Tim Riggins

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheConfessor

#26 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:50 pm

I caught the second half of tonight's FNL episode (after checking out "How Much Is Enough" on GSN) and saw some very familiar local sights.

The small cafe where the coach's wife sat and talked with her sister, who said she's moving to Dallas, is Texas French Bread, at the corner of Annie and South Congress. (Sorry, I don't know the characters' names.)
http://www.texasfrenchbread.com/
This is a few blocks from my house and I walk past here every day, though I don't go inside very often.

The rowdy hamburger restaurant where the black football player gave his verbal commitment to the TMU coach is Fran's Hamburgers, on South Congress, just south of Texas French Bread. I eat there all the time. I often see film crews preparing to shoot, but haven't stayed around to watch.
http://austin.about.com/cs/restaurants/a/frans.htm

The TMU coach/recruiter was played by Rick Barnes, who is actually the head basketball coach at the U. of Texas.

MarkBarrett

#27 Post by MarkBarrett » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:51 am

Spoiler
How can Tim and his brother get out of the pickle of stealing $3000 from a drug dealer? Tim made it clear he was in the house by reclaiming his property. In real life I'm not sure they would have survived the episode.

Since it's a TV show, the options:

Return the money; no harm, no foul
A point shaving gambling storyline to repay the debt
Tim lives but the brother is killed
A beat down and Tim has to sell drugs at school
Feds and a sting storyline
The drug dealer doesn't miss the money and nothing else comes of it
Coach Taylor somehow saves the day

Even though the previews gave away the opposing coach coming off the bench to tackle a Panther, the moment was still a little shocking to see such an action with the game on the line.

ne1410s

#28 Post by ne1410s » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:19 pm

The TMU coach/recruiter was played by Rick Barnes, who is actually the head basketball coach at the U. of Texas.
I KNEW that guy looked familiar...
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

tlynn78

#29 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Right, and I don't think many "Happy Days" viewers were buying The Fonz as a 40 year-old teenager either, but I thought "Friday Night Lights" was striving for a little more realism than that.

I think Stockard Channing playing a high school student in "Grease" was the biggest stretch ever. She could easily have played Travolta's mom, had there been such a role.
Oh, or that chick who showed up at the dance with what's his name.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

mrkelley23

#30 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Ages of major Grease cast members at time of movie's release:

John Travolta 24
Olivia Newton-John 30
Stockard Channing 34
Jeff Conaway 28
Didi Conn (Frenchy) 27
Barry Pearl (Doody) 28
Michael Tucci (Sonny) 32
Kelly Ward (Putzie) 22
Dinah Manoff 20
Annette Charles (ChaCha DiGregorio) 30
Dennis C. Stewart (Leo) 31

All pretty long in the tooth for high schoolers, weren't they?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman