January QOD rules

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ToLiveIsToFly

January QOD rules

#1 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:54 am

There were a couple people who finished December ahead of me who didn't comment yesterday, but it was New Years Eve so perhaps you had something better to do. So if any of y'all want to take over, I'll humbly stand aside and let you.

But in the meantime, I've written a few Jeopardy games for the simulator game created by Mike Dupee (if you're interested in playing, I'd suggest starting at http://www.vjboard.com/ before proceeding to http://www.mindfun.com/chat/vj/index.php)

I'll throw up Jeopardy and one Double Jeopardy category per day, and I'll throw in a Final Jeopardy question once a week or so.

Questions will be open from when they're posted until 11:59 pm the following day, central time (or whenever I get around to posting the answers, whichever comes later). Friday, Saturday and Sunday questions will be open until 11:59 pm Monday.

Just like in Jeopardy, if you don't know the answer, you should sit on your hands, because if you guess wrong, you'll lose the points.

There will be wagering for the "final jeopardy" categories - When I post the next-to-last category. The category will appear with Thursday's QOD, and you can make your wager on any game thread until I post the question on Monday. If you post a wager and don't answer the question, I'll assume you don't know and take away the points you bet. If you don't post a wager but do answer the question, you get pride, but no points.

As for outside sourcing and such, the game's about quick recall, not deliberation. You should write down the answers right away once you see the questions, rather than leaving your response open all day and seeing if they come to you.

I'll try to apply Jeopardy standards to determine whether your responses are correct or not (spelling doesn't in count, as long as what you put down could plausibly be pronounced like the correct answer). But don't worry about that phrasing-in-the-form-of-a-question crap.

ToLiveIsToFly

FJ Wagering

#2 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:12 am

A couple things I should have mentioned about your FJ wagers.

1. They should be spoilered, in a spoiler separate from your answers to that days' questions, so people can, after they answer, look to see what other people's answers were without seeing your wager.

2. You can wager all or none of the points you've accumulated since the previous FJ. Since you'll be wagering before you've seen all the questions or know how many points you'll have, you'll have to guess a little - you can wager a specific number, even an arbitrarily high one, or you can say "all of it". If you bet more than you actually have, I'll double your points if you get it right and bring you down to zero if you get it wrong.

fantine33

Re: FJ Wagering

#3 Post by fantine33 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:58 am

I'm not sure I understand the FJ stuff, but I'm assuming it will become clear when it happens.

Thanks for taking over the QOD, it's fun to be back on the answering side (where you're expected to make mistakes, which is kind of my forte. Ha!)

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:02 am

I am glad I read the rules or I woulda guessed at the ones I didn't see the url for.

andrewjackson

Re: January QOD rules

#5 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:29 am

ToLiveIsToFly wrote:There were a couple people who finished December ahead of me who didn't comment yesterday, but it was New Years Eve so perhaps you had something better to do. So if any of y'all want to take over, I'll humbly stand aside and let you.

Sounds fine with me. Question away!
No matter where you go, there you are.