somehow goes away, and from the looks of it, that may be a while.

Sorry for whining, but this just totally sucks.
Yeah, ouch! I've done that a couple of times (no, not with nail polish :P).

Good thing it's winter.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#3 Post by kayrharris » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:46 pm

Are you feeling better, Bob? I think you mentioned you had been a bit under the weather the past week.

It's back up to the high 60's..low 70's here after temps in the teens just a couple of days ago. I guess I can hang up the winter coat again for a while.
Benjamin Franklin

VAdame

#4 Post by VAdame » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:01 am

OW!!! I did that once -- not with nail polish, by tripping over a baby-gate & banging it good. They do grow back but it takes a while. Fortunately mine also happened in winter -- I was using the baby-gate to try to confine a new kitten to the kitchen & basement, & I know we got that kitten in early December.

Of course, you know how well baby-gates work for kittens -- she took one look & leapt right over the thing :lol:

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:09 am

I wonder if you might not have to wear open-toed shoes anyway, so as not to put any pressure on the area. A big ole Band-Aid ought to do the trick for the visual problem. Or you can tell people to stop staring at your toe.

Sorry it hurts. Maybe ice will help with that? Put some in a Ziploc bag and lay it on your foot while you're sitting.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

DevilKitty100

#6 Post by DevilKitty100 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:37 am

Ritterskoop wrote:I wonder if you might not have to wear open-toed shoes anyway, so as not to put any pressure on the area. A big ole Band-Aid ought to do the trick for the visual problem. Or you can tell people to stop staring at your toe.

Sorry it hurts. Maybe ice will help with that? Put some in a Ziploc bag and lay it on your foot while you're sitting.
Get some of those soft rubber band thingies that little girls use for their pigtails and pony tails and make a comfortable toe ring with a small, colorful flower (or something) on top. You'll look positively creative and snappy.

And nobody better call you twinkle toes.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#7 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:41 am

Good ideas girls. DK is especially creative.

I haven't tried shoes yet, Skoop, so we'll see what happens tomorrow when i try to wear them. :oops:
Benjamin Franklin

peacock2121

#8 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:12 am

ouch

I have had the nail on my 'pointer' toe go black a few times. It fell off cleanly once and once the nail tech took it off without pain or bother.

Hope you heal fast.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Yowch. Ick. Pewy. Maybe Lee's velcro-on toenails? Hope the pain goes away fast. Why do these things happen?
Well, then

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#10 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:13 pm

I had a black toenail once, from stubbing my toe, but it never fell off.

I hope it doesn't hurt too much. I personally, would just let it grow out without putting any polish on it. The toe probably needs to breathe.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#11 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:04 pm

This one never turned dark. It started getting a "bump" as it was growing out, I suppose. Then yesterday I realized it had started coming off and I had to finish it myself. I can't polish it now as there is only about 1/3 of the nail there, the rest is just skin!

So I won't be polishing it red anytime soon. :oops: I have a band aid on it now. At least that hides the ugliness. The throbbing has stopped and the shoe I wore today dint hurt it, so maybe the worst is over with the exception of "looking like hell".
Benjamin Franklin

VAdame

#12 Post by VAdame » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:52 pm

This one never turned dark. It started getting a "bump" as it was growing out, I suppose. Then yesterday I realized it had started coming off and I had to finish it myself. I can't polish it now as there is only about 1/3 of the nail there, the rest is just skin!
Ugh, that's what mine did. The bump & the old nail coming loose & falling off (with a little help from me when it was hanging by a thread!) But they do eventually grow back. The 1/3 of a nail sounds like the new one growing in -- it would have pushed off the old, damaged nail. Like permanent teeth pushing out the baby teeth! It's a slow process though, & I sympathize.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#13 Post by hermillion » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:58 pm

Kay, we're sisters in footpain shoe deprivation! On Wednesday I swung too wide while hurrying out of a room to catch a ringing phone, and broke the two smaller toes on my right foot. I'm wrapped and taped, and have to wear the ugly boot in order to get around without bending my toes. This will probably last for the next three weeks. The orthopedic doc says it might be as long as six weeks (!!!) before I can wear heels.

We should BOTH be back in cute shoes in time to attend SC's Gridiron performance.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#14 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Ouch! I know how that hurts. I'm so sorry.

If it's as cold and miserable in OKC as it has been the past 2 years, open toed shoes will not be an option. I would like to be able to wear stylish shoes anyway.

Good healing vibes from me to you. :D
Benjamin Franklin

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#15 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:20 pm

kayrharris wrote:
If it's as cold and miserable in OKC as it has been the past 2 years, open toed shoes will not be an option.
I am hopeful that we had our annual Febuary ice storm in December and got it over with.

May all of your collective toesies feel better fast.

hermillion
Bored Millionaire

#16 Post by hermillion » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:25 pm

I am hopeful that we had our annual Febuary ice storm in December and got it over with.
From your lips to God's ears!

On a related note, it was a beautiful weekend for tree trimming and limb stacking.
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant a tree; if in terms of a hundred years, teach the people." - Confucious

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." -- John Cotton Dana

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#17 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:58 pm

hermillion wrote:
From your lips to God's ears!
Okay, but if He's listening to me only part of the time, I'd rather He focused on the words I've said about Annie.
On a related note, it was a beautiful weekend for tree trimming and limb stacking.

I'm with you on this. Getting all the branches cleared away has made my back yard look so much bigger that now I want to start planning flower beds.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#18 Post by kayrharris » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:06 pm

Maybe you can reserve a handicapped section for us. If Beebs joins us, we'll all have wounds to moan about. :shock:
Benjamin Franklin