Orlando Trip Part 2

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
christie1111
11:11

Orlando Trip Part 2

#1 Post by christie1111 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:06 pm

(cont.)

Spent the first afternoon in Universal. The new Disaster ride is an upgrade of the old Earthquake ride. Very well done. I don’t know how they do the hologram of Christopher Walken, but that is really neat! Jaws wasn’t worth the wait. Men in Black we fast passed so that was fine. Over all, the waits in Univeral (both parks) are so much more boring than the Disney ones. They could take some lessons on how to keep people entertained while waiting from the Mouse people.

Next day was split between Animal Kingdom and MGM. The Dinosaur ride was great. Loved a Bug’s Life and in general thought the park was nice but a little limited for the over 10 year old crowd. Which meant it was good planning to only be there for the morning, then on to MGM. Boy was it sad to see the ABC area with no WWTBAM. I sort of avoided the area mostly. Did walk by the ABC Commisary and commented on how we get tested there in NYC sometimes. We ended up at the stunt show walking in with no wait for the last show. Then saw the street all in lights, very pretty especially when the music plays. Caught the Luminations show or what ever it is called. Seemed a bit scary for some of the smallest visitors. Actually saw a about 3 families leave in the scary villain part.

Saturday morning was spent in Orlando at the parade. Helio Castenades was the celebrity grand marshall person. Funnily enough, he was also on our plane from Orlando to Atlanta. D1111 was very likely on TV due to where the camera was and where she marched. Hopefully my s-i-law got it on tape. Don’t know yet. Hopefully she will not be too technically challenged to find the Post Office.  Rest of the day in Epcot. Ate in the Moroccan restaurant. Okay, but they sure do tone down the seasoning for the tourists. Fireworks were great.

D1111 marched again the afternoon of Sunday at Universal so we spent the morning there. Then she wanted to see the house we were staying in so we drove there for a dinner of take out pizza and she got to swimming and have some laundry done. Sort of getting me used to what the trips from college will be like eventually.

(cont.)
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

MarleysGh0st

Re: Orlando Trip Part 2

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:26 pm

christie1111 wrote:Rest of the day in Epcot. Ate in the Moroccan restaurant. Okay, but they sure do tone down the seasoning for the tourists. Fireworks were great.
Their Illuminations show are my favorite Disney fireworks. :)

But how could you go to Epcot and not mention Soarin' or Mission: Space? Surely you didn't skip them both?

christie1111

#3 Post by christie1111 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:34 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
christie1111 wrote:Rest of the day in Epcot. Ate in the Moroccan restaurant. Okay, but they sure do tone down the seasoning for the tourists. Fireworks were great.
Their Illuminations show are my favorite Disney fireworks. :)

But how could you go to Epcot and not mention Soarin' or Mission: Space? Surely you didn't skip them both?
Due to the parade in the morning we got there at mid-day. Lines were ridiculus since it was the Saturday between Christmas and New Years. Even Fast Passes were sold out on some things.

Family 1111 had gone to Orlando one time before the October after 911. I worked in the morning at a conference and then joined them in the afternoon. They ahd gone on these rides and loved them. This time we concentrated on the 'countries'.

Oh, but that reminds me. We did go on the boat ride which took you through the greenhouses. I wan to build a PVC pipe garden for my lettuces like I saw on the tour. I have warned Husband1111 that he better have a 2" hole cutter for the PVC pipe I am buying this Spring. :D

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:37 pm

christie1111 wrote:Oh, but that reminds me. We did go on the boat ride which took you through the greenhouses.
Huh? What greenhouses?

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:56 pm

I think I have eaten at every country at Epcot. My favorite is Morocco, followed closely by Mexico.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:58 pm

peacock2121 wrote:I think I have eaten at every country at Epcot. My favorite is Morocco, followed closely by Mexico.
Give me the buffet at the Biergarten.

And don't tell Coach Bix. :wink:

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:03 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:I think I have eaten at every country at Epcot. My favorite is Morocco, followed closely by Mexico.

Not a fan - I actually left there hungry.

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:07 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Oh, man! I could be happy just filling up on their salads. Their cucumber salad, their tomato salad...ahhhhhhhh!

gsabc

#9 Post by gsabc » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:12 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
christie1111 wrote:Oh, but that reminds me. We did go on the boat ride which took you through the greenhouses.
Huh? What greenhouses?
IIRC, it's the ride for "The Land" pavilion. WDW grows a lot of their own produce for the restaurants through hydroponics and other means not requiring lots of soil and space. Interesting from a scientific point of view, boring to the typical teen or sub-teen.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

peacock2121

#10 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:40 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Give me the buffet at the Biergarten.

Oh, man! I could be happy just filling up on their salads. Their cucumber salad, their tomato salad...ahhhhhhhh!
too much vinegar and onion

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#11 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:49 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:

I like Morocco, followed by the Biergarten. I like France for dessert.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#12 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:57 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
I'll go with you, Marley. I love all German food (except sweetbreads.)
Last edited by silvercamaro on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#13 Post by Rexer25 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:07 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: Not a fan - I actually left there hungry.
No such thing
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

peacock2121

#14 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote: Oh, man! I could be happy just filling up on their salads. Their cucumber salad, their tomato salad...ahhhhhhhh!
No such thing
Oh! You mean like too many shoes!

Rexer25

#15 Post by Rexer25 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:13 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: too much vinegar and onion
No such thing
No. There is a limit on shoes, at least from a guy's perspective. There are 3 girls in my house. Each of them have at least double the number of pairs of shoes that I have. Some may treble the number. That is way too many.

That'll be $10, please.

peacock2121

#16 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:14 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote: No such thing
No. There is a limit on shoes, at least from a guy's perspective. There are 3 girls in my house. Each of them have at least double the number of pairs of shoes that I have. Some may treble the number. That is way too many.
no

such

thing

Rexer25

#17 Post by Rexer25 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:17 pm

peacock2121 wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote: Oh! You mean like too many shoes!
no

such

thing
If you have shoes you don't ever wear, you have too many shoes.

That'll be $10, please.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#18 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:20 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
If you have shoes you don't ever wear, you have too many shoes.
Au contraire. Shoes that have never been worn are "new shoes." They are being saved for a special occasion for which they'll be perfect, unless they don't match what you decide to wear.

peacock2121

#19 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:22 pm

Listen to Uday.

Always listen to Uday.

tlynn78

#20 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:28 pm

Au contraire. Shoes that have never been worn are "new shoes." They are being saved for a special occasion for which they'll be perfect, unless they don't match what you decide to wear.

I'm swooning:

http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/main/2 ... _cool.html

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#21 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:28 pm

gsabc wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Huh? What greenhouses?
IIRC, it's the ride for "The Land" pavilion. WDW grows a lot of their own produce for the restaurants through hydroponics and other means not requiring lots of soil and space. Interesting from a scientific point of view, boring to the typical teen or sub-teen.
Yup, the attraction is called "Living With the Land".
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

starfish1113

#22 Post by starfish1113 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:41 pm

When we were down there last month, we ate at both Mexico and Morocco. I love Mexico for the ambience alone. The food is pretty good, but the chips and salsa that they serve has to be Tostitos and salsa out of a jar. As for Morocco, I loved the food but the portion was WAY too small for the price.

My favorite so far is Japan, especially with kids. They love the chefs. Germany is very good as well. England is okay at best, but if you sit outside, the view is fantastic. I haven't been to Canada in years, but what I remember was very good. Same with Norway. American Adventure is a joke, foodwise. I've never eaten at China or France. Am I missing any countries?

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#23 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:53 pm

I like both of those. The Canadian restaurant is outstanding as well..the Cheddar Cheese soup is unbelievably yummy.

I never ate at Italy's restaurant before it shut down (there was an Italian eatery, also closed now, called Palio's in The Dolphin resort that we always went to for Italian), but we did try the interim one they have while the plans are made for the permanent replacement. It was ok, but nothing to get excited about.

We used to love Norway when they had the cold AND hot buffets (and the Ringnes beer!!), but it's a big fat blah now. We tried China for the first time on the last trip and it was pretty good..I tried something different from the stuff I usually get at the local takeout and enjoyed it, but my wife had something closer to our local place's menu..it was good, but not so much better that it was worth paying triple what she would've at home! I see they're about to shut down for most of the year..when they reopen, they'll have a "show kitchen" where guests can interact with the chefs. That might be worth it so I can see them make General Tso's Chicken before my eyes. I've tried several recipes, but it never comes out quite right.

Germany is ok..definitely the best value..the price for "all you can eat" is about as low as you're gonna find at any Disney buffet, and there was certainly enough variety to satisfy me. Japan was nice as well, although not much different than what you'd find at a local Japanese place with a Hibachi chef.

Not crazy about the United Kingdom's "Rose and Crown", which is too bad, because their outdoor dining area is the perfect place to see "Illuminations".

The only place I will never never NEVER eat again at EPCOT is France. I think I've told this story before, but we went there when we took my mom and dad, and were seated at the long table in the main dining room. Shortly thereafter, a rather embarrassed looking young man (our waiter) told us that the chef or maitre'd or whatever in charge wanted us to be moved into another room, as my mom's and my wheelchairs were "throwing off the balance" of the place settings at the main table. We definitely should've hightailed it out of there, but if we had left to try and find another place that had availability, we might've missed the Candlelight Processional, which we all really wanted to see. So we swallowed our pride and took a seat in another room, but in all my trips back, I have never set foot in that place again...and never will. Certainly didn't do anything to dispel the rotten reputation the French have.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Flybrick

#24 Post by Flybrick » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:18 pm

I like France for dessert.
Now WHERE have I heard THAT before?

Ah, yes, over at the German display.........

(when we went in last fall, the Chinese restaurant was superb!)

christie1111

#25 Post by christie1111 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:34 pm

gsabc wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Huh? What greenhouses?
Well, the scientific part interested me, of course. :D

I want to grow the lettuces in a PVC pipe garden thingie. Too cool!

I had seen the Mickey Mouse shaped squashes on some show and thought they were neat and then to see them was even neater. Nerdy but true.