Before the Devil Knows You're Pregnant

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
KillerTomato

Before the Devil Knows You're Pregnant

#1 Post by KillerTomato » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Finally got to the movies for the first time in ages today. Double feature. Well, it was for me, at least.

First up: Juno.

I wanted to enjoy it, really. And I did, for the most part. Ellen Page was terrific, and nearly everyone else in the cast was very good (I especially liked Jason Bateman and J.K. Simmons). But I thought that, on the whole, it was just a little too precious for my taste. Juno herself is so otherworldly, so obviously NOT 16 (I don't mean physically, I'm talking intellectually) that it took me out of the picture. But the worst part, for me, was the awful music and quote songs unquote, that just screamed "independent film!!!!" As did the vast majority of the tertiary characters, most especially the ones who were supposed to be Juno's high school "peers." Bad "Napoleon Dynamite" acting on the part of Juno and Bleeker's lab partners, for instance. Did the good outweigh the bad? Yes, for the most part. But unlike many others who seem to think that "Juno" is "A" worthy, I'd give it a nice solid "B." With lesser actors in the primary roles, it would have been a "D".

The second half of my double feature needed to be something completely different. The megaplex near me was only showing "No Country for Old Men" at 9 PM, so I had to settle for my second choice: "Before The Devil Knows You're Dead".

Directed by the great Sidney Lumet (the original "12 Angry Men," "Serpico," "Dog Day Afternoon," "Murder on the Orient Express" and "Network"), this drama stars Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei, and Albert Finney. I'm not going to give away too much of the plot, except to say that it revolves around 2 brothers who are both having money problems. One comes up with the perfect, foolproof plan: they'll rob their own parents' jewelry store. But when the robbery goes wrong, things start to fall apart. Why this movie didn't get more press, a larger advertising budget, and more meat in the seats is beyond me. It's far from perfect. Lumet is no Quentin Tarantino when it comes to telling a narrative out of sequence. He's also no Akira Kurosawa, to whose "Rashomon" this movie owes a debt or two as well. But the acting is first-rate, the story is well plotted and executed, and this movie deserved a much bigger audience than it got. I'd give it an A-.

I'm hoping to catch "Sweeney Todd" and "No Country for Old Men" tomorrow.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

geoffil

#2 Post by geoffil » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:28 am

I agree with you regarding the music for Juno. The ending song was the worst. It was horrible. Ellen Page was great, but I would not give it an A. My 12 year old daughter loved and did think that it was not realistic.

dimmzy

#3 Post by dimmzy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:13 am

Thanks for your movie reviews! Since my local paper's movie critic retired and wasn't replaced, I've looked for a good critic.

You have the job.

What were your favorite movies of the year?

--dimmzy, who usually waits until the movies come to TV unless she's looking for a movie to take her nieces and nephews to ...

KillerTomato

#4 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:05 pm

dimmzy wrote:Thanks for your movie reviews! Since my local paper's movie critic retired and wasn't replaced, I've looked for a good critic.

You have the job.

What were your favorite movies of the year?

--dimmzy, who usually waits until the movies come to TV unless she's looking for a movie to take her nieces and nephews to ...

Unfortunately, I'd be a lousy critic these days, since I don't get to go to the movies nearly as much as I'd like to. Just too damn busy.

Which is why I have a very short list of "favorites" for the year...I just haven't seen that many. The best thing I saw in 2007 was actually made in 2006: "Pan's Labyrinth". Dark, violent fantasy and hyper reality about a young girl in 1940s Spain who escapes to a fantasy world to get away from her fascist (literally) father and the horrors of post-Civil War life around her. This is no kiddie movie, unlike my second favorite:

"Ratatouille": Then again, it's a cartoon, but I'm not sure I'd call it a kiddie movie either. Like all great Pixar/Disney movies, this works on multiple levels. But it's got a good cast, great animation, a terrific story, and it'll both make you laugh and break your heart.

I'd put the above-mentioned "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" next. While it's not perfect, it's damn good.

Next: "Superbad". Stop laughing at me! Yes, it's raunchy. Yes, it's simplistic. Yes, it's a teen comedy. But yes, it's funny as hell.

"The Simpsons Movie". I acknowledge that's it's little more than a very very long episode of the TV series, but since I love the series, it goes to follow that I'd love the movie, and I do.

And finally, "The Bourne Ultimatum". I actually saw the original "Bourne Identity" when it first came out, and liked it. But when the "Ultimatum" came out on DVD, I caught all three (with "Supremacy") in a row, and found them to be exciting, taut, well-acted thrillers. Intelligent and almost believable, too.

