FINAL QOD 12-30 "IT'S THE BIG ONE, ELIZABETH!"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
fantine33

FINAL QOD 12-30 "IT'S THE BIG ONE, ELIZABETH!"

#1 Post by fantine33 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:53 am

Today's QOD will be open until noon tomorrow so I can do scores and all by the end of the year. Saturday's will still be open through midnight tonight.

It's here! The final QOD of the month. And there's some big honking points ready to be picked up in this expanded extravaganza. And, even if you sprang forth on this earth as a new created life form on November 30, you have a chance for a perfect score.

I have expressed this sentiment in the past, but I don't think what you know is nearly so important as what you learn. I don't care so much about what I know as what I want to know. It warms my cold, little heart when others say the same thing (and I love Kay's new signature!).

Today will show how many others feel the same way. These questions might look a little familiar to some of you. That's because they are some of the toughest (or at least some that got the fewest correct answers) that have appeared over the last month. If you're like me and are more interested in the answers you don't know that the ones you do, you either looked these up after or waited to read the answer posts. No fair looking up past posts!

Each quiz question will be worth 25 (!) points, with the regular double or nothing for the QOD and some higher valued bonus questions.

So, what have we learned, class?

1. Although I haven't done the necessary research for many years, I think that this may be the only kosher rotgut. Please give the full brand name or street name (either one, but it must be the full name either way) of this skid row wine made by a company whose name is derived from the Hebrew for a symbol of Judaism.

2. Name one (and only one) Public Enemy song not titled "Fight the Power".

3. What is Terrell Owens' middle name?

4. John Goodman has had several tv series in the past few years that haven't gone anywhere. Which one of them had Ed Asner and Olympia Dukakis as his parents?

5. These are the first words to what book? The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling.

6. The state flower of Louisiana.

7. The Dolly Sisters were a popular dance act in the Teens and Twenties. I don't think they there are much remembered now, but back in the day (1945) they rated a "biographical" movie starring June Haver and what other actress in the lead roles?

8. What is the term for three players playing a card game normally played by two individuals or teams?

9. What company was known for the slogan "What's on the table, Mabel?"

10. What is the name and number of the Pope Formerly Known as Rodrigo Borgia?

QOD: What Denver Nugget wore #15 before he wore his retired #33? (If you don't know this one, then you really haven't been paying attention. Ha!)

You've been reading at least one of my posts everyday for the past month, but how much have you really looked at them?

25 Point Bonus: What was my first avatar on this message board?

50 Point Bonus Bonus: A quote from what French writer served as my signature line before I went all ABA and Rock of Love and stuff?

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:58 am

OK, I wasn't paying much attention! :P

Then again, I was busy trying to make up your next installment of lyrically speaking, so I've got a good excuse....

Well, OK, I did remember an answer to one of these....
Spoiler
2. Name one (and only one) Public Enemy song not titled "Fight the Power". - 911 Is A Joke

I can't even remember the #15/33 guy... and I spent a bunch of time on Google trying to find a pic of him in #15 too. Do I get credit for remembering he shares a birthday with me (July 13th)?

lb13

ne1410s

#3 Post by ne1410s » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:02 am

Fantine, what a great month you created. Thank you so much.

Tom

Spoiler

1. Although I haven't done the necessary research for many years, I think that this may be the only kosher rotgut. Please give the full brand name or street name (either one, but it must be the full name either way) of this skid row wine made by a company whose name is derived from the Hebrew for a symbol of Judaism.

MOGEN DAVID

2. Name one (and only one) Public Enemy song not titled "Fight the Power". SANTY CLAUSE IS COMING TO TOWN

3. What is Terrell Owens' middle name? ELDORADO

4. John Goodman has had several tv series in the past few years that haven't gone anywhere. Which one of them had Ed Asner and Olympia Dukakis as his parents?

CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE

5. These are the first words to what book? The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling.

TRAINSPOTTING

6. The state flower of Louisiana. MAGNOLIA

7. The Dolly Sisters were a popular dance act in the Teens and Twenties. I don't think they there are much remembered now, but back in the day (1945) they rated a "biographical" movie starring June Haver and what other actress in the lead roles? BETTY GRABLE

8. What is the term for three players playing a card game normally played by two individuals or teams?

9. What company was known for the slogan "What's on the table, Mabel?" BLACK LABEL BEER ????????????????

10. What is the name and number of the Pope Formerly Known as Rodrigo Borgia? ALEXANDER VI

QOD: What Denver Nugget wore #15 before he wore his retired #33? (If you don't know this one, then you really haven't been paying attention. Ha!) DAVID THOMPSON

You've been reading at least one of my posts everyday for the past month, but how much have you really looked at them?

25 Point Bonus: What was my first avatar on this message board? "THERE ARE NONE SO BLIND AS THOSE THAT WILL NOT SEE."

50 Point Bonus Bonus: A quote from what French writer served as my signature line before I went all ABA and Rock of Love and stuff?

VOLTAIRE
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

mrkelley23

Re: FINAL QOD 12-30 "IT'S THE BIG ONE, ELIZABETH!"

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:38 am

fantine33 wrote:Today's QOD will be open until noon tomorrow so I can do scores and all by the end of the year. Saturday's will still be open through midnight tonight.

It's here! The final QOD of the month. And there's some big honking points ready to be picked up in this expanded extravaganza. And, even if you sprang forth on this earth as a new created life form on November 30, you have a chance for a perfect score.

I have expressed this sentiment in the past, but I don't think what you know is nearly so important as what you learn. I don't care so much about what I know as what I want to know. It warms my cold, little heart when others say the same thing (and I love Kay's new signature!).

Today will show how many others feel the same way. These questions might look a little familiar to some of you. That's because they are some of the toughest (or at least some that got the fewest correct answers) that have appeared over the last month. If you're like me and are more interested in the answers you don't know that the ones you do, you either looked these up after or waited to read the answer posts. No fair looking up past posts!

Each quiz question will be worth 25 (!) points, with the regular double or nothing for the QOD and some higher valued bonus questions.

7. The Dolly Sisters were a popular dance act in the Teens and Twenties. I don't think they there are much remembered now, but back in the day (1945) they rated a "biographical" movie starring June Haver and what other actress in the lead roles?

QOD: What Denver Nugget wore #15 before he wore his retired #33? (If you don't know this one, then you really haven't been paying attention. Ha!)

Spoiler
1. Mad Dog 20-20, by Mogen David
2. 911 is a Joke
3. Eldorado
4. Still don't remember. I looked it up, too. That's how unmemorable it really was.
5. Trainspotting
6. Magnolia (an eponym! Who knew?)
7. Betty Grable
8. Cutthroat
9. Carling Black Label
10. Alexander VI
QoD: David Thompson
Bonus: The Indian God guy? Can't remember if you tried one before that or not.
BonusBonus: Can't remember this one, either. Too many quotes in too many sig lines. I'll guess DesCartes, Rene.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

themanintheseersuckersuit

#5 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:58 am

Spoiler

Mad Dog 20/20

Trainspotting

Magnolia

Short Handed

Carling

Alexander VI

David Thompson

Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

andrewjackson

#6 Post by andrewjackson » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:08 am

Spoiler
1. Mogen David MD 20/20

2. In one ear and out the other

3. Eldorado

4. Center of the Universe

5. Trainspotting

6. Magnolia

7. Nope

8. Cutthroat

9. Black Label Beer

10. Alexander VI

QOD: David Thompson

25 Point Bonus: Nope

50 Point Bonus Bonus: Nope

Thank you very much for a very fun game this month. I've enjoyed it (and learned) a lot.
No matter where you go, there you are.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:41 am

I don't remember any of these except the basketball Q. :( I dint play much . . .

Oh well, I'll get one and the QoD anyway. :)

Great month! Thanks!
Spoiler
fantine33 wrote:

Cutthroat

David Thompson

Krishna

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#8 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:48 am

Spoiler
I wasn't here at the beginning of the month, but let's see...

