WGA calls out Leno on monologue

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

WGA calls out Leno on monologue

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:03 am

Don't do that again, Jay.

That was the official message from the WGA to Jay Leno -- you can't write jokes for yourself without breaking the guild's strike rules because NBC is a struck company. The Peacock fired back by insisting that the guild's rules are illegal.

Fully story

The last paragraph is interesting.
In its first night back, NBC's latenight leader "The Tonight Show" averaged 7.2 million viewers, according to preliminary Nielsen estimates -- a season high for the show and the best for Leno on a Wednesday in about two years. And over at CBS, "Late Show With David Letterman" drew 5.5 million viewers, also a season high. Both shows were up about 40% over their previous season average.
I don't know if that's a reflection on Mike Huckabee vs. Robin Williams. We'll have to see last night's numbers.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#2 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:01 pm

Jay should quit the union. What does he benefit by being a member?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:05 pm

BackInTex wrote:Jay should quit the union. What does he benefit by being a member?
Because he's not a producer of his show (he should be!), he'd not be able to work with his writers.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:36 am

Leno is in an awkward situation. A number of shows like Lost are produced by people who also serve as writers and they could easily have figured out ways to finagle scripts through. They haven't done so because they support the writers. Leno is really caught in the middle and he's probably trying to work through it as best he can.

It's all going to boil down to how well the networks do with their cobbled together schedules. The early results have not been promising. The new reality shows are getting thumped in the ratings by CSI reruns and the return of Law and Order (Celebrity Apprentice did fairly well). The other problem the networks have is that many of the "new" scripted shows they will be introducing, like Sunday's Cashmere Mafia, weren't on the fall schedules because they were lousy shows.

reeg2223

#5 Post by reeg2223 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:41 am

Sounds like the late night ratings got much tighter Thursday night, despite CBS airing all reruns for a lead in, and NBC running all new shows. This is getting interesting...
I see Dave will have folks like Tom Hanks and Morgan Freeman next week. Will Jay just counter with NBC regulars and pet segments? How soon will Conan schedule Al Roker--his last minute fill-in guest?