BTW, other movies of 2006 I loved in 2007: "The Departed" (of course, since I'm a huge Scorsese fan). "Children of Men". And "Letters from Iwo Jima".
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

TheCalvinator24

#5 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:06 pm

KillerTomato wrote:The best thing I saw in 2007 was actually made in 2006: "Pan's Labyrinth". Dark, violent fantasy and hyper reality about a young girl in 1940s Spain who escapes to a fantasy world to get away from her fascist (literally) father and the horrors of post-Civil War life around her.
I just watched this last night. This movie is Fantastic!!!!!!

"Ratatouille": Then again, it's a cartoon, but I'm not sure I'd call it a kiddie movie either. Like all great Pixar/Disney movies, this works on multiple levels. But it's got a good cast, great animation, a terrific story, and it'll both make you laugh and break your heart.
Haven't seen it, but I will. My mom thought it was terrific.
I'd put the above-mentioned "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" next. While it's not perfect, it's damn good.
Haven't seen it. Will catch it on DVD.
Next: "Superbad". Stop laughing at me! Yes, it's raunchy. Yes, it's simplistic. Yes, it's a teen comedy. But yes, it's funny as hell.
I liked it, but not as much as you. Yes, it's funny. I laughed out loud more than I usually do at a movie.
"The Simpsons Movie". I acknowledge that's it's little more than a very very long episode of the TV series, but since I love the series, it goes to follow that I'd love the movie, and I do.
Eh. So-So
And finally, "The Bourne Ultimatum". I actually saw the original "Bourne Identity" when it first came out, and liked it. But when the "Ultimatum" came out on DVD, I caught all three (with "Supremacy") in a row, and found them to be exciting, taut, well-acted thrillers. Intelligent and almost believable, too.
Gonna catch the trilogy on DVD
BTW, other movies of 2006 I loved in 2007: "The Departed" (of course, since I'm a huge Scorsese fan). "Children of Men". And "Letters from Iwo Jima".
Loved The Departed. Will get around to watching Children of Men someday. Letters was significantly superior to Flags of Our Fathers.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

fantine33

#6 Post by fantine33 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:53 pm

Is that based on a book? I seem to remember a Lawrence Block (maybe) novel with that title.

Is it just me, or has this been a very thin year for movies?

When my sister and I see Sweeney Todd on Tuesday, I think it will be the first time in over a year that I've seen a movie at the theater. It's partly due to health stuff from earlier this year when I didn't feel like going anywhere I didnt have to, but it's mostly because there's never anything that looks good enough to unass the couch and hike over to the Cinemark.

KillerTomato

#7 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:00 pm

fantine33 wrote:Is that based on a book? I seem to remember a Lawrence Block (maybe) novel with that title.

When my sister and I see Sweeney Todd on Tuesday, I think it will be the first time in over a year that I've seen a movie at the theater. It's partly due to health stuff from earlier this year when I didn't feel like going anywhere I didnt have to, but it's mostly because there's never anything that looks good enough to unass the couch and hike over to the Cinemark.

According to IMDb, it's an original screenplay by Kelly Masterson. And I looked up the Block book (the title is similar, but he dropped the "Before") and found it's one of the Matthew Scudder books. Definitely not the same, then.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

KillerTomato

#8 Post by KillerTomato » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:23 pm

fantine33 wrote:Is that based on a book? I seem to remember a Lawrence Block (maybe) novel with that title.

Whoops, forgot to answer the rest of your question!

Thin? Maybe a little. As usual, most of the really really good stuff comes in December and January. I can't judge most of what I've read good reviews about, simply because either I haven't had time to see it, or it hasn't opened here.

There's been some good movies, though. Not good enough to be called "best" or "favorite," but good nonetheless. I really enjoyed Harry Potter 5, for instance, but A) it's not as good as "Prisoner of Azkaban" and B) it was TOO DAMN SHORT. David Yates was so determined to make "Order" the shortest in the series, he didn't realize that sometimes shorter is NOT better. But it was still fun.

I did LOVE "Zodiac," too, but it was released SO LONG AGO that I've nearly forgotten it. What the hell were they thinking, releasing such a good flick in MARCH, for goodness sake? That's the movie graveyard.

