Random Observations

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

#26 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:02 pm

Dr Dick turned 50 nine years before me. They kept sending me the applications from his 50th birthday until I moved.

silverscreenselect

#27 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:26 am

If Mike Huckabee can end the war in Iraq by sending in Chuck Norris and Rick Flair, then I'd consider voting for him.

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#28 Post by minimetoo26 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:40 am

silverscreenselect wrote:If Mike Huckabee can end the war in Iraq by sending in Chuck Norris and Rick Flair, then I'd consider voting for him.
I just bought the Chuck Norris book. I read the foreword, and the kid who started the website definitely has a future. He seems to be okay.

a1mamacat

#29 Post by a1mamacat » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:54 am

BackInTex wrote: easier to gain weight than loose it (and unless you want to be b**** slapped don't tell me how hard it is for you to keep weight on).
Bring it on!....oh wait, let me put down my triple layer mocha cheese cake and double foam latte....
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#30 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:05 am

tlynn78 wrote:I haven't seen a Beebs post in way too long.

t.
Hey tgirlie. I'm here. I'm here. And obviously will be unable to catch up so I'll start anew.

Hiya's.

It's easier to break a bone than to surgerize it.
Well, then

Tocqueville3

#31 Post by Tocqueville3 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:54 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:Obama sounded much more like a preacher to me than Huckabee did.
I agree, and it didn't bother me. Of the three major Democratic candidates, Obama is the only one who doesn't make my skin crawl. I won't vote for him, but I do like his approach to the campaign.

Same here. I would never even consider voting for him but I like his style.

I also like his wife. She sems like a very genuine lady.

Their girls are just adorable.

TheConfessor

#32 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:59 pm

Tocqueville3 wrote:I would never even consider voting for him but I like his style.
That's a curious statement. You don't even know who your choices will be or what might happen in the world over the next ten months. I thought a citizen's civic duty was to "consider" the facts and the candidates, and vote for whoever he or she thinks is the best person for that office.

I might prefer some candidates over others at this early date, but I could see myself voting for any of them in November, depending on who's running against whom and what the issues and positions are at that time.

Tocqueville3

#33 Post by Tocqueville3 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:06 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
Tocqueville3 wrote:I would never even consider voting for him but I like his style.
That's a curious statement. You don't even know who your choices will be or what might happen in the world over the next ten months. I thought a citizen's civic duty was to "consider" the facts and the candidates, and vote for whoever he or she thinks is the best person for that office.

I might prefer some candidates over others at this early date, but I could see myself voting for any of them in November, depending on who's running against whom and what the issues and positions are at that time.
Quite frankly, I would never consider voting for him because of the party he affiliates himself with. I would be very hard pressed to vote for a Democrat. I may not vote for a Republican but I almost assuredly will not vote for a Democrat. Just because I don't agree with his political leanings doesn't mean that I can't like the way he is running his campaign. He seems like a very well intended, genuine guy but he's just too liberal for me.

I hope I cleared that up for you.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#34 Post by kayrharris » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:43 pm

What did we do before we had all our electronic gadgets? The battery for my laptop came in today. I did go look at new ones, but decided mine is just fine.

I was without it for almost a week. It's amazing how much I missed it. Sorta like trying to live without a cell phone these days. My desktop works just fine and I'm glad I had it as a backup, but it sure is nice to have the old laptop back up and running.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

TheConfessor

#35 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:08 am

Tocqueville3 wrote:Quite frankly, I would never consider voting for him because of the party he affiliates himself with. I would be very hard pressed to vote for a Democrat. I may not vote for a Republican but I almost assuredly will not vote for a Democrat. Just because I don't agree with his political leanings doesn't mean that I can't like the way he is running his campaign. He seems like a very well intended, genuine guy but he's just too liberal for me.

Fair warning:
If it ends up Obama vs. Tancredo in ten months, you and I will probably be hoping for different outcomes. (I can't say that I'll cancel out your vote, since we're in different states.) But even with that hypothetical choice, I'd keep an open mind and see what the candidates have to say, then make an informed decision after I have all the facts.

Most of today's staunch Southern Republicans used to be staunch Southern Democrats. So it's not the name of the party that's important. Times change. I don't think we'll have a chance to vote for many Whigs or Federalists this year.

peacock2121

#36 Post by peacock2121 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:09 am

It is possible that I could cross over and vote for a republican presidential candidate. I don't see it happening this time, can't think of one who I would do that for this time around.

I am not sure about Obama or Edwards or Hillary.

I did send away for a absentee ballot for our primary. Still not sure for whom I will vote.

Tocqueville3

#37 Post by Tocqueville3 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:56 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
Tocqueville3 wrote:Quite frankly, I would never consider voting for him because of the party he affiliates himself with. I would be very hard pressed to vote for a Democrat. I may not vote for a Republican but I almost assuredly will not vote for a Democrat. Just because I don't agree with his political leanings doesn't mean that I can't like the way he is running his campaign. He seems like a very well intended, genuine guy but he's just too liberal for me.

Fair warning:
If it ends up Obama vs. Tancredo in ten months, you and I will probably be hoping for different outcomes. (I can't say that I'll cancel out your vote, since we're in different states.) But even with that hypothetical choice, I'd keep an open mind and see what the candidates have to say, then make an informed decision after I have all the facts.

Most of today's staunch Southern Republicans used to be staunch Southern Democrats. So it's not the name of the party that's important. Times change. I don't think we'll have a chance to vote for many Whigs or Federalists this year.
That's a really, really big hypothetical. Tancredo doesn't have an ice cubes chance. However, I would be hard pressed to vote for Tancredo. He is running on one issue, immigration. You're right about weighing all of the options. I do think I know Obama enough to know that he won't be getting my vote. If it were Obama v. Tancredo I might just have to find a third party candidate.

Does anyone else here think that Ron Paul is going to switch back to being a Libertarian after he gets squashed as a Republican and run as a thrid party candidate? FTR, I prolly wouldn't vote for him either. He gives me the creeps.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#38 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:24 pm

Tocqueville3 wrote:
Does anyone else here think that Ron Paul is going to switch back to being a Libertarian after he gets squashed as a Republican and run as a thrid party candidate? FTR, I prolly wouldn't vote for him either. He gives me the creeps.
Some kind of third-party news may be coming out of Oklahoma tomorrow, involving Michael Bloomberg. David Boren, having -- ahem -- "retired" from politics, is hosting a political forum. Early widespread rumors claimed Bloomberg would announce himself as a third-party presidential candidate, although Boren now is denying that. He says it will be a bi-partisan discussion of national problems. We'll see.

TheCalvinator24

#39 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:41 pm

The speculation is that if the Bloomberg/Boren group doesn't like the Republican Nominee, they will back Bloomberg as an Independent.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Tocqueville3

#40 Post by Tocqueville3 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:49 pm

TheCalvinator24 wrote:The speculation is that if the Bloomberg/Boren group doesn't like the Republican Nominee, they will back Bloomberg as an Independent.
Yes, that's likely but I think that Ron Paul is in the race as a Republican so he can get more name recognition and GOP money. I think his intentions are to end this race as a Libertarian.

Then again, I've been wrong about bigger things than this.

TheCalvinator24

#41 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:57 pm

Tocqueville3 wrote:
TheCalvinator24 wrote:The speculation is that if the Bloomberg/Boren group doesn't like the Republican Nominee, they will back Bloomberg as an Independent.
Yes, that's likely but I think that Ron Paul is in the race as a Republican so he can get more name recognition and GOP money. I think his intentions are to end this race as a Libertarian.

Then again, I've been wrong about bigger things than this.
I think there's a lot to that as well. Paul isn't spending much of this record fundraising money on the Primaries, so he'll likely have plenty of money to finance a general run. The Republican Leadership in the House should strip him of his Committee assignments if he does, though.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

earendel

#42 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:48 am

BackInTex wrote:Usually it is the better/improvement type things that are harder. For example, it is easier to mess up a room than clean it, easier to gain weight than loose it (and unless you want to be b**** slapped don't tell me how hard it is for you to keep weight on).

However, it is easier to undecorate a house after Christmas than to decorate it.
It's certainly quicker, but I wouldn't necessarily say easier. We undecorated our church yesterday after services and although everything came down quickly, storing it was a time-consuming process because we had to put everything in marked tubs so we could find it for next year.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."