1-Mogen David "mad dog" 20/20
2-Yikes. I can name you a couple of albums, but songs? I don't deal with rap very well. Let's hope that there's a title track to one of 'em..I'll try "Fear of a Black Planet".
3-???
4-Center of the Universe.
5-Trainspotting
6-Magnolia
7-This one I got right the first time--Betty Grable
8-Rats..I forgot.
9-Carling Black Label
10-Alexander..don't remember the #

QOD: David Thompson
25 pb: Oops! It was some sort of goddess I think. Not Anime-ish, but similar.
50pbb: Oh phooey. I saw it, but dint retain it.
Thank you very much for a fun month..a most excellent job.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#9 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:54 am

SportsFan68 wrote:I don't remember any of these except the basketball Q. :( I dint play much . . .

Oh well, I'll get one and the QoD anyway. :)

Great month! Thanks!
Spoiler
fantine33 wrote:

Cutthroat

David Thompson

Krishna
Spoiler
Oh bother. If Sprots is correct, and I'm betting she is now that my memory has been jogged, my karma has taken a turn for the worse, having just called Krishna a cross-dresser.

I'm doomed. In my next life, I will probably be Paris Hilton's dog.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

KillerTomato

#10 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:19 pm

Spoiler

First off, thanks for the fun month of QoDness. If nothing else, it forced me to log in every day this month. At its worst (*cough* too much f'in' basketball *cough*) it made me think about stuff I don't normally think about. At its best (*cough* too many to mention *cough*) it made me remember stuff I thought I'd forgotten. You are a terrific meistrix!

1. Mogen David Mad Dog 20/20

2. I seem to remember that my guess with "Fear of a Black Planet" was judged correct.

3. Eldorado, if I remember right.

4. Crap. I even remember looking this up, but I can't remember. "Curse of the Working Class"?

5. "Trainspotting"

6. Magnolia

7. This I remember. Betty Grable.

8. Cutthroat

9. Carlsberg Black Label Beer

10. Alexander VI

QOD: David Thompson?

25 Point Bonus: It was a drawing of a hindu deity of some sort. Might have been Krishna or Shiva. It wasn't Ganesha, though.

50 Point Bonus Bonus: Major wag: Voltaire?
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

a1mamacat

#11 Post by a1mamacat » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:41 pm

fantine33 wrote:Today's QOD will be open until noon tomorrow so I can do scores and all by the end of the year. Saturday's will still be open through midnight tonight.

So, what have we learned, class? = That I have not absorbed too much LOL.
Spoiler

1. Although I haven't done the necessary research for many years, I think that this may be the only kosher rotgut. Please give the full brand name or street name (either one, but it must be the full name either way) of this skid row wine made by a company whose name is derived from the Hebrew for a symbol of Judaism. Mogen David Mad Dog

2. Name one (and only one) Public Enemy song not titled "Fight the Power". nope

3. What is Terrell Owens' middle name? Eldorado

4. John Goodman has had several tv series in the past few years that haven't gone anywhere. Which one of them had Ed Asner and Olympia Dukakis as his parents? nope

5. These are the first words to what book? The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling. Trainspotting

6. The state flower of Louisiana. Magnolia

7. The Dolly Sisters were a popular dance act in the Teens and Twenties. I don't think they there are much remembered now, but back in the day (1945) they rated a "biographical" movie starring June Haver and what other actress in the lead roles? Betty Grable

8. What is the term for three players playing a card game normally played by two individuals or teams? nope

9. What company was known for the slogan "What's on the table, Mabel?" black label

10. What is the name and number of the Pope Formerly Known as Rodrigo Borgia? Akexabder VI

QOD: What Denver Nugget wore #15 before he wore his retired #33? (If you don't know this one, then you really haven't been paying attention. Ha!) no, I pay attention, I just...um... don't retain basketball stuff.

25 Point Bonus: What was my first avatar on this message board? heck

50 Point Bonus Bonus: A quote from what French writer served as my signature line before I went all ABA and Rock of Love and stuff? double heck
Fanny, this is probably the first QoD I have tried to play through in a long time. Thanks for the fun and simplicity of number etc.

edited to fix stooopid spoiler tag.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

tanstaafl2

#12 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:44 pm

fantine33 wrote: It's here! The final QOD of the month. And there's some big honking points ready to be picked up in this expanded extravaganza. And, even if you sprang forth on this earth as a new created life form on November 30, you have a chance for a perfect score.
Fortunately having a mind a bit like the La Brea tar pits might be useful here. If I heard it recently I can usually remember it. Emphasis on usually.
Spoiler
Mad Dog 20/20 from the fine folks at Mogen David.

Unfortunately even though I look them all up rap just doesn't stick with me I guess.

Eldorado

Center of the Universe

Train Spotting

Magnolia

Betty Grable

Cut throat. For some reason I associate this more with a three person game of pool, although that did not occur to me at the time as I think I missed it, as I did most of these.

Carling Black Label Beer

Alexander VI (I think, my dyslexia still seems to struggle with numbers after Popes, Kings and the like...)

David "Skywalker" Thompson. At least it was so listed in the mystical program, even though at least one member of the bored foolishly chose to dispute this assertion because of course the are no pictures of him wearing it on the all powerful and ethereal web to confirm it.

Umm, Ha! Yeah, that's it...

Krishnu. Whether or not he was hairy I couldn't say although "he" did look rather androgenous as I recall so perhaps not so much...

Hmm, got me there. I remember it being pithy and all of course but not the details. Rene Descartes perhaps? He seems like your kinda dude what with being a philosopher, writer and of course mathematician,.

Very Numb3rs-ish of him, even if they do use the silly 3 for an E in the name as a recent QOD game meister once pointed out to me...
Superb work as always Mistress Meister! Had it been any less I would of course have been disappointed...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

tanstaafl2

#13 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:48 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
fantine33 wrote: It's here! The final QOD of the month. And there's some big honking points ready to be picked up in this expanded extravaganza. And, even if you sprang forth on this earth as a new created life form on November 30, you have a chance for a perfect score.
Fortunately having a mind a bit like the La Brea tar pits might be useful here. If I heard it recently I can usually remember it. Emphasis on usually.
Spoiler
Mad Dog 20/20 from the fine folks at Mogen David.

Unfortunately even though I look them all up rap just doesn't stick with me I guess.

Eldorado

Center of the Universe

Train Spotting

Magnolia

Betty Grable

Cut throat. For some reason I associate this more with a three person game of pool, although that did not occur to me at the time as I think I missed it, as I did most of these.

Carling Black Label Beer

Alexander VI (I think, my dyslexia still seems to struggle with numbers after Popes, Kings and the like...)

David "Skywalker" Thompson. At least it was so listed in the mystical program, even though at least one member of the bored foolishly chose to dispute this assertion because of course the are no pictures of him wearing it on the all powerful and ethereal web to confirm it.

Umm, Ha! Yeah, that's it...

Krishnu. Whether or not he was hairy I couldn't say although "he" did look rather androgenous as I recall so perhaps not so much...

Hmm, got me there. I remember it being pithy and all of course but not the details. Rene Descartes perhaps? He seems like your kinda dude what with being a philosopher, writer and of course mathematician,.

Very Numb3rs-ish of him, even if they do use the silly 3 for an E in the name as a recent QOD game meister once pointed out to me...
Superb work as always Mistress Meister! Had it been any less I would of course have been disappointed...
Spoiler
Be nice if I reviewed my work and checked spelling. Like Krishna instead of Krishnu, who ever that is...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#14 Post by kayrharris » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:53 pm

Spoiler
Today's QOD will be open until noon tomorrow so I can do scores and all by the end of the year. Saturday's will still be open through midnight tonight.

1. Although I haven't done the necessary research for many years, I think that this may be the only kosher rotgut. Please give the full brand name or street name (either one, but it must be the full name either way) of this skid row wine made by a company whose name is derived from the Hebrew for a symbol of Judaism. Mogen David

2. Name one (and only one) Public Enemy song not titled "Fight the Power". 911 is dangling in my memory, but not sure it that's the name of a song

3. What is Terrell Owens' middle name? Eldorado

4. John Goodman has had several tv series in the past few years that haven't gone anywhere. Which one of them had Ed Asner and Olympia Dukakis as his parents? "Center of the Universe"

5. These are the first words to what book? The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling. "Trainspotting"

6. The state flower of Louisiana. Magnolia

7. The Dolly Sisters were a popular dance act in the Teens and Twenties. I don't think they there are much remembered now, but back in the day (1945) they rated a "biographical" movie starring June Haver and what other actress in the lead roles? Betty Grable

8. What is the term for three players playing a card game normally played by two individuals or teams? cutthroat

Carling Black Label

10. What is the name and number of the Pope Formerly Known as Rodrigo Borgia? Alexander VI

QOD: What Denver Nugget wore #15 before he wore his retired #33? (If you don't know this one, then you really haven't been paying attention. Ha!) David Thompson

Krishna

Dangit. No way this will come to me after a month.

I love reviews...and I do read all the answers after each QOD....

Thanks for a great game and teaching me stuff.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#15 Post by AnnieCamaro » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:11 pm

Spoiler
1. Mogen David, also known as Mad Dog 20/20. (That's a terrible name!)
2. 911 Is a Joke
3. Eldorado
5. Trainspotting
6. Magnolia, named for Mr. Magnol (I should have gotten that right the first time, but I got distracted by those red poison Christmas flowers!)
7. I forget. I never met her. My dolly doesn't have a sister.
8. Cutthroat
9. Black Label Beer
10. Mr. Pope Alexander VI
QoD. Mr. Skywalker David Thompson
25-pt. Bonus. That blue girl, who turned out to be a blue guy. His name is Mr. Miss Krishna of the Vishnu Krishnas.
50-pt. Bonus. I don't remember for sure, so I have to guess. I guess Mr. Monsieur Rochefoucauld.
Miss Fantine, thank you for letting me play. You have asked most excellent questions, and I learned much from not knowing things and looking up everything afterwards. (That's pretty much how I learned stuff at Home School High School, too.) There's still veryveryvery much I don't understand about basketball, but when I make friends with Miss Abi Olajawon, I will ask her to explain everything. Also, you deserve credit for making me extra determined to get out of the hospital fast so I could come answer the QoD for myself, since my mom turned out not to be so good about remembering all the parts. Still, it was nice of her to try, bless her heart.

/:P\
Sou iu koto de.

Catfish

#16 Post by Catfish » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:06 pm

Spoiler
Mogen David
Forgot already
El Dorado
Forgot already
Trainspotting
Magnolia
Forgot already
Cutthroat?
Carling
Missed this one
David Thompson

That blue Hindu god--Krishna?
LaRochefecauld?
Catfish

mikehardware

#17 Post by mikehardware » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Spoiler
1. Mogen David - Mad Dog 20/20?
5. Trainspotting
8. Cutthroat
9. Carling Black Label?

JBillyGirl

#18 Post by JBillyGirl » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:56 pm

Spoiler
OK, I officially suck. I haven't been reading all your answers or remembering those I did read.

1. Although I haven't done the necessary research for many years, I think that this may be the only kosher rotgut. Please give the full brand name or street name (either one, but it must be the full name either way) of this skid row wine made by a company whose name is derived from the Hebrew for a symbol of Judaism. -- Mogen David

7. The Dolly Sisters were a popular dance act in the Teens and Twenties. I don't think they there are much remembered now, but back in the day (1945) they rated a "biographical" movie starring June Haver and what other actress in the lead roles? -- Judy Garland?

10. What is the name and number of the Pope Formerly Known as Rodrigo Borgia? -- Alexander III

QOD: What Denver Nugget wore #15 before he wore his retired #33? (If you don't know this one, then you really haven't been paying attention. Ha!) -- I plead guilty. Like I said, I suck.

25 Point Bonus: What was my first avatar on this message board? -- a Hindu god/ess?

50 Point Bonus Bonus: A quote from what French writer served as my signature line before I went all ABA and Rock of Love and stuff? -- Sartre?

JBillyGirl

#19 Post by JBillyGirl » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:59 pm

I forgot to say thank you for all the games. Very nicely done -- on your part, that is, not necessarily mine! :lol:

traininvain

#20 Post by traininvain » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:07 am

Spoiler

2. Night Of The Living Baseheads

4. Normal, Ohio

I'm brain dead.
Enjoy every sandwich

peacock2121

#21 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:04 am

Spoiler
1. Although I haven't done the necessary research for many years, I think that this may be the only kosher rotgut. Please give the full brand name or street name (either one, but it must be the full name either way) of this skid row wine made by a company whose name is derived from the Hebrew for a symbol of Judaism. Mad Dog 20/20 - I never heard of this before your asked this question - which is very odd, as I was married to a Jewish optometrist for 17 years and you woulda thought this woulda been a cool thing for him to note.

2. Name one (and only one) Public Enemy song not titled "Fight the Power". 9-11 is a joke - I thought that was an odd name for a song.

3. What is Terrell Owens' middle name? this one gives me pause. I remember the question you asked being what was the middle name of some relative of yours, I know I guessed Edsel and the answer was Eldorado - to that question and I don't remember a question about T.O.'s middle name - I will answer Eldorado to this just cuz that's all I got.

4. John Goodman has had several tv series in the past few years that haven't gone anywhere. Which one of them had Ed Asner and Olympia Dukakis as his parents? Ha! I knew this one the first time around - Center of the Universe.

5. These are the first words to what book? The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling. Trainspotting - still don't get why it is one word.

6. The state flower of Louisiana. yikers - I said Magnolia then and I am sticking with that one.

8. What is the term for three players playing a card game normally played by two individuals or teams? Cut throat

9. What company was known for the slogan "What's on the table, Mabel?" Black Label Beer - it rhymes and makes better sense than my guess at the time.

10. What is the name and number of the Pope Formerly Known as Rodrigo Borgia? nope - not holding that in my head

QOD: What Denver Nugget wore #15 before he wore his retired #33? (If you don't know this one, then you really haven't been paying attention. Ha!) Who can forget the smack down that continued for days about this one? David Thompson

25 Point Bonus: What was my first avatar on this message board? At first I thought it was some Indian girl and then there was some conversation about it and I found out it was a boy - some HareKrishna guy - that's all I know

50 Point Bonus Bonus: A quote from what French writer served as my signature line before I went all ABA and Rock of Love and stuff? Sorry - I don't do quotes too many times - I will go with Voltaire, as someone had him.

jarnon

#22 Post by jarnon » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:19 am

Spoiler
1. MD 20/20
5. Trainspotters
6. Magnolia
I enjoyed this month's QOD game. Have a great New Year!

ToLiveIsToFly

#23 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:40 am

MOGEN DAVID

911 IS A (MOTHERF*CKING) JOKE

ELDORADO

CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE

TRAINSPOTTING

MAGNOLIA?

CAROL CHANNING?

CUTTHROAT

COUNTY CORONERS R US

SEE, NOW I DON'T REMEMBER AS WELL ANY MORE. GREGORY VI I THINK

DAVID THOMPSON

IT WAS A PURPLE-ISH INDIAN DEITY THINGY. I DON'T KNOW MY HINDUISM WELL ENOUGH TO KNOW IF IT WAS SHIVA, VISHNU, BRAHMA, JESUS OR SOMEONE ELSE. I GUESS I THOUGHT OF IT AS THE GODDESS FANTINE. I WONDER WHAT COSETTE LOOKED LIKE?

VICTOR HUGO?

tlynn78

#24 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:07 pm

Spoiler
1. Mogen David Mad Dog 20/20

2. 911 is a JOke

3. Eldorado

5. Trainspotting

6. Magnolia

7. nope

8. nope

9. Black Label Beer

10. Pope Alexander VI

QOD

David Thompson

25PB

Some INdian guy - Krishna?

other bonus
nope
t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

fantine33

#25 Post by fantine33 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:34 pm

Sadly, the 50 Super Special Secret Bonus Points for invoking the name of Fred Sanford or working in "I'm coming to you, Elizabeth!" went unclaimed.

I would like to thank all of you for playing this month and especially to those of you who dropped some props on me in this thread. Caro, dude, you need to come visit me! Why don't you fall on by for our birthdays and I'll take you to a Nuggets game. Your world will be transformed.

I was also quite happy to see how many people got questions right that they had no clue about the first time around. You WERE paying attention!

Super duper cred to Annie Camaro and Kittyfish for rocking both of the bonus questions.

MD 20/20 or MAD DOG 20/20

Mogen David is the company, MD 20/20 is the brand.

As before, 911 IS A JOKE and FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET are the popular kids.

I really don't like a whole lot of current rap, but I do love my old school.

ELDORADO

More people got this the first time around than I thought would (although it was only a few), but almost everybody remembered it. Peacock, you got it right for the wrong reason. It was on 12-7, when the questions concerned people born on 12-7. One of the bonuses was TO's name and the other one was my uncle being shot down over Formosa, which is now Taiwan (his middle name was Woodrow, btw).

CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE

This was the biggest QOD stumper of the month. Peacock and Holt Dad were the only correct answers. So, more proof that people have been reading because quite a few are now aware of this fabulous show that ended too soon.

TRAINSPOTTING

Another one that had about three or four correct answers (Fly and KT were two I am sure about). I had forgotten about this one until a couple days ago. I saw Iggy Pop doing Lust for Life and the video was clips of the movie.

MAGNOLIA, named for Pierre Magnol, a botanist. I didn't know about this beforehand, either. For some reason, I thought that the gardenia was named for a scientist named Garden and, when I sadly found that wasn't the case, I stumbled upon the magnolia.

BETTY GRABLE

Tbone was the only right answer the first time around, but a lot of you got it this time. Jbillygirl tried Judy Garland again, but she still isn't in the move. Although, perhaps you formed this opinion unconsciously, as one of the Dolly Sisters was married to Harry Fox, writer of I'm Always Chasing Rainbows, the song that Judy Garland sang in Ziegfeld Girl. So, if you looked up that song after I used it in the Rock Me, Amadeus quiz (the music is the cantabile from Fantasie Impromptu), maybe that stuck with you? Or maybe I'm just insane and am the only one on the planet who could come up with that connection in the first place. Ha!

CUT THROAT

CARLING BLACK LABEL BEER

ALEXANDER VI

DAVID! SKYWALKER! THOMPSON! I can't remember, did I tell my story about standing next to David Thompson at the Pepsi Center last year?

Littlebeast got 10 points for the July 13th thing, because that shows he actually looked him up.

Snoopy's play by play made me laugh. The funny part is, there actually was a picture of him in the program wearing #15 but it was a b/w newsprint quality photograph and rather than fend off the "how do I know that's him?", I just used the profile copy. So, if I used the picture as my avatar, would that mean that there IS now a picture on the internet? Ha!

KRISHNA

Everyone who mentioned a blue-skinned guy or Hindu God got 10 points. Those specifying Krishna got 25.

I'm such a dumbass. I was reading Voltaire, Descartes, etc. and thought "wow, people really did pay attention because they're at least guessing French guys". Until I realize that I said that in the clue. Ha! It was as follows:

"IF WE HAD NO FAULTS OF OUR OWN, WE WOULD NOT TAKE SO MUCH PLEASURE IN NOTICING THOSE OF OTHERS"

FRANCOIS DE LA ROCHEFOUCAULD

I love La Rochefoucauld, he was a funny cat.

Quiz QOD Bonus Total
225 225 75 525 AnnieCamaro
225 225 25 475 KillerTomato
225 225 25 475 peacock
225 225 25 475 tanstaafl
225 225 10 460 mrkelley
200 200 25 425 kayrharris
200 200 25 425 tlynn
200 200 0 400 andrewjackson
175 175 10 360 ToLiveIsToFly
175 175 0 350 ne1410s
175 175 0 350 tbone