"3:10 to Yuma" wasn't awful. "300" wasn't terrible. "1408" was better than it should have been (hmm...three better than average movies with numbers in the title....) "Knocked Up" was damn funny, if a bit sitcom-y. But I'll reserve my "best of" list until I've seen "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood," "Sweeney Todd," "Away From Her," "Atonement" and "Eastern Promises" (which is on my list of DVDs to get after I've made a dent in my current list of "movies I've bought but haven't watched").
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:34 am

I saw Juno, thought it was cute and clever, well written, but went for clever lines occasionally at the expense of real emotion. It is quite similar to Lars and the Real Girl, but I thought that Juno was funnier while Lars actually managed a bit more sincere emotion, in part due to Ryan Gosling's performance.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead has dropped off the Oscar radar with the possible exception of a sympathy director nomination for Lumet. That's a shame because it is one of the best movies of the year. Another movie that hasn't gotten nearly the attention it deserves is Gone Baby Gone, which would make my Top Ten list for the year. Zodiac will be totally neglected by the Oscar voters and that's a disgrace because it is easily one of the best of the year. In the Valley of Elah is another that should have fared better than it dead. Tommy Lee Jones deserves an Oscar nomination for his performance.

Sweeney Todd and Atonement were slight disappointments, well made movies that did not live up to their hype.

The one film I haven't seen but am really looking forward to is There Will Be Blood.

Spock

#10 Post by Spock » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:39 am

KillerTomato wrote:
dimmzy wrote:
Which is why I have a very short list of "favorites" for the year...I just haven't seen that many. The best thing I saw in 2007 was actually made in 2006: "Pan's Labyrinth". Dark, violent fantasy and hyper reality about a young girl in 1940s Spain who escapes to a fantasy world to get away from her fascist (literally) father and the horrors of post-Civil War life around her. This is no kiddie movie, unlike my second favorite:
I have not seen Pan's Labyrinth yet-it is on my list-but the description and reviews remind me of a movie from a few years that I really liked "The Devil's Backbone." Another children in the Spanish Civil War movie.

On the subject of fascism/communism in movies I had to laugh at the recent review I read of "The Lives of Others"-I think it was in the Minneapolis Star Tribune-the reviewer described the movie as a portrayal of the effects of fascism on the participants-He specifically said Fascism and not Communism-Methinks he was seeing Dick Cheney under his bed.

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:31 am

Need to figure out what we'll watch tonight (aside from each other :twisted: ). Can't go out b/c of Midnight's recovery. Off the top of my head, the unviewed choices are:

The West Wing, from about mid-season 5 to the end.
Broadway's Lost Treasures (a set I received for the holidays)
Night Court, season 1 (purchased about two months ago on a whim)
Pixar Short Subjects collection

Among the sort-of-viewed are:

The Lion King (DVD deluxe version; don't think we've seen it since it originally came out in theaters)
Meet the Robinsons (which needs multiple viewings to catch all the in-jokes)
Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (to figure out what the heck was going on in the first hour)

I'm sure there are more that we own in each category. There's also local TV's Stooge-a-thon, about 12 hours of non-stop 3 Stooges episodes. I don't think GW will go for that one, though. :)

Decisions, decisions ...
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#12 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:00 pm

KillerTomato wrote:"3:10 to Yuma" wasn't awful.
I really liked 3:10 to Yuma. Maybe I am shallow, but I thought that Russell Crowe looked really good in the movie and few actors play bad as well as he does.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#13 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:22 pm

KillerTomato wrote:There's been some good movies, though. Not good enough to be called "best" or "favorite," but good nonetheless. I really enjoyed Harry Potter 5, for instance, but A) it's not as good as "Prisoner of Azkaban" and B) it was TOO DAMN SHORT. David Yates was so determined to make "Order" the shortest in the series, he didn't realize that sometimes shorter is NOT better. But it was still fun.
JMHO, it's the worst so far. I second KT's motion, it was just too short. A bunch of the "action" takes place in conversations, and they left some things unresolved. I agree with the people who objected here when it first came out that Chang shouldn't have been hung with betraying the DA. It just gave the screenwriter an easy out for breaking her up with Harry. And what about the scene where James hangs Snape upside down -- that's never resolved either. Are they going to try to resolve it in Six or Seven? Good luck ... And Umbridge never fesses up that she sent the Dementors.

(Theoretical) SciencePAF's niece watches the movies but doesn't read the books. I'll be very interested in her take.

TheCalvinator24

#14 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:05 pm

Spock wrote: I have not seen Pan's Labyrinth yet-it is on my list-but the description and reviews remind me of a movie from a few years that I really liked "The Devil's Backbone." Another children in the Spanish Civil War movie.
Maybe because they were both written/produced/directed by Guillermo Del Toro